Subject: Fishing for answers: who gets to fish for B.C. salmon in the future?

There's not a day goes by that I don't miss my long commercial fishing career. When I sold and retired in 2000 it was definitely the peak but the writing was on the wall then on where things were going. I would have hated to watch it go the way it has from the inside and seeing all the hard work and financial gain get slowly stripped away . It was a hell of a life while it lasted.

Great article. Folks should pay close attention to what Jim McIsaac is saying about the need for transformative change within the commercial fishery - particularly the need on the West Coast to move back to Owner-Operator regulations that would protect jobs and economic benefits for small coastal communities in BC. Time for the age of the slipper skipper to die a swift death.

Great article. Folks should pay close attention to what Jim McIsaac is saying about the need for transformative change within the commercial fishery - particularly the need on the West Coast to move back to Owner-Operator regulations that would protect jobs and economic benefits for small coastal communities in BC. Time for the age of the slipper skipper to die a swift death.
Unfortunately it is WAY to late for that , we tried to stop it before it started but there was no hope then and unfortunately no chance now , IMHO

This is the perfect opportunity to move rapidly towards selective fisheries, community based/owned processing facilities, and a BC based brand initiative. ( Think Copper River Salmon) .

This is the perfect opportunity to move rapidly towards selective fisheries, community based/owned processing facilities, and a BC based brand initiative. ( Think Copper River Salmon) .

kinda the opposite of what is happening with that "small scale" first nation fishery of the west coast. That was designed and sold to the courts to be just that.

Back