What's for dinner tonight ?

She Who Rules suggested I am something of a messy cook at time:

HlKtK0E.jpg

iRyKWch.jpg

I didn't think that was messy at all!
icon_lol.gif

Made a double clutch of my favorite chili recipe (canning the balance today).
This is an interesting recipe in that the Maple flavors allow you to heat it right up, but no burn on the tongue. Discovered that a few years back and do it every time now. In the recipe below you can adjust the heat range to your liking...

Chili

Ingredients

2lbs ground or diced venison (I generally use ~ 1 lb of each)
1 large sweet onion diced
2 Medium sized red bell peppers diced
1 lb mushrooms sliced
5 large garlic cloves thin shaved
1.5 cups homemade sun dried tomatoes (can use store bought – reduce to 1 cup)
1 can 14 ounce Stag Dynamite hot chili
1 28 ounce can herb & spices diced tomatoes
1 20 ounce can red kidney beans
1 20 ounce can black beans
2 cans maple cured brown beans
1 small can herb & spice tomato paste
3 tablespoons chili powder
1.5 – 2 teaspoons dehydrated red pepper
2 teaspoons spicy mesquite seasoning
A good squirt of Beer & Chipotle Barbecue sauce
Optional: 1 – 2 tablespoons maple syrup

Method

Brown meat in a tablespoon or two of olive oil.
Toss in onions and mushrooms and heat until onion is close to transparent
Toss in the cans of chili, diced tomatoes, kidney beans, black beans (keep the juices from each and pour into mix) & tomato paste
Toss in shaved garlic & sun dried tomatoes
Add all spices & mix well.
Cook for ~ 30 minutes.
Add maple cured brown beans
Simmer for around an hour

OdKpUzn.jpg

ENJOY!
Nog

Started with some lemon garlic prawns with nice buttery Chardy alongside. Then the last of the summer halibut, pan fried with a herb panko crust. Shoestring fries tossed with truffle oil. Green salad and a top local Riesling.

Simple ingredients and methods, best to tread lightly with the delicate flavors of quality seafood. About 3 minute cook time for each course; this is not the choice for a large dinner party where you want to cook everything ahead so you can spend time with guests.

Venison wellington. I sous vide the back strap at 128 degrees for 6 hours then prepared the Wellington. The result was heavenly. It was a perfect medium when I first cut into it but it continued to cook before eating.

Things I would change:
1. Shorten the sous vide time or don't bother at all. Back straps are tender to begin with.

2. Do a better job with the lattice work on top or possibly get a lattice cutter.

Attachments

• 20221115_172633.jpg
    20221115_172633.jpg
    230.4 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_20221115_175945.jpg
    IMG_20221115_175945.jpg
    200.8 KB · Views: 35
Venison wellington. I sous vide the back strap at 128 degrees for 6 hours then prepared the Wellington. The result was heavenly. It was a perfect medium when I first cut into it but it continued to cook before eating.

Things I would change:
1. Shorten the sous vide time or don't bother at all. Back straps are tender to begin with.

2. Do a better job with the lattice work on top or possibly get a lattice cutter.
Next level :)

Our Bamfield Tuna Shoot out crew and wives went over to our Tuna Skips place this last weekend for our annual wrap up.. My Buddy Al & Skip took it to another level... out of my league :)

A three course meal

Attachments

• 20221112_183836_resized.jpg
    20221112_183836_resized.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 82
  • 20221112_191549_resized.jpg
    20221112_191549_resized.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 83
  • 20221112_202131_resized.jpg
    20221112_202131_resized.jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 83
Back