Harbour Authority...

Skins88

So, we were cruising up the North Arm yesterday. Navigating past a slow moving barge as we're coming up to the Arthur Lang Bridge. Just as we go past the HA pops out of the middle arm and flags us down. Long story short he said we threw some wake at the fuel dock on the south side just before the middle arm. We were more concerned with passing the barge safely. Lectured us on being responsible for our wake etc. I asked if there was a speed limit that I was unaware of, and he said no, just have to be responsible for your wake. OK, fine. He peels off and we power up and head around the corner to the middle arm, headed for the no wake zone couple hundred yards ahead. At this point, there are four or five tugs tied to a wharf on the right. Guy starts blasting his horn and yelling at us.... Seems like these guys in the tugs called the HA and complained. Most guys hit the gas after the no wake zone, so I'm sure they see a bit of wake. But we are talking about some pretty large boats, basically on the main stem. The fuel dock is definitely on the main stem.

What do you guys think? Always slow down when passing a dock? In my smaller 19 foot bow rider I've almost been swamped by tug wake. Are they in the wrong?

Just curious, cause the whole thing seemed ridiculous, but maybe I'm missing something.

I’ve never slowed to a crawl there ever. I stay mid River tho. I see tugs throw up huge waves against that gas station. I always see any boat docked there rocking up and down. It’s a ****** location. I always slow once around the corner in the 5 knot zone on the way to the Richmond fuel dock. Always.

Last edited:
you are responsible for any damage or injury caused by the negligent operation of your vessel, including wake damage, on a big ebb there's often standing waves there

Last edited:
Interesting, we were also stopped by the Port Authority

1682909851868.png

yesterday we were heading east towards Indian Arm and were still about 100 metres west of Cates Park and were in mid channel.

There was a gaggle (12-15) of Kayakers about 200 metres east of us crossing north. As a motorcyclist I am a fan of kayakes and paddleboarders who wear Hi-Viz jackets. Over half of them were in black jackets in dark hulled boats and were hard to see. The Hi-viz jackets were the safety and visiblilty paddlers for the group.

I saw the Port Authority boat coming towards us (I had to really look to see their blue lights)and we were running about 10 knots smalll wake.

They stopped us and asks me if I saw the kayaks and I said yes and that is why I have been slowing down.

The officer reminded me that I was responsible, " for any damage or injury caused by the negligent operation of your vessel, including wake damage."

I said that i was aware of that and that was why I was slowing from a distance.

I mentioned that their Blue Lights were difficult to see and they said they knew that.

By the time we stopped chatting the kayaks were crossing in front of us,

They thanked me and we wished each other well and off we went .

Incidentially, the kayaks were moving at about 6 knots and I was tiny, tiny ripple wake at 8 knots and it took forever to get in front of them and then we were in the 5 knot zone heading near Deep Cove.

Last edited:
So, we were cruising up the North Arm yesterday. Navigating past a slow moving barge as we're coming up to the Arthur Lang Bridge. Just as we go past the HA pops out of the middle arm and flags us down. Long story short he said we threw some wake at the fuel dock on the south side just before the middle arm. We were more concerned with passing the barge safely. Lectured us on being responsible for our wake etc. I asked if there was a speed limit that I was unaware of, and he said no, just have to be responsible for your wake. OK, fine. He peels off and we power up and head around the corner to the middle arm, headed for the no wake zone couple hundred yards ahead. At this point, there are four or five tugs tied to a wharf on the right. Guy starts blasting his horn and yelling at us.... Seems like these guys in the tugs called the HA and complained. Most guys hit the gas after the no wake zone, so I'm sure they see a bit of wake. But we are talking about some pretty large boats, basically on the main stem. The fuel dock is definitely on the main stem.

What do you guys think? Always slow down when passing a dock? In my smaller 19 foot bow rider I've almost been swamped by tug wake. Are they in the wrong?

Just curious, cause the whole thing seemed ridiculous, but maybe I'm missing something.
There’s set speed limit of 10K in BC and Alberta if you are within 30 metres of shore, assuming nothing else is posted .Not sure if this applies in your case?

I’ve never slowed to a crawl there ever. I stay mid River tho. I see tugs throw up huge waves against that gas station. I always see any boat docked there rocking up and down. It’s a ****** location. I always slow once around the corner in the 5 mph on the way to the Richmond fuel dock. Always.
I tend to agree. The fuel dock is in a **** spot. Even the tug guys are going to catch a lot of wake even though they are a bit around the corner. And yeah, slow down for the designated no wake zone.

you are responsible for any damage or injury caused by the negligent operation of your vessel, including wake damage, on a big ebb there's often standing waves there
Appreciate the responsibility for wake. My 20 foot boat doesn't throw much on plane. Slowing down for standing waves would probably throw more wake. Haven't seen more than a ripple in that spot. I'll be aware if heading out on a big ebb. Thanks.

There’s set speed limit of 10K in BC and Alberta if you are within 30 metres of shore, assuming nothing else is posted .Not sure if this applies in your case?
I'd have to get the measuring tape out. My boat throws a lot more wake at 10 knots than 23 though.

Slow down across that channel because it's not nice how's that?
I will for sure, now that I know some guys on a, I dunno 50 to 60 foot tug can't handle a little rocking and rolling. And yeah, even the gas station in a silly spot, sure, I'm a nice guy. If someone is fueling up I'll slow down. All good. Just curious where this ends on a busy river, with boat traffic and docks all over the place.

I guess I just feel like, I've been the subject of many wakes rocking and rolling me over the years and all I've ever thought is, guess I need a bigger boat to play with the big boys. I mean you should see the pounding my Bayliner took tied up in Osoyoos as the wake boats cruised by all day. Never thought the harbour authority should show up and slow them down.

I'm all for safety, but I think some people are confusing that with comfort.

Ok, I got it all out. Not necessarily directed at you ship's. And I'm still curious to hear thoughts. Maybe I'm still seeing this all wrong.

I will for sure, now that I know some guys on a, I dunno 50 to 60 foot tug can't handle a little rocking and rolling. And yeah, even the gas station in a silly spot, sure, I'm a nice guy. If someone is fueling up I'll slow down. All good. Just curious where this ends on a busy river, with boat traffic and docks all over the place.

I guess I just feel like, I've been the subject of many wakes rocking and rolling me over the years and all I've ever thought is, guess I need a bigger boat to play with the big boys. I mean you should see the pounding my Bayliner took tied up in Osoyoos as the wake boats cruised by all day. Never thought the harbour authority should show up and slow them down.

I'm all for safety, but I think some people are confusing that with comfort.

Ok, I got it all out. Not necessarily directed at you ship's. And I'm still curious to hear thoughts. Maybe I'm still seeing this all wrong.
I guess you got that one figured out eh ? Cheers to that

Everyone should have respect for their neighbors !

Everyone should have respect for their neighbors

Everyone should have respect for their neighbors !
I certainly don't have it all figured out. Hence me sharing on a public forum.

So do you slow down everytime you pass a smaller boat so your wake doesn't bother them? I like to get along and respect my neighbors. Just wondering where the limit is here, and if we are all slowing down for smaller boats and docks along our routes? If we are, then I guess I'm out of line.

Gotcha, my bad, sensitive area. The tugs could slow down however they have a job to do. Tough game. However slow down past people's warfs and docks, be kind it's all we have

Sometimes it's not so much the rocking as it is getting everyone wet and sometimes getting a drink of riverwater in the open tanks

In addition to what is stated in the Canada Shipping Act - any designated Harbour Authority can add to whatever navigation restrictions already exist - but only within the area encompassed by their letters of Patent.

So, knowing the Canada Shipping Act and especially the Collision Regulations and Rule 6 - Safe Speed is actually the 1st tier of speed restrictions - among other potentially relevant/applicable restrictions including Notices to Mariners and/or Notices to Shipping:

It states:

Every vessel shall at all times proceed at a safe speed so that she can take proper and effective action to avoid collision and be stopped within a distance appropriate to the prevailing circumstances and conditions.

In determining a safe speed the following factors shall be among those taken into account:

• (a)
    By all vessels:

• (i) the state of visibility,
    • (ii) the traffic density including concentrations of fishing vessels or any other vessels,
    • (iii) the manoeuvrability of the vessel with special reference to stopping distance and turning ability in the prevailing conditions,
    • (iv) at night the presence of background light such as from shore lights or from back scatter of her own lights,
    • (v) the state of wind, sea and current, and the proximity of navigational hazards,
    • (vi) the draught in relation to the available depth of water.
  • (b)
    Additionally, by vessels with operational radar:

• (i) the characteristics, efficiency and limitations of the radar equipment,
    • (ii) any constraints imposed by the radar range scale in use,
    • (iii) the effect on radar detection of the sea state, weather and other sources of interference,
    • (iv) the possibility that small vessels, ice and other floating objects may not be detected by radar at an adequate range,
    • (v) the number, location and movement of vessels detected by radar,
    • (vi) the more exact assessment of the visibility that may be possible when radar is used to determine the range of vessels or other objects in the vicinity.

Safe Speed — Canadian Modifications​

• (c) In the Canadian waters of a roadstead, harbour, river, lake or inland waterway, every vessel passing another vessel or work that includes a dredge, tow, grounded vessel or wreck shall proceed with caution at a speed that will not adversely affect the vessel or work being passed, and shall comply with any relevant instruction or direction contained in any Notice to Mariners or Notice to Shipping.
  • (d) For the purpose of paragraph (c), where it cannot be determined with certainty that a passing vessel will not adversely affect another vessel or work described in that paragraph, the passing vessel shall proceed with caution at the minimum speed at which she can be kept on her course.

That's good info for sure. Not sure it applies here as wake was the issue, not so much speed.

Not sure of the area but if guys are working on the booms I’d imagine they’d be pissed at the wake.
I could see them being upset. That's a scary job. It was these guys here at Mercury tug.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230501_172114_Maps.jpg
    Screenshot_20230501_172114_Maps.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 68
Back