Whose Side are You On? NHL vs Players

After the last few days, how is anyone not on the NHL's side now? Donald Fehr is a ****ing idiot, arrogant *******.

I'm not. Where has the NHL moved. What's the common factor in this and previous labour disputes, Gary Bettman. He should be fired! What you call Fehr, and I'm not a fan, is mild to what i think of Bettman!

You got in a car crash once, then again, but since you had previously gotten into one does it make you automatically responsible for the 2nd? No, it doesn't. Same with Bettman. The NHL asked the NHLPA to negotiate during the past season but they said no, or rather Donald Fehr said no as he thought he could strong arm them. This is all on Fehr now, the guys an idiot and has an ego even bigger than that of Bettman's. If you look at the NBA, and NFL last negotiations, the players in both leagues gained little to nothing, it was just about how much they had to give up. That's the situation we are in now with the US economy the way it is...millions of citizens have given up a lot yet the players think they are above that. They say they just want to play, but won't give in to A LONGER CBA so this doesn't happen again in 5-6 years...are you serious?

Every union wants to get the longest contract possible,most of the time.I think Bettman played his cards very nicely at yesterdays press conference and I'm not a Bettman fan.There is no way Fehr and Bettman will be able to resolve this ,there needs to be a major game change.

That I"ll agree with...and it is odd that the union doesn't want a long contract...only 6 years...not a good way to get PR on your side.

i think Bettman is responsible for a lot of the issues they use to negotiate against the players.

Are the players responsible for teams not being relocated to cities where they could make money. No that is Bettman's stubborness in not allowing Phoenix to be moved and the Florida and Nashville teams to be moved. Although he has no problems with a Canadian team being moved and correct me if I'm wrong he was here when those things happened.

I don't agee with what players get paid but it's the owners that signed them to these insane contracts this off season and now they are trying to roll them back with this agreement. Is that negotiating in good faith. Why did they sign them to that in the first place.

I also don't agree what the owners are making and if you don't think they are then check out what an NHL team is worth. I'm not fans of either one. I can't even afford to go to a game but if i have to choose i side with the players. The NHL is taking a hard line and the players will be giving up, it's just how much.

Bettman has hurt this league right from day one with his policies. That's my opinion and your welcome to your own.

Seems to me that the players want there cake and want to eat it too. Would you label, or could you call the NHL player's that are playing in Europe, ''SCABS'' ? Doesn't seem right to me that they are over there playing. Or even other NHL players that are playing in the AHL, and what about the ones that are still able to play Jr. and are going to try out for there respective Jr. teams and play in the World Jr's. Maybe the owner's should fire everybody, dismantle the league and start over, cause this is bull ca-ca!!

Maybe they should. A total cleansing would probably be good. It's come to the point with me that I don't really care if they loose the season. If they can look back at it and realize fans and all the other elements are the ones they are hurting and now this may hurt both of themselves, then maybe they'll make some changes in their leaderships. Maybe in the long run that is what is needed.

On the point of the players going overseas, i don't know what to think of that. i do respect the ones that stuck around more and some of the ones that left, I would prefer stayed. But when you take a guy like Cory Schneider who's been in on the negotiations and he finally just gives up. What does it tell you? The owners are able to carry on with their other bussinesses so it is a little different than a Plant or something being shut down.

I have to admit I just can't get past seeing and listening to a pissed off Gary Bettman try to lay out their case to the point of seeing anymore than a few sounbytes on it. So i don't have their whole recent story. i just think if the NHL wanted to get something done they could have come at this a lot differently and a lot sooner in the first place rather than these offers of this is it, case closed take it now or it's off the table style of negotiating that Bettman employs.

owners are owners, step up and buy a team if yer a player and want in on risk and profit.

yup, professional sports are definately screwed up! No arguing with that. The owners had a hand in this too. They should have stopped giving out these contracts and kept ticket prices at a level, so families with kids could go to an occasional game. is that going to happen in the healthy markets? Not very likely. Unfortunately, it is just a bussiness now. I'm looking forward to the World Juniors.

whole thing sickens me now - salary is ridiculous, the rich get richer, they whine and snivel about needing money for a short career, yadda yadda yadda. Perspective though - lets say the average career is 15 years - 20 to 35. Lets say they made a generous $2million/year. Thats $30million over a career. They could 'spend' 500k a year during career, living more than comfortable, retire at 35, and then they would have $375k/year in earnings for the rest of their life if they did nothing more. You know what, thats up there amongst the most important people in the world and MORE than generous.

Lets get real, WTF do people NEED $10m a year for???

If the idiot fans would actually boycott when/if the season or hockey ever starts again and these chumps play for an empty arena for a week, THEN they may realize who they should be listening to.

In the meantime, the concession workers, janitors, security guys, waitresses, bartenders, hotel workers relying on them just looking for their $20-30k/year are getting screwed.

This stuff makes me sick.

If they ever get back to playing watch it on tv but dont buy anything with a NHL tag or player endorsement , got to hit them where it counts in the money belt , we'd see the games but they would hurt with the lack of sales ........ trust me they wouldnt like it but they forget where the heck the money comes from ! they lost the love of the game for the greed of the game .......

I had to look for a link to some info on what the average player's career boils down to in earnings and the duration. It's not as good as you'd think and if he gets into concussion issues that could effect them for th rest of their lives. http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl-lockout/2012/09/16/spector_nhl_lockout_2012_odds_on_the_owners/

I don't buy it - that whole argument they portray is irrelevant - average career only 4 years? 80% of those would likely because they just aren't good enough....so what, time to get a real job like the rest of us. 18% probably are because of career ending injury where they can still function fine and get a real job (too damn bad if they chose to be a high school dropout). Maybe 2% have injuries so severe that they can no longer function in the real world and their life is destroyed. Chit happens. We could end up in a wheelchair tomorrow just walking across the street. My friend is on lifelong disability with a brain injury after a snowmobile accident. This can happen to anyone.

They don't get 1 bit of compassion from me. They aren't getting paid, can't pay the bills? WTF did they do with the $5-50 million they earned over the last 5 years? Not my fault they blew it all and haven't planned properly for a future that could be cut short. So what if they are bottom of the scale players making $850k/year - if they make it 5 years, they make more than I will make full time in 70 years and I live comfortably.

I call that just a biased article for the players and nothing more....cry me a river.

They don't get 1 bit of compassion from me. They aren't getting paid, can't pay the bills? WTF did they do with the $5-50 million they earned over the last 5 years? Not my fault they blew it all and haven't planned properly for a future that could be cut short. So what if they are bottom of the scale players making $850k/year - if they make it 5 years, they make more than I will make full time in 70 years and I live comfortably.

I call that just a biased article for the players and nothing more....cry me a river.

Here, here, very well said.

Not saying the billionaires deserve any love either, but seriously, all this btching over profit sharing?? The billionaires are the ones putting up 100s of millions to buy the team and ensure the day to day operation of the team. Why do the players even deserve such a high % of the pie? I look at my firm. There are guys at the top - they are the ones totally exposed to the risk and thus get the chunk of the profits, yet without us the workers, they have no business. No different than any professional team. Should I get 50% of the profits? Hell no. I don't expect it - I'm happy just to get a little extra bonus at xmas, I'm happy I have a job. If the players want that kind of profit, then they should damn well take the losses out of their pocket when the team loses money too. It's screwed up - not just hockey, every pro league out there have nothing but greedy righteous pigs who think they deserve more than double a year (at a starting wage), then the most important person in the world (bama).

I think the BC Ferries have the same kind of model actually.

The best thing that could happen is that they come back for a half a season, but every fan writes the entire season off and stays away for the balance. A message that both sides forgot about the most important part of their business...us!!!

I bet you the juniors will BREAK all records on viewership people love hockey me being one of them i can hardly wait my butt will be pluncked on the couch...

Back