Whose Side are You On? NHL vs Players

We'll all be watching hockey in a month or so and enjoying it. The players are the best in the world at what they do..... overpaid? probably... but every single one of them has worked extremely hard for 10-15 years of their life, earning little to nothing along the way and all the while have no guarantees... owners are to blame lol.

We'll all be watching hockey in a month or so and enjoying it. The players are the best in the world at what they do..... overpaid? probably... but every single one of them has worked extremely hard for 10-15 years of their life, earning little to nothing along the way and all the while have no guarantees... owners are to blame lol.

And the previous agreement gave them 57%..... Now Fatman says 50-50 and Serengeti says that is cool...But the league has changed what they call revenue.... pocketing more for them selves.
Bring on the WHA... it has happened before...

Without the players there would be no sport.... Go Royals

PLAYERS are the greedy bastards they have a contract to play NHL now a lot of them are going over to europe to play well you know what stay there then especially OV. NOw alot of them are getting hurt just awesome and most are playing for a lot less $$$$$ so you know where they stand......
their paid a **** load to play a "GAME" they love they dont have to worry about there flights.food,hotel stay (nice perk) btw.

As far as im concerned the owner is well the OWNER hes the one taking all the risk esspecially in a smaller market (why is the islanders moving) cant make any money!!!! Can you imagine if any of us and went to our bosses and said ok man your the owner but I want 50% of what you take in here plus my wages ...... what do you think your boss would say??????

wolf

Soldiers give their lives defending our rights for a hell of a lot less.

Players
Love how everybody is jealous of someone making more than them so lets cut them down to size a bit, pathetic really.
It's the same thing every time someone who is making more money tries for a raise, or in this case hang on to their legally signed contracts they negotiated. Fire the greedy bastards they are lucky to be making that kind of coin.
If you don't like the piddly little wage you are making, do something about it. Upgrade your skills so you are worth more.
Instead most people these days prefer the Chinification model, except when it comes to themselves of course.
I think your kid working at Mickey D's should only be getting $3 an hr rather than the full minimum wage, who is worth that kind of money for flipping burgers?
And last but certainly not last, Bettman is an a$$!

I hear the KHL is televising games in the US now. Also scheduled to play a couple of games in the US.

That may add some urgency to the matter for the owners. ;-)

I say let the NHLPA buy the rinks and take the financial risks, then they can take 100% of the profits.

Wolf...the players are after a larger portion of the "league" revenue not the owners gate and associated revenues. In other words TV revenues and the like. I think 50-50 is more than fair as the league has costs involved with negotiating those deals...lawyers etc...the players don't. I've talked to a few ex-players and none so far support the current players position. They are thinking like most of us...they should be playing.

The players wages are set so high because the owners were willing to pay. It is the owners who get into the bidding wars for these guys thus setting the mark for the next player. The owners have made their bed and now they don't want to sleep in it. I think the players would play for much less but if they give Bettman and the owners an inch I bet they will take a mile. I don't blame the the players at all. They are the talent and as long as the fans show up to watch, pay the the talent.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Average fan these days cant afford to watch games live day in day out its all corperate BS. Fans arent considered, we should get a 25 per cent cut of the Revenues from the owners, take that to the table. My opinion both sides are greedy. The onus is on the Players who already get paid too much, the Owners take the financial risks.

The whole thing is BS and both sides are obviously greedy....... All games now cancelled to the end of Nov. That is a big deal for 3rd and 4th liners who arent getting paid. A large number of players never played another game after the last lock out.

Never cared, the amount of time wasted by grown men watching other grown men play sports is really sad. Way too much Sh*t to do out there then sit around giving a sh*t about guys chasing a puck around.

If you're a hockey junky at least go see the local guys live, they'd love the support - let the rich guys ***** and moan from a golf course all season.

How about all the Littles guys out of work? The concession workers, the guys selling beer and snacks to the crowd, the cab drivers, barmaids it goes on and on.........

It's all a pathetic joke, end of story - we are the ones that pay their wages so what NEEDS to happen (but won't sadly enough) is a TOTAL boycott of the first game in EVERY arena (if we even play this year)....imagine what it would be like for them to play a total empty arena? They may actually get the message that their gig is up without us.

Is it really a hardship to not be there for 1 game? The wheels need to turn and this needs to be in place. Otherwise, if its business as normal and we all welcome them back with open arms, the same chit happens next time the agreements expire.

Hell, if we all did it for 5 games straight, we might even get ticket prices drop to a reasonable price..lol

What do I know though, I've never paid to see a live NHL game....lol

Don't forget no one held a gun to the owners head to sign those contracts. They must respect what they agreed to pay. Does anyone really think that the price of their expensive hot dogs would drop even a nickel for the paying fans in the end. Oh ya and buy the way the players were locked out they did not withdraw their services. Therefore I totally support the players. Bettman is a pompous butt.

The NHL isnt strong enough for all of this and YES i know its total revenue thats why the small markets are suffering... but still wish I was in there shoes ..... maybe let DFO be a mediator and then the NHL can see whats it really like in the "REAL WORLD"

Winter Classic is cancelled.... which is not the biggest deal to me personally but I find it surprising. I guess this BS isnt ending anytime soon.......... what a joke.

I mostly blame the players who really have no finacial investment and get back ridiculous money to play a game the grew up loving.

The owners have all the $$ invested and most don't make anything back on their investment

I mostly blame the players who really have no finacial investment and get back ridiculous money to play a game the grew up loving.

The owners have all the $$ invested and most don't make anything back on their investment
So your saying it 's the owners inability to manage their business that has caused this? Then I agree with you.

So your saying it 's the owners inability to manage their business that has caused this? Then I agree with you.

Nice try on turning my words around on me.

Yeah, those owners must be real idiots to be billionaires in the 1st place........is that what you're saying?

I say again that i mostly blame the players. How about the fans that pay the ridiculous prices for game tickets, food & beverages and apparal?

Back