Who gets your vote in the upcoming Federal Election?

Who gets your vote in the upcoming Federal Election considering sport fishing?

• Liberals

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Conservatives

Votes: 81 70.4%
  • NDP

Votes: 23 20.0%
  • Greens

Votes: 6 5.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Nope, I did put Conservative down on the poll, reluctantly. I do believe that O'Toole is not Harper or the other drip the Conservatives were pushing last election.
main message that concerns me about the cons is they are in bed with fish farms and will likely do all they can to work with them...other than that, I suspect all their 'promises' will be broken, just like the Cowen was under Harper.

Frankly we are screwed regardless who we pick - that I'm certain of so really don't give a crap who gets in.

@GLG and @MRWood I guess we know where the 3 Liberal votes came from on the poll...LOL! All joking aside I don't believe that Trudeau's track record leaves much hope for the Public Fishery with his failure to support sustainable SFAB Chinook proposals, failure to support selective fisheries such as fishtraps. Erin O'toole is not Harper, despite what Trudeau likes say and he is bringing a more rounded approach to fisheries management.

The Fisheries Minister will point to a 2021 announcement of $642 million dollars committed over 5 years to help Pacific Salmon. So far it’s long on talk and short on specifics. To some it looks like more bureaucracy building than actual programs designed to get to the root of the problem.
It’s the Minister’s actions not her words that matter:
1) The Sport Fishing Advisory Board (SFAB) is the Minister’s official advisory body on west coast recreational fishing matters. For the past two years this board has worked in consultation with Pacific Region Fisheries & Oceans staff to develop conservation based, data supported Chinook fisheries in areas where Chinook non-retention has been imposed. These proposals were vetted by Fisheries and Oceans and were rated as low to very low risk to stocks of concern.
What was the Minister’s reaction? Rejection: This rejection included regulation expansion and rejection of even the most modest Chinook retention proposals; complete shutdown of the Fraser River public fishery and increasing shutdowns in the Skeena River, BC’s mightiest salmon rivers.
2) The SFAB, supported by BC angling organizations, has been calling for the government to fin clip 100% of hatchery Chinook, Coho and Steelhead for years. This allows anglers to identify and retain these hatchery produced salmon while releasing all unmarked wild ones. This is particularly valuable when weak wild Chinook runs are mixed with abundant hatchery stocks. It also assists hatchery personnel to quickly identify wild adult salmon from hatchery salmon, to preserve their genetic diversity during brood stock collection.
What was the Minister’s Reaction? Delay by claiming more studies are required. Even with some recently begun pilot projects it will take at least four to six years before results of adopting 100% fin clipping bear harvestable fruit. The recreational fishery cannot survive another four to six years of Chinook non-retention.
Ironically US salmon managers have embraced this same adipose clipping program since 1997. If our Minister needs to find out if it works just make a long distance phone call to Washington State fishery managers.
3) The US currently fin clips between 70-80 million hatchery Chinook salmon annually. Many of these are legally available for BC anglers, who have repeatedly pushed to keep hatchery fin clipped Chinook in areas where there are ample US hatchery Chinook.
Thankyou for taking the time to write this up, however I'm aware of what is going on with issues here on the coast as I have been involved with SFAB/SFAC for well over a decade, maybe two. I was one of the guys that poured over the documents and audited the spreadsheets that we use to help with decisions making that effected our fishing here on the coast. I can't do as much as I have done in the past but I do keep up. I now mostly concern myself with area 14 and other things that come up like Big Bar. For me it was time to step back and let some other folks contribute.

Question for you. What does Wilf say about 100% clipping. How will this effect the Creel Surveys and the Head submissions? How does it effect his spreadsheets that use a scaler to estimate escapement?

Look I know what the strategy is for this election cycle, been there done that and have plenty of war stories. I have watched the sudden interest the Conservatives MP's have in "helping" us gain our desires after their last loss. Those swing seats are well worth the time and energy for them to court the recreational angler. Careful what you wish for.

Use some other non fishing criteria that is important to you to decide who to vote for as it is unlikely any party will fix your fishing concerns.

Thankyou for taking the time to write this up, however I'm aware of what is going on with issues here on the coast as I have been involved with SFAB/SFAC for well over a decade, maybe two. I was one of the guys that poured over the documents and audited the spreadsheets that we use to help with decisions making that effected our fishing here on the coast. I can't do as much as I have done in the past but I do keep up. I now mostly concern myself with area 14 and other things that come up like Big Bar. For me it was time to step back and let some other folks contribute.

Question for you. What does Wilf say about 100% clipping. How will this effect the Creel Surveys and the Head submissions? How does it effect his spreadsheets that use a scaler to estimate escapement?

Look I know what the strategy is for this election cycle, been there done that and have plenty of war stories. I have watched the sudden interest the Conservatives MP's have in "helping" us gain our desires after their last loss. Those swing seats are well worth the time and energy for them to court the recreational angler. Careful what you wish for.
I do appreciate all your efforts and yes I'm also involved in the sfab. I did vote for change in 2015 and supported Justin Trudeau. All it's happened over the last six years is a erosion of access for public fishers, a failure to address gillnets, a closure to even catch and release salmon fishing for Chinook in Vancouver April 1 to August 31. More Marine protected areas that result in loss of access for the public for any kind of sportfishing opportunity.

I would say the same to you be careful what you wish for!

I have had extensive meetings with my local Liberal MP who I believe cares but is unable to influence change with the Trudeau agenda, senior advisers to be Fisheries Minister Jordan and several BC Conservative MP's. I consider myself well informed and educated about the issues. It's never going to be perfect as far as which party represents you on all the issues but I do feel that the Conservatives have put forward a good platform and I have confidence in the BC MP's who were involved in making this happen to deliver out on it!

In case you haven't had a chance to see it here it is:

Pacific Salmon Strategy
The iconic Pacific salmon species are part of the fabric of life for communities throughout British
Columbia and are an essential part of BC’s marine and freshwater ecosystems. While some stocks are
robust, many are under threat. This has consequences for Indigenous peoples, coastal communities,
and commercial and recreational fishers, as well as to the health of BC’s rivers and streams and to
endangered populations like the Southern Resident Killer Whales.
Building on the commitments already outlined above, we will develop a Pacific Salmon Strategy focused
on making measurable progress toward restoring at-risk stocks. This will include:
• Enforcing a strict timeline for the completion of stock assessments;
• Prioritizing funding for community-led habitat restoration or other projects that support
at-risk stocks;
• Ensuring the Salmonid Enhancement Program is sufficiently resourced to support at-risk
stocks;
• Increasing support for and engagement with Indigenous- and community-led hatchery and
enhancement projects;
• Implementing mass-marking programs at BC fish hatcheries and allowing mark-selective
harvest of salmon in BC’s sport fishery, protecting sensitive fish populations while maintaining
the health of BC’s public fishery;
• Creating a pinniped management plan that will address threats to at-risk stocks in a balanced
way; and
• Identifying the likelihood of future threats due to climate change.
Aquaculture
The Conservative Party supports the sustainable development and growth of Canada’s world-leading
aquaculture sector due to its ability to provide a solid economic base in coastal communities, create
stable, long-term employment, and contribute to Canadian food security while succeeding as a leading
Canadian export to global markets.
Internationally, aquaculture is widely seen as an essential source of protein and a key component of
improving global food security. Many shellfish and finfish species are grown throughout Canada, and
many First Nations have pursued aquaculture as a business that can support their communities and
provide meaningful work for their members.
However, we also understand that salmon farming on Canada’s West Coast has been controversial and
that local communities are confused and torn by conflicting studies and claims. Further, we know that
decisions made here could have ripple effects on the East Coast as well.
Conservatives will not take an ideological position on this issue. We want the aquaculture industry to
succeed, but it is a simple fact that this sector can only grow as long as Canadians can have confidence
in our ability to protect wild salmon. Therefore, any decisions related to salmon aquaculture must be
based on robust science, guided by conservation, and be respectful of the communities and families
that rely on these

I do appreciate all your efforts and yes I'm also involved in the sfab. I did vote for change in 2015 and supported Justin Trudeau. All it's happened over the last six years is a erosion of access for public fishers, a failure to address gillnets, a closure to even catch and release salmon fishing for Chinook in Vancouver April 1 to August 31. More Marine protected areas that result in loss of access for the public for any kind of sportfishing opportunity.

I have had extensive meetings with my local Liberal MP who I believe cares but is unable to influence change with the Trudeau agenda, senior advisers to be Fisheries Minister Jordan and several BC Conservative MP's. I consider myself well informed and educated about the issues. It's never going to be perfect as far as which party represents you on all the issues but I do feel that the Conservatives have put forward a good platform and I have confidence in the BC MP's who were involved in making this happen to deliver out on it!

Pacific Salmon Strategy
The iconic Pacific salmon species are part of the fabric of life for communities throughout British
Columbia and are an essential part of BC’s marine and freshwater ecosystems. While some stocks are
robust, many are under threat. This has consequences for Indigenous peoples, coastal communities,
and commercial and recreational fishers, as well as to the health of BC’s rivers and streams and to
Building on the commitments already outlined above, we will develop a Pacific Salmon Strategy focused
on making measurable progress toward restoring at-risk stocks. This will include:
• Prioritizing funding for community-led habitat restoration or other projects that support
at-risk stocks;
• Ensuring the Salmonid Enhancement Program is sufficiently resourced to support at-risk
stocks;
• Increasing support for and engagement with Indigenous- and community-led hatchery and
enhancement projects;
• Implementing mass-marking programs at BC fish hatcheries and allowing mark-selective
harvest of salmon in BC’s sport fishery, protecting sensitive fish populations while maintaining
• Creating a pinniped management plan that will address threats to at-risk stocks in a balanced
way; and
Aquaculture
The Conservative Party supports the sustainable development and growth of Canada’s world-leading
aquaculture sector due to its ability to provide a solid economic base in coastal communities, create
stable, long-term employment, and contribute to Canadian food security while succeeding as a leading
Internationally, aquaculture is widely seen as an essential source of protein and a key component of
improving global food security. Many shellfish and finfish species are grown throughout Canada, and
many First Nations have pursued aquaculture as a business that can support their communities and
However, we also understand that salmon farming on Canada’s West Coast has been controversial and
that local communities are confused and torn by conflicting studies and claims. Further, we know that
Conservatives will not take an ideological position on this issue. We want the aquaculture industry to
succeed, but it is a simple fact that this sector can only grow as long as Canadians can have confidence
in our ability to protect wild salmon. Therefore, any decisions related to salmon aquaculture must be
based on robust science, guided by conservation, and be respectful of the communities and families
that rely on these
What about conservation. I am concerned people on this board are so focused on access that they really don't care about the legitimate conservation concerns. BCSRIF is a legit investment and the conservatives have vowed to go back to their rfcpp program which does not appear to be near as good.

I am on board with Mark selective fisheries, but I think we need to be realistic that restrictions are necessary and pressure needs to be reduced.

I can't just base my vote on fishing alone. I will tell you there is not one candidate I trust with fisheries, small businesses or anything else for that matter. All these promises with trillion dollar debt is out too lunch.

Sad times. 4 parties that are terrible.

Pacific Salmon Strategy
at-risk stocks;
stocks;
enhancement projects;
way; and
Aquaculture
that rely on these
Thanks again for taking the time and yes I have taken a careful read of the Conservatives platform. So would it be fair to say that you are willing to trade access to more salmon for a couple of oil pipelines to the coast?

Didn't Trudeau already buy one of those for us?
I understand that you don't want to admit that you are willing to trade Northern Gateway pipeline for access to more fish.
That's what you will have to live with.

I understand that you don't want to admit that you are willing to trade Northern Gateway pipeline for access to more fish.
I guess you're happy about $12.6-Billion that is being spent to build the TMX pipeline with our tax dollars by Trudeau? Imagine we actually had a prime minister who knew how to let Private Industry run and pay for the project and just have the government be the regulator? Sure could have done a lot for salmon with that money not being on the taxpayer account?

I guess you're happy about $12.6-Billion that is being spent to build the TMX pipeline with our tax dollars by Trudeau? Imagine we actually had a prime minister who knew how to let Private Industry run and pay for the project and just have the government be the regulator? Sure could have done a lot for salmon with that money not being on the taxpayer account?
I understand your strategy of not answering the question but two wrongs make a right is a odd flex.

Thanks again for taking the time and yes I have taken a careful read of the Conservatives platform. So would it be fair to say that you are willing to trade access to more salmon for a couple of oil pipelines to the coast?
Yes

This thread, like most political threads, is now veering away from fisheries related issues and into other topics that we are not going to get into here. You can debate pipelines or any other election topics somewhere else.

Yes absolutely. Northern gateway will be an indigenous lead project & will help bring self sufficiency & prosperity. ( Great progress being made by the Indian resource council)

Yes absolutely. Northern gateway will be an indigenous lead project & will help bring self sufficiency & prosperity. ( Great progress being made by the Indian resource council)
Yeah, this "oil related properity" was again on full display this summer: record drought and dried up streams, record wildfires and no air to breathe, record flooding on the other side of the earth, fine hurricanes... Just keep at it, we are on the right track - to an unliveable planet.

This Week’s Feature – Ten Blue Fish Canada Fish Health Election Questions:
As a registered Canadian charity dedicated to fish health, water quality, and the future of sustainable recreational fishing, Blue Fish Canada has consulted with over 100 of its Angler Experts and science advisors from across Canada to draft the below ten fish health questions for Canadian voters to ask their local federal election candidates. With so many election issues that touch on recreational fishing and the fish we love, it’s more important than ever to ensure local candidates are aware of these issues and are able to provide meaningful answers. Please feel free to share the Ten Fish Health Election Questions and responses from your federal candidates with others using the hash tag #FishHealth2021. Link below to the Ten Fish Health Election Questions:

Ten Fish Health Election Questions / Blue Fish Canada
  1. Responsible fishery management is vital to ensuring wild fish species are sustainable and thriving for generations to come. How will your government ensure all fisheries (commercial, moderate livelihood, “food social and ceremonial”, and recreational) are: managed using science-based precautionary principles; enhanced using marked hatchery fish when necessary; and protected by reducing illegal, unregulated, and unreported fishing?
  2. Recreational fishing is a key contributor to the social and economic sustainability of many communities and regions across Canada and is a positive influence on the mental welfare of anglers. At the same time, angling organizations across Canada have dedicated significant human and financial stewardship resources to conserve the fish upon which they depend. How will your party recognize this interdependence, and what supports will be made available to ensure the fish and the communities who depend on them are sustained for generations to come?
  3. Water quality remains a crucial issue with respect to both fish health and the safe consumption of fish by people and other life forms. How will your party ensure that both emerging and mutual chemicals of concern are identified, acknowledged, and addressed in a timely manner, with the goal of eliminating the need to issue fish consumption advisories? What steps will be taken to update water quality regulations and strengthen their enforcement?
  4. Defending and rebuilding wild fish stocks under Canada’s modernized Fisheries Act means developing and implementing official recovery plans for endangered wild fish populations. How will your party address the shortfall of recovery plans called for since the law came into effect two years ago?
  5. Canada has committed to protect 30% of its oceans, land, and freshwater by the year 2030. What steps will your party take to ensure recreational fishing communities are included in the iteration, selection and implementation of these protected areas, and will you commit to using science-based precautionary principles when considering the application of protective measures specific to all forms of fishing?
  6. In the name of reconciliation and self governance, Canada is moving forward on establishing “indigenous protected and conserved areas”. What steps will your party take to ensure the interests of recreational fishing communities are included in negotiating the transfer of responsibility for these crown lands back to First Nations?
  7. Commercial, moderate livelihood, “food social and ceremonial”, and recreational fishing often share a common interest in the same fish. How will your party ensure recreational fishing communities are included in negotiating equitable access to these fish?
  8. Changes to earth’s climate are impacting fish health through warming water temperatures, alterations to seasons, more extreme weather, and the shifting north of fish and other aquatic and marine life. Given that Canadians produce more greenhouse gas emissions per person than any other G20 economy, how does your party propose to improve the resilience of Canada’s wild fish species while mitigating climate change?
  9. Under the Fisheries Act, the federal government must consider cumulative impacts to fish habitat such as Orphan dams, obsolete flood control structures, and the loss of coastal and shoreline wetlands. Given that federal, provincial, territorial, and now many First Nations share responsibility for fish habitat protection and restoration, how will your party ensure the local knowledge of recreational anglers is reflected in decisions taken to protect and restore fish habitat?
  10. Open-pen aquatic farms are recognised globally as contributing to the spread of harmful viruses and parasites to wild fish. What is your plan and timeline to move open-pen aquaculture operations on to land, and what steps will be taken to ensure the industry sources feed that is sustainable, and respects the welfare of farmed fish?

Back