What's for dinner tonight ?

You’ve inspired me to take out a couple pieces of backstrap from Novembers Mule harvest.
My favourite treatment for moose/elk/deer backstrap is on the BBQ for the flavour, but on a grill mat to avoid losing any of the tiny amount of fat it contains. Same reason for the creamy sauce, add some fat back into the equation.

Lamb Ossobuco night.

Marinated lamb for two days and then slow roasted until it was fall off the bone.
Added some veggie, Alfredo sauce with Fusilli Paesani pasta. Plus Greek salad

Fusilli Paesani pasta has a great texture and flavor. We buy it at Boza Foods in Vancouver.

Attachments

• Fusilli pasta noodles.jpg
    Fusilli pasta noodles.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 25
  • fusilli pasta.jpg
    fusilli pasta.jpg
    267.5 KB · Views: 24
  • lamb shanks.jpg
    lamb shanks.jpg
    534.8 KB · Views: 25
  • Ossobuco dinner.jpg
    Ossobuco dinner.jpg
    398.2 KB · Views: 25
Lamb Ossobuco night.

Marinated lamb for two days and then slow roasted until it was fall off the bone.
Added some veggie, Alfredo sauce with Fusilli Paesani pasta. Plus Greek salad

Fusilli Paesani pasta has a great texture and flavor. We buy it at Boza Foods in Vancouver.
Looks delicious!

Vongole with clams we dug yesterday, topped with gratuitous amounts of dungeness and spot prawns also caught yesterday.

Where did you dig these ? I always wonder if these massive shellfish closures in the lower mainland are valid , as you cross the line and immediately there is Dayton harbour oyster farm , lots of clam digging in birch bay and surrounding areas .

Where did you dig these ? I always wonder if these massive shellfish closures in the lower mainland are valid , as you cross the line and immediately there is Dayton harbour oyster farm , lots of clam digging in birch bay and surrounding areas .
I dug them on Salt Spring, there are some openings in area 17-9.

Last night on Salt Spring. Seriously considering moving here if we can find the right place.

Clams in white wine sauce, crab and spot prawn cakes, sautéed oysters also in white wine sauce, with some roughage to round it out. All harvested locally in the last couple days. Feeling very fortunate to be able to experience this all in our back yard.

Attachments

• IMG_8117.jpeg
    IMG_8117.jpeg
    272.3 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_8116.jpeg
    IMG_8116.jpeg
    177.4 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_8115.jpeg
    IMG_8115.jpeg
    165.7 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_8113.jpeg
    IMG_8113.jpeg
    180.3 KB · Views: 26
Last night on Salt Spring. Seriously considering moving here if we can find the right place.

Clams in white wine sauce, crab and spot prawn cakes, sautéed oysters also in white wine sauce, with some roughage to round it out. All harvested locally in the last couple days. Feeling very fortunate to be able to experience this all in our back yard.
Looks absolutely delicious. You should read ‘closer to the ground’ if you’re considering life on a gulf island. It may motivate your decision. At very least, it’s a good book.

Last edited:
Looks absolutely delicious. You should read ‘closer to the ground’ if you’re considering life on a gulf island. It may motivate your decision. At very least, it’s a good book.
I’ll check that out, thanks! I’m sure it will be a lot more compelling of a read than the dry computer science tomes I’ve been slogging through lately.

Crab cake recipe:

2 cups crab meat, cooked
1 cup prawn meat, raw and minced
1 cup bread crumbs
1 onion finely diced
handful of chopped italian parsley
1/4 tsp wasabi
1 tbsp dijon
2 eggs
zest of 1/4 of a lemon
juice of half a lemon
A little or a lot of your favourite hot sauce
cracked black pepper
salt to taste (I don’t add any but you might want to)

Mix everything except the breadcrumbs and egg into a bowl. Once well mixed, slowly incorporate the bread crumbs. Next, thoroughly mix in the eggs. Bring some neutral (grapeseed/avacado/canola) oil up to temp in a pan at medium heat. Form cakes roughly 1” thick and 3” in diameter. Cook 5-8 minutes on one side until brown. Flip and reduce heat to medium low and cook for another 5-8 minutes, depending on thickness. Remove from pan and let rest for a couple minutes. Serve with tartar sauce, or a white wine, butter, lemon, shallot sauce if you’re feelin’ fancy.

Back