Which kicker to chose for Campion Explorer 492?

Paravoffka

Hi everyone!

I've upgraded my boat to campion explorer 492 and slowly making fixes and setting the boat up. I see on some pictures people put on the same model different kickers like 9.9, 8 or even 6 HP.

The question is which one to chose, weight economy and power. Looking for recommendations because this boat is my first one with kicker.

Tight lines!

Hi everyone!

I've upgraded my boat to campion explorer 492 and slowly making fixes and setting the boat up. I see on some pictures people put on the same model different kickers like 9.9, 8 or even 6 HP.

The question is which one to chose, weight economy and power. Looking for recommendations because this boat is my first one with kicker.

Tight lines!
i had a Campion 165 with a 2003 yamaha 90 hp 4 stroke with a 8hp yammy kicker but
man was it stern heavy. it was heavy without the 8hp. what have you for main power?

Make sure you get a 2 cylinder. I had a 1 cylinder, on a previous boat, and they’re loud and vibrate big time. If you’re worried about the extra 50 lbs, over a 1 cylinder. I’d relocate something from your stern, like a battery, to compensate. So my vote would be a Yamaha 9.9 high thrust. The 8 hp is the same motor, so why not get the 9.9

Make sure you get a 2 cylinder. I had a 1 cylinder, on a previous boat, and they’re loud and vibrate big time. If you’re worried about the extra 50 lbs, over a 1 cylinder. I’d relocate something from your stern, like a battery, to compensate. So my vote would be a Yamaha 9.9 high thrust. The 8 hp is the same motor, so why not get the 9.9
I'm thinking about 4 stroke kicker, I'd guess it shouldn't vibrate, however it will be heavy.

I'm thinking about 4 stroke kicker, I'd guess it shouldn't vibrate, however it will be heavy.
Anything 6 hp or less will vibrate a lot due to being 1 cylinder unless it's an old 2 stroke 6 hp Yamaha. Yes 4 strokes even at 6 hp will be noisy and have a lot of vibration at higher RPM. Go with a 9.9.

I had a 492 for a number of years. Mine had a Yamaha 50 on it and I had a Yamaha 6 hp kicker on it and took it off. Too much weight in stern for my liking and I just trolled off the main. Worked great.

The 50 was a little light for power but it worked ok with more pitch.

I did have a wave partially break and come over the stern in a nasty following sea coming back from the Little Qualicum. Was glad I didn’t have the kicker on.

I liked that little boat. Fished it in weather I shouldn’t have at times. I might suggest you add in a splash board across the transom to keep errant waves out.

I had a 492 for a number of years. Mine had a Yamaha 50 on it and I had a Yamaha 6 hp kicker on it and took it off. Too much weight in stern for my liking and I just trolled off the main. Worked great.

The 50 was a little light for power but it worked ok with more pitch.

I did have a wave partially break and come over the stern in a nasty following sea coming back from the Little Qualicum. Was glad I didn’t have the kicker on.

I liked that little boat. Fished it in weather I shouldn’t have at times. I might suggest you add in a splash board across the transom to keep errant waves out.
I've seen pictures of the boat on the internet with splash board. Is splash board sold somewhere or it needs to be done by myself?

I have the same boat. 492 with 90hp and I run an 2018 8hp yamaha on the back (I like it for the safety factor) I troll of the 90 mostly.

Nice little run around boat. As stated heavy in the rear with the 90. I think I am going to switch out the 2 seats for a flippable bench or leaning post to gain some room to move around.

Been thinking of selling this spring for something more lasquiti friendly.

I have the same boat. 492 with 90hp and I run an 2018 8hp yamaha on the back (I like it for the safety factor) I troll of the 90 mostly.

Nice little run around boat. As stated heavy in the rear with the 90. I think I am going to switch out the 2 seats for a flippable bench or leaning post to gain some room to move around.

Been thinking of selling this spring for something more lasquiti friendly.
But is it enough 8 HP for trolling? if I want to save gas and troll using kicker instead of the main? If I go out I usally do it for the whole day and trolling using the main ending will be pricy.

But is it enough 8 HP for trolling? if I want to save gas and troll using kicker instead of the main? If I go out I usally do it for the whole day and trolling using the main ending will be pricy.
My 8hp pushed a heavy old 22’ bayliner no problems at all. Even in the wind.

Attachments

• 6DBEDA44-7E62-4488-9BEB-C0C72BD45481.jpeg
    6DBEDA44-7E62-4488-9BEB-C0C72BD45481.jpeg
    396.2 KB · Views: 13
6 and under are noisy single cylinder vibrators in Merc's. I have a 5. OK for back-up but not pleasant for trolling. (unless you like vibrators ;)) If you were looking for an 8 you might as well get a 9.9 as I think the weight is about the same.

This is roughly a 16-17’ boat right? I would think 6-8 hp kicker is the right size. I run a 9.9 on a 24’ without issue, yes a 15 would be better but the 9.9 works fine

I've seen pictures of the boat on the internet with splash board. Is splash board sold somewhere or it needs to be done by myself?
It’s something you make up yourself. Just has to be something to deflect water back if a wave comes over your stern.

I can’t emphasize enough about the weight in the stern. I really suggest you bag the thought of a kicker, put an anchor in your bow compartment for worst case scenarios and make sure your cell phone is charged up if you ever need to have someone tow you in. This is not a charter boat being fished in all conditions for 90 days a year.

Back