What's for dinner tonight ?

Resting is a must. We generaly pull ours at around the 205/215 range and wrap in towels and if possible place on a cooler for min 1 hr before slicing.

But you are right, some cuts of meat are good some are just not. Tough is tough and I’ve noticed in the last couple years it’s getting worse. It seems very rare this day and age to get a decent tender piece of meat. My hypothesis is it’s the killing method. Animals are to stressed out before the kill and to much use of the prod before the kill. No time and no pride anymore. The high quality stuff is all gone to the high end restaurants unless you buy private and local.

100 percent true. I'm hoping the dry age on this one will be the solution to a tender brisket. I pulled it at 190. Wrapped in foil and tossed in the oven. See what happens.

I've had my best results cooking the whole brisket and wrapping around 173ish. Ive wrapped earlier and later. It's a balance between bark and moisture. As mentioned the quality and cut of meat is important. I like to wrap with butcher paper and lots of tallow.

I honestly thing the 205 thing is overrated. Last one I did was on the boat and the traegar ran out of pellets in the middle of the night sometime around 180 190 and might be my favorite one to this day

I honestly thing the 205 thing is overrated. Last one I did was on the boat and the traegar ran out of pellets in the middle of the night sometime around 180 190 and might be my favorite one to this day
Interesting. I think by the time the point gets to 205 it has the fat content to maintain moisture. But I always find the flat to be overdone by that point. I do prefer to do just the point if possible.

Last edited:
Borscht night. Beets, carrots, potatoes, onions, tomatoes, peppers and dill came from the garden; Mennonite sausage, sour cream, vinegar, onion and celery from the store.
Sourdough covid quest continues. Alliteration comes from past years teaching poetry to hockey players and stoners.IMG_20220820_175152833.jpg

Any of you BBQ guys go to the Brewery and the Beast a few weeks ago? Unreal display of bbq and primarily regional booze.

Here is one I did mid last week at work here for the boys. Dry rubbed and in the fridge over night approx 12 hrs then on the smoker at 225 non wrapped for about 6 hours till internal hit 165. Off and wrapped securely in foil and back in for about another 6 till internal at 205. Off and wrapped in paper towel and towels for an hour. After an hour when I opened it to cut it it was still to hot to handle bare handed. It turned out so well, one of the best I’ve had in a while. So juicy and tender. You can see there is no issue with the bark on this baby, she’s was dark and crunchy yet not tough and chewy.

52300634498_de0c6ddc99_c.jpg

Last edited:
Koko's is one of the best and one of my fav's
Koko's is an East Van institution. But, in my opinion, there are better Sushi places around these days. Koko's has maintained a quality standard for many years though and hasn't changed in the slightest. My family still goes there by my older sister's and mom's requests. I like the short ribs. The clientele sure has cleaned up in there now that all the bikers have moved East lol.

Koko's is an East Van institution. But, in my opinion, there are better Sushi places around these days. Koko's has maintained a quality standard for many years though and hasn't changed in the slightest. My family still goes there by my older sister's and mom's requests. I like the short ribs. The clientele sure has cleaned up in there now that all the bikers have moved East lol.
Start naming them. I'll check some out next time I'm in the big city. We did Ikoi in New West the week after Kokos. It was good!

Start naming them. I'll check some out next time I'm in the big city. We did Ikoi in New West the week after Kokos. It was good!
I go to Kishimoto on commercial drive because it's close. Fancier plating and higher quality. That place is higher priced but not even close to a expensive as the these next three...
Minami
Miku
Tojo's
All very expensive and more like fine dining. I'm a huge fan of Aburi and Miku kind of put it on the map. If you're a real sushi nut then these are a must try. Just expect to be a little shocked at the price.

I go to Kishimoto on commercial drive because it's close. Fancier plating and higher quality. That place is higher priced but not even close to a expensive as the these next three...
Minami
Miku
Tojo's
All very expensive and more like fine dining. I'm a huge fan of Aburi and Miku kind of put it on the map. If you're a real sushi nut then these are a must try. Just expect to be a little shocked at the price.
So that leaves me with Kishimoto to try from your list. I've also got a boner to try Stem on Rumble too. I first met Tojo at the Drake on Powell in 1981. He said he was in the neighborhood for the Japanese markets at the time. He sat through of full rotation with us so you know it was more than the markets he'd come for. He had a little 20 or so seat hole in the wall on West Broadway and Ash before he hit the big time. His food now, Minami's and Miku's too, are meh to me. To much fussing around. Don't get me wrong, it's really good and really expensive, but I am more of a traditionalist. And you get that farmed King Salmon crap instead Sockeye at too many places now too.
You mainland guys have it good for Japanese restaurants. Victoria has only supermarket quality stuff for the most part. And you still get to pay the big price!

Grew enough butter lettuce to barely adorn my roast beef sandwich. Includes smoked provolone slices, tomato, onion and salt and pepper. Pro tip: mix 50/50 horseradish and mayo.
Also the big French bread from Safeway does the trick if you hollow out most the fluffy part in the middle.

Attachments

• 906B34B0-CE2A-4AA9-9F30-71FD9873EBD5.jpeg
    906B34B0-CE2A-4AA9-9F30-71FD9873EBD5.jpeg
    370.6 KB · Views: 13
  • C0281CD8-EE50-471E-8C79-04F63842AD42.jpeg
    C0281CD8-EE50-471E-8C79-04F63842AD42.jpeg
    238.1 KB · Views: 13
  • F853A63D-9837-48D6-8982-FDEDA3659CAC.jpeg
    F853A63D-9837-48D6-8982-FDEDA3659CAC.jpeg
    228.9 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Minami
Miku
Tojo's

Toshi's at Main and 16th. By far my fave. Or Sushi by Yuji Kingsway and Nanaimoish.

Since I have moved to Victoria, no good Sushi....at all in comparison.

Back