Where to buy bulk herring?

I dont know of any specific place that sells bulk herring....maybe French Creek?? but in the past I have pulled up next to a herring gillnetter on the water and waved a case of Lucky!

That was good for a couple of buckets.

I dont know of any specific place that sells bulk herring....maybe French Creek?? but in the past I have pulled up next to a herring gillnetter on the water and waved a case of Lucky!

That was good for a couple of buckets.

Wave some REAL beer , you might get 3 buckets ;)

Hey Cuba Libre

I gotta ask--what do you do once you get a couple of buckets? Every time I jig up a gorgeous pile of green and blue label herring, all I get for my efforts when trying to brine them is mush and belly blow-out

What's the secret to putting up bulk live herring (short of putting them in a pen and giving them bread and water)?

I talk to BWB regularly. Tell me what you're thinking of and maybe I can help. I also have access to block frozen in Van.

Or Deryk--both those guys can help

You need to know someone there even to buy prawn bait... After many phone calls and emails I gave up. You must have a personal contact?

No. Why must I? I just posted their website as a suggestion.

Last edited by a moderator:
No. Why must I? I just posted their website as a suggestion.
Cause as I posted... Quote....After many phone calls and emails I gave up. You must have a personal contact? End Quote.

They directed me to retail stores.

Last edited by a moderator:
Trotac use to let you buy, by the case... And you could mix both herring and anchovies of all sizes.. Really nice option... It worked out to around $5 a package... Dont quote me on this.. because it was a couple years ago..
And btw.. they have moved into their new store now...
Paul is still there, nice quy to deal with....

Active Tackle got bought up by PNT.
Barry's Bait & Tackle has a guide program for bait on the ml.

I believe Deryk still retains the bait side of Active tackle

Active Tackle has still retained the bait part of it business and have locations in both Vancouver and VCI to service the lodge, guide and it's business as usual... .... :)

I believe Deryk still retains the bait side of Active tackle

As of Feb.01/12 Pacific Net & twine has purchased the tackle part of Active Tackle...business as usual in 3 location with bigger, better inventory to work with for the everyone..... :)

Active Tackle has still retained the bait part of it business and have locations in both Vancouver and VCI to service the lodge, guide and it's business as usual... .... :)

Awesome.

Good game eh!!! You guys ok? ha ha.

As long as I can call on Deryk for my needs. All is good.

But I believe this thread was about bulk herring..

I want buckets of it for prawn bait. Not Cut Plugs. Or for eating.

This herring soft and gross. yet I want it. I would love buckets of it/

As long as I can call on Deryk for my needs. All is good.

But I believe this thread was about bulk herring..

I want buckets of it for prawn bait. Not Cut Plugs. Or for eating.

This herring soft and gross. yet I want it. I would love buckets of it/

Always... :)

Back