Gulf island choices

Hey all-

I’m planning a run across the straights in a few weeks for fish/crab/shrimp action. It will be my first time going over there so it should a fun exploratory weekend. Just wanted to see if anyone had some input on how to approach the area during winter- not looking for your honey holes just some tips or suggestions! I was planning on hitting Saturna/Tumbo as it will be the closest spot I can get to. My other options were to run to mayne or Galiano- just not sure if I should run through the pass and fish the west side of some of the islands or stick to the east side. I understand that certain places will have bad tide rip for pots and I also am aware of the rockfish closures and sponge reefs- I have been trying to study all the maps so I’m not a complete idiot out there. Thank you in advance and hopefully the weather will cooperate and I will have some reports to share!

I’ve had some moderate crabbing success in plumper sound and there’s some interesting structure and current off East Point. Best part of Saturna - at least in the summer - is the Sage Hayward winery. Rolling up to their private dock for lunch and beverages while the traps soak is the dolce vita.

Hey all-

I’m planning a run across the straights in a few weeks for fish/crab/shrimp action. It will be my first time going over there so it should a fun exploratory weekend. Just wanted to see if anyone had some input on how to approach the area during winter- not looking for your honey holes just some tips or suggestions! I was planning on hitting Saturna/Tumbo as it will be the closest spot I can get to. My other options were to run to mayne or Galiano- just not sure if I should run through the pass and fish the west side of some of the islands or stick to the east side. I understand that certain places will have bad tide rip for pots and I also am aware of the rockfish closures and sponge reefs- I have been trying to study all the maps so I’m not a complete idiot out there. Thank you in advance and hopefully the weather will cooperate and I will have some reports to share!
Where are you planning to launch from? I'm thinking the same as you and wonder about launching from Crescent Beach but you cross US waters so not sure how that works.

Where are you planning to launch from? I'm thinking the same as you and wonder about launching from Crescent Beach but you cross US waters so not sure how that works.
There is no problem crossing US waters, as long as you don't fish,f#ck, anchor or land etc. in that area. Transiting waters contiguous to the US and Canada is fine and agreed upon.

Yeah I’m coming from pt bob- didn’t think about pulling pots and if that’s legal or not as a yankee… gonna have to look into that one.
I’ve had some moderate crabbing success in plumper sound and there’s some interesting structure and current off East Point. Best part of Saturna - at least in the summer - is the Sage Hayward winery. Rolling up to their private dock for lunch and beverages while the traps soak is the dolce vita.
Was definitely gonna try to set some pots around navy channel and plumper. Would love to be able to stop at a winery during the day! Definitely will look into that in the summer months

Yeah I’m coming from pt bob- didn’t think about pulling pots and if that’s legal or not as a yankee… gonna have to look into that one.

Was definitely gonna try to set some pots around navy channel and plumper. Would love to be able to stop at a winery during the day! Definitely will look into that in the summer months
I assume you mean pt. Roberts? You will have to clear customs to be in the Gulf Islands if that is the case. you have to run back into Cresent Beach to clear or Poets Cove would be the next closest I think. You would also need non-resident fishing licence as well of course.

That being said I have has some success fishing inside Tumbo. There are some crab between Cabbage Island and Tumbo as well. Lot of prawning spots inside the islands as well. Just look at your charts and just about anywhere that goes from less than 100 feet of depth and drops off to 250+ will have shrimp on it.

I assume you mean pt. Roberts? You will have to clear customs to be in the Gulf Islands if that is the case. you have to run back into Cresent Beach to clear or Poets Cove would be the next closest I think. You would also need non-resident fishing licence as well of course.

That being said I have has some success fishing inside Tumbo. There are some crab between Cabbage Island and Tumbo as well. Lot of prawning spots inside the islands as well. Just look at your charts and just about anywhere that goes from less than 100 feet of depth and drops off to 250+ will have shrimp on it.
Yes point roberts. thank you for the input! Yeah we have nexus so I think we just have to call to clear customs. We have struggled in the past getting numbers of shrimp at pt roberts so it might be worth while for us to run to the islands.

Back