Campion Explorer 672 Issues

A cheap and easy thing to try before you give up is adding a hydrofoil to your cav plate. They are cheap and could make a significant difference in your handling issues. They really help with getting up on plane easier, adding stern lift and helping with porpoising, for 100-$150 its worth a shot.
Has anyone tried or owns the auto trim tab controller from Bennett? ALready having the hydraulic unit on my boat I'm wondering if an upgrade is in order? It could help me with "operator error" in driving the boat? Any suggestions here? I have one side my tabs, the cylinder is slow to retract. The port side is good, the starboard side goes down as fast as the port side, but retracts almost 3 times slower. Buy a new cylinder? or rebuild? I've isolated it to the line or the actuator. After looking up the auto controller my interest is definitely peaked in putting it into this boat. Maybe its all I need?

Might have been asked already: Have you tried using it with the tabs fully retracted/up position so they are not doing anything, got on plane with the leg tucked in and trimmed it out at speed? If so, what is the boat doing at that point?

Has anyone tried or owns the auto trim tab controller from Bennett? ALready having the hydraulic unit on my boat I'm wondering if an upgrade is in order? It could help me with "operator error" in driving the boat? Any suggestions here? I have one side my tabs, the cylinder is slow to retract. The port side is good, the starboard side goes down as fast as the port side, but retracts almost 3 times slower. Buy a new cylinder? or rebuild? I've isolated it to the line or the actuator. After looking up the auto controller my interest is definitely peaked in putting it into this boat. Maybe its all I need?
Sounds like you have air in the line, bleed the line like a brake line. Has far auto trim, not my thing, I like to trim the boat depending on sea conditions, bow down sometimes, bow up sometimes. What is the dead rise on that boat???

Sounds like you have air in the line, bleed the line like a brake line. Has far auto trim, not my thing, I like to trim the boat depending on sea conditions, bow down sometimes, bow up sometimes. What is the dead rise on that boat???
Deadrise at what part? Keel?

I’m on the same page regarding automatic trim; I’d much rather have control and adjust for the conditions.
I’m not sure what kind of trim tab control you have but I’ve got the Lenco one below and really like it. The light bar gives you an immediate visual as to how much each tab is engaged. The display tells you how the boat will react; not which tab you are using. Pressing for more bow down on the port side actually engages the starboard tab and vice-versa. Depending on load and current I am regularly adjusting them and seldom run with them equal.

I think you should find someone up in PG to go for a spin with you. Go to the closest marine mechanic and pay him hourly to come with you. Throwing parts and money at it without knowing the cause isn’t smart. I’ve been on that exact boat and I didn’t notice it squirrelly at all.

I think you should find someone up in PG to go for a spin with you. Go to the closest marine mechanic and pay him hourly to come with you. Throwing parts and money at it without knowing the cause isn’t smart. I’ve been on that exact boat and I didn’t notice it squirrelly at all.
Absolutely, my friend has a 2005 682, his is factory pod with 250 yammy, and it’s an awesome ride, not to sure of the difference in hull 672-682, but it’s kind of odd that the boat is that unstable that it scares the hell out of you

Can I ask have you tried to max out the engine trim while on plane? (Tabs up) Can you get to a point so high where the prop starts to ventilate or lose traction?

Can I ask have you tried to max out the engine trim while on plane? (Tabs up) Can you get to a point so high where the prop starts to ventilate or lose traction?
Update: Well, I'm not quite sure how to write it but the boat sold. I was upfront about my issues with it. I have done massive amounts of work to it and I sold it much better than when I bought it. When I bought it I thought it would be better for my family than it was. Thanks to everyone who helped me work through what I did. In the end it was probably my driving experience mixed with a hull that wasn't the best suited for me. I am going to be starting a new thread asking for your advice on buying another boat. Im not going to go out and buy one right away, I need some time to digest and lick my wounds. Please if you can pass on your experience and knowledge on searching for and purchasing a new to you boat.

Update: Well, I'm not quite sure how to write it but the boat sold. I was upfront about my issues with it. I have done massive amounts of work to it and I sold it much better than when I bought it. When I bought it I thought it would be better for my family than it was. Thanks to everyone who helped me work through what I did. In the end it was probably my driving experience mixed with a hull that wasn't the best suited for me. I am going to be starting a new thread asking for your advice on buying another boat. Im not going to go out and buy one right away, I need some time to digest and lick my wounds. Please if you can pass on your experience and knowledge on searching for and purchasing a new to you boat.
Sounds like you need something a bit bigger 24-26 ft

What particular aspects of this boat made you buy it in the first place? Just wondering what drew your attention to this one and what might help going forward with looking for another boat.

Oly

I have 99 672 boat was in beautiful shape about 3 years ago when I purchased it owned by a 88 year old man from Manhattan, kept it at his house I forget what island between the forks of long island, he never used the fridge ,stove ,and the head . I found the paper work still in those items .. boat had a carburetor 5.0 or 5.7 and a bravo 2.. I popped in a blue water mpi , I forgot I found out the transom assembly was compromised . So I did that first then the motor.. cleaned the boat ,it needed nothing else . Now the bay test ,probably the worst in my life I thought I was losing my mind the list or lean was scary I thought of everything u can possibly think of even got a bravo 3 on trade for the bravo 2. Couple bay test later I find that if I trim tab bow down all the way down I can control the boat . That's terrible.. call campion they straight up told me the 672 was a mistake hull the dead rise was incorrect. I asked them if they contacted all registered owners worldwide, answer was no . I said but u know the boat is a fail u need to pull them off from use ,buy them back ,send a recall ... people we need to get together and file a class action lawsuit.. I have $17,000 usd into boat , if they paid for the engine and associated parts and labor to remove it ,and the the disposal at a landfill would be fine .. if anyone wants to contact me email me at jbanwaree520@gmail.com or find me on Google search jetski repair on long island n.y. my name is josh...

I have 99 672 boat was in beautiful shape about 3 years ago when I purchased it owned by a 88 year old man from Manhattan, kept it at his house I forget what island between the forks of long island, he never used the fridge ,stove ,and the head . I found the paper work still in those items .. boat had a carburetor 5.0 or 5.7 and a bravo 2.. I popped in a blue water mpi , I forgot I found out the transom assembly was compromised . So I did that first then the motor.. cleaned the boat ,it needed nothing else . Now the bay test ,probably the worst in my life I thought I was losing my mind the list or lean was scary I thought of everything u can possibly think of even got a bravo 3 on trade for the bravo 2. Couple bay test later I find that if I trim tab bow down all the way down I can control the boat . That's terrible.. call campion they straight up told me the 672 was a mistake hull the dead rise was incorrect. I asked them if they contacted all registered owners worldwide, answer was no . I said but u know the boat is a fail u need to pull them off from use ,buy them back ,send a recall ... people we need to get together and file a class action lawsuit.. I have $17,000 usd into boat , if they paid for the engine and associated parts and labor to remove it ,and the the disposal at a landfill would be fine .. if anyone wants to contact me email me at jbanwaree520@gmail.com or find me on Google search jetski repair on long island n.y. my name is josh...
That why you don’t buy without a sea trial, not all boat designs handled the same

I campion is out of business so good luck with that

Back