When to use hoochie inserts

I have used the Ace Hi very successfully alone and as an insert for coho.

LOVE the idea by riverboy, as purchased inserts are too expensive (esp the ace-hi). I am still not sure on the concept though. Is the red bead and the barrel attached? and how? thanks!

I've used inserts off and on for a couple of decades at this point I'm fairly certain they are designed to catch fishermen not fish. Lets be honest if we're looking at a wall of tackle it's the flashiest most colorful item that always catches your eye.

I've caught fish using inserts but for me I'm fairly certain I catch more running without them.

I've used inserts off and on for a couple of decades at this point I'm fairly certain they are designed to catch fishermen not fish. Lets be honest if we're looking at a wall of tackle it's the flashiest most colorful item that always catches your eye.

I've caught fish using inserts but for me I'm fairly certain I catch more running without them.

I agree to a point. Where I fish in Campbell River I'm often between 180-250' of water. If I am using a glow hootchie, I'm convinced the luminescence coming from the glow hootchie is illuminating the Krystal flash a bit. Even if it's just placebo, I run them in all my hootchies, and I catch a lot of fish with them.

On further research I discovered that Silver Horde actually make inserts as well as the Ace Hi-fly that are quite reasonable in 3 and 10 packs. Anyone have any idea where to grab a 10 pack of the glows? Thanks;) eman

It seems that more people are using inserts for coho rather than springs. Do the springs like a sparser presentation, or do the coho just like more flash. I can see your point RiverBoy, about having some flash when you are really deep. Do you play around with a sparser tied version, or is that what you stick with.

I also think they're nice for some color/effect contrast. For instance; if I'm using a glow hoochie, I'll run a UV tinsel/mylar insert. If I'm running a UV hoochie, I'll add a glow skirt. Then you have your color choices. I like to add the chartreuse/green glow inserts to white/clear hoochies etc etc.

I've also had a lot of success using the mini 3 inch B-2 Squids as inserts. I will clip off the little "winglets" on the head so I can shove them into the hoochie easier but they really add a lot of color and contrast to a hoochie. They also add a little weight so if you're running them as an insert, make your leader just a little shorter than you normally would so the action of the hoochie doesn't get killed by the weight. Those suckers light up! They have all glow options and different colors of UV options. And they work really well just by themselves too when the bait is small.

It's fun trying out different colors/effects. But I do not like to run Ace Hi flies as inserts. They're really expensive to run them as an insert. You're better off using a mylar insert then clipping off every other tentacle from your hoochie to let the mylar show through better. That'll save you a couple bucks.

I've tried everything you've mentioned above and agree they look killer - but for me at least they have never produced much if at all. YMMV of course

It seems that more people are using inserts for coho rather than springs. Do the springs like a sparser presentation, or do the coho just like more flash. I can see your point RiverBoy, about having some flash when you are really deep. Do you play around with a sparser tied version, or is that what you stick with.

The Krystal flash I use looks sparse in the water as its swimming. It is a lot " fluffier " looking when it's dry.

The Krystal flash I use looks sparse in the water as its swimming. It is a lot " fluffier " looking when it's dry.

Which again begs the question: Is it REALLY that game changing? :) It's a marketing strategy that works so so well.

Look at the diamond industry!!!! I only mention that because the little lady and I have been shopping for her wedding ring for the last four months and the same thing keeps coming to mind: Women are like fish.....They're attracted to shinny things! So if it's ingrained in animal nature to be mesmerized by shinny things, then hell, add some shine to your stuff!

LOVE the idea by riverboy, as purchased inserts are too expensive (esp the ace-hi). I am still not sure on the concept though. Is the red bead and the barrel attached? and how? thanks![/QUOTE]

The roller bead is hollow, you pass your line through it. The bead ends up in the head of the hootchie.

Barkerfam, just to expand on RiverBoy's last post. The roller bead is a one piece unit. The bead head has the hollow straw already attached making it a one pice unit. The tinsel is attached to the hollow straw part and then inserted into the hoochie, with the bead head into the head part of the hoochie. Hope this helps clarify this for you.

I've also seen people make them on simple tubes. This way you can insert a 6-8mm bead into the hoochie's head to fit the head better. Then all you have to do is run the tube fly into the hoochie body.

The simple plastic tube also makes it easier to tie up if you dont want to spend all the money on a tube fly vice or any of that stuff. All you need is the tube, tinsel/material and your string of choice.

Here's a quick video. I know it's old and a bit goofy but it'll give you an example of what I'm talking about. It starts at the 50 second mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gOLJCOIROU

In the past I have used/experimented with different hoochy mylar inserts that are available aftermarket.

The one problem that always seems to re-occur is that:- out of the package they are nice and straight, but after a couple of times in the water they start to curl up and protrude at all angles from the hoochy, which doesn't go away when you put them back in the water.

If they came out with inserts that don't do this and stay straight , that would help a lot.

Barkerfam, just to expand on RiverBoy's last post. The roller bead is a one piece unit. The bead head has the hollow straw already attached making it a one pice unit. The tinsel is attached to the hollow straw part and then inserted into the hoochie, with the bead head into the head part of the hoochie. Hope this helps clarify this for you.

thank you!

In the past I have used/experimented with different hoochy mylar inserts that are available aftermarket.

The one problem that always seems to re-occur is that:- out of the package they are nice and straight, but after a couple of times in the water they start to curl up and protrude at all angles from the hoochy, which doesn't go away when you put them back in the water.

If they came out with inserts that don't do this and stay straight , that would help a lot.

Try dousing them with near-boiling water from the kettle. They should straighten out.

F

Try dousing them with near-boiling water from the kettle. They should straighten out.

F

I actually like mine when they're a little disheveled looking. I would imagine they "poof" out in the water when getting whipped around anyway. I think the OCD neat looking hoochies are more a waste of time than anything. Think about how poofed out the Ace Hi Fly is or lures like the "smoker chocker". Those rely on that puffed up look. They obviously thin out when they're in the water but when they get snapped around by the flasher they pulsate. I think that's the true benefit of the insert. To give a little sparkle/flash when the hoochie gets whipped and the mylar gets pulsated out of the tentacles.

I like mine OCD neat....I go to great lengths to rig the hoochy so there is only one hook at the back that does not interfere with the body of the hoochy.

When you use the two hook tandem method the first hook splays the hoochy tentacles around as the hooks twist inside the hoochy due to flasher rotation.

Personally I think when that happens the hoochy doesn't have much of a "baitfish" look any more......
I like it so the water goes over the hoochy and keeps the body as trim, compact and as smooth as possible.

But that's just me......others may become violently reciprocal.....

Franko Manini...I'll try that next time I want to straighten out an insert........:cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back