What's for dinner tonight ?

Just for the record.. I never complained once about the cost of catchin tuna..this lox style tuna is so fricken good! ... N the candy is legendary....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haven't even cracked a can yet but i took your advice n had all tuna i was canning smokedn canned

Having seafood chowder tonight
908200c4c05f4f4b4edc3008c66b4be1.jpg
cod,halibut,snapper,scallops n prawns..oh and a little cold smoked tuna on the side :), i can't take credit for the chowder.. That goes to Sea-drift fish market at terminal park in Nanaimo..legendary...!

Spatchcocked chicken tonight
Brined for 6 hours, brushed on some olive oil then rubbed with seasoning. Cooked with cherry wood on a offset at 300 degrees for around a hour and a half.... Covered the breasts with thick cut bacon bout halfway thru the smoke

Pretty darn tasty for dead bird

That looks great Bill :). Thanks for posting.

Can you share the brine recipe etc?

Last edited by a moderator:
That looks great Bill :). Thanks for posting.

Can you share the brine recipe etc?

I would luv to tell you it is some exotic recipe but it ain't
Very simple but it works.

I use a pot big enough to hold the bird, mix 1 cup Kosher salt to amount of water needed to cover bird, that's it. I don't usually add brown sugar to the brine but on this bird I threw in a hand full.
From my understanding brining helps in keeping the bird moist and gives the meat more flavor. You really don't even taste the salt but the salt really seems to enhance the overall flavor and do they ever come out moist. I probably would of brined this bird a couple hours longer but I didn't get started as early as I should have.
Use the same for Turkey only I'll brine it longer, up to 24 hours depending on the size of the bird. A 18 to 20 pound bird fits perfectly in a 5 gallon bucket, takes 2 gallons of brine to cover it .
Brining a fresh Turkey works great whether your smoking it or throwing in the oven

Oh yea...rinse bird well with cold water after removing from the brine.

Bill

Spatchcocking is the way to go, although they could have come up with a better name for it. Cuts cooking time in half or better and is evenly cooked.

e391460589b48caf4138af0c3a97e927.jpg

Local, organic, sunchoke, leek and potato soup, with prosciutto and provolone on a toasted slice of French bread. Garnish with crispy bacon and parsley. Easy to make. The kids gobbled it up.

Smoked pork side ribs, pit beans and slaw. Beans were going to be finished in smoker under ribs to catch drippings but due to a catastrophic smoker failure that didn't happen and ribs had to be finished in oven, beans just stayed on the wood stove all day with the occasional top up of beer. Unfortunately due to watching underplaying Canucks there isn't a plated pic.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Back