Where's the best place to buy a new boat trailer?

bushwackin

Looking for any recomendations on a good boat trailer dealer. I want to find a bigger heavier duty trailer for our boat as ours is pretty much maxed out right now. I don't want to wait until I break an axle or something that could cause a wreck or even just the inconveniance of breaking down. Any tips would be appreciated!

Call Roadrunner direct and see if they'll sell to you. They are in Richmond. I find their product very good. Mike's the guy. I he doesn't sell direct, go the SG Power in Victoria and talk to Bernie. Best marine service in BC.

I went to Boat Land in Red Deer Alberta to get my last Shorland'r. No BC dealers back in 2004, not sure if that is still so. I went that far to get one of the best trailers on the market, disc brakes, dropped axles and the best rollers on the market. I had the previous one for 12 years and sold it for half the price of the new 2004. This one still looks new except for the springs which you can't keep from turning a rusty colour. I've done the brakes once (last year) since 2004.

Or, go see Rick at Empire Welding on Goldstream in Langford. He came out to where my boat was (on blocks) and measured it (or you could trailer yours to his shop) then custom built me a 7000/lb tandem w/surge brakes (DOT Cert) for 30 to 40% less than what a 5000/lb R/Runner or Highliner would've cost me.

Tell him 'Terry the Bartender' sent you. (I used to pour his beer for him at the old Westwind back in the 90's) :)

I'd check marine dealers in Calgary if i was back and forth--for 2 reasons. Their water is going to get hard in a month or 2 and they will want to reduce their inventory, and you pay less tax.
T2

if the deal is better in BC- all you have to do is show your Alberta drivers license and sign a declaration that it will be registered in Alberta and you do not have to pay 15% BC tax---

When I bought my boat in Chilliwack, I didn't have to pay the 7% portion of the HST but the dealer had to deliver it to AB which he only charged me 500 bucks for his fuel which was a very cheap delivery. I find that everything is cheaper in BC, except gas and beer. Alberta is such a rip off for everything anymore.
Thanks so much guys for all the tips. I've made some calls and Mike at Roadrunner seems to be the best deal around (Wow is he ever a character). He is one of the only outfits around that seem to offer a heavy duty tandem with a 12,000 GVW and 10,000 capacity. That will be alot cheaper than a triple axle. I checked Shorlandr and the rest of the brands and the heaviest tandem you can get is 8,000 capacity. My Karavan is 7500 capacity and that is what the boat weighs with the motors and a full tank of gas. I'll definately feel better when I upgrade trailers. Thanks again guys!

Or, go see Rick at Empire Welding on Goldstream in Langford. He came out to where my boat was (on blocks) and measured it (or you could trailer yours to his shop) then custom built me a 7000/lb tandem w/surge brakes (DOT Cert) for 30 to 40% less than what a 5000/lb R/Runner or Highliner would've cost me.

Tell him 'Terry the Bartender' sent you. (I used to pour his beer for him at the old Westwind back in the 90's) :)

According to the BC regulations on 7000 lb trailer, surge brakes are not legal.

Gross trailer weight of more than 2,800 kg (6,160 lbs) - Brakes are required, and the trailer brakes must be capable of being applied by the driver independently of the towing vehicle's brakes. A surge brake does NOT meet this requirement. A breakaway brake is also required. Brakes are required on all axles.

"According to the BC regulations on 7000 lb trailer, surge brakes are not legal."

My trailer was built about 5-yrs ago, has 2-3500/lb axles, surge brakes (with break-away), lights, wheels/fenders, and a D.O.T. inspection w/sticker.

Was only trying to help the guy.

It's every mans God-given right to spend more if they want to...

I understood the wording is that any trailer/boat combination in BC over 2,800 KG needs elec/hyd brakes. I guess the trailer rating will drive this though. If you're ever involved in an accident with your trailer I suspect this would be checked. My rig is right at 6000lbs and I opted for elec/hyd brakes and wouldn't go back to surge. Price is important, but, safety is paramount.

DoT is Federal. When I brought in my boat trailer from the US it had to inspected by Canadian Tire to get the DoT sticker. That inspection made no mention of the fact that the trailer only had brakes on one axle. Provincial regulations clearly state that in my case a 6000 lb trailer that each axle requires brakes.

Back