What's for dinner tonight ?

After a trip to Burnaby for a work course and a trip to the Chinese market I needed to try and make some char siu for myself. Not quite as good but decent for my first attempt. Next time I’ll use a fattier cut of meat, but all I had was tenderloin.IMG_1476.jpeg

Tonights last dinner meal at home for a while sushi feast ad other pic is dinners for the next while as im off on a moose hunting trip we have 4 draws hopefully get em all, also not in that picture is cabbage rolls and lasanga and a variety of soups we wont starve!!! LOL
chat soon wish me luck
Wolf

1695554759572.png
1695554783223.png

I cold smoked about a16 pound springs for canning a while back. Cut fillets into about 1 1/2" strips for cans. Did a dry brine for about 4 hours plus and smoked it for about 4 hours plus. Had some extra after using all my cans. froze it and took it out today. Used an old family recipe and poached it in milk for about 7 minutes. WOW...was it ever good!! Sorry no dinner pics.
smoking (2).jpg

Last night: tomato and beef tart, basically a pizza on puff pastry, with garden tomatoes, onions, and peppers.

Tonight, coho fillets, vongole, and a salad made from our garden veg

Attachments

• 48218874-FE08-44FE-8348-0E8CB36020E3.jpeg
    48218874-FE08-44FE-8348-0E8CB36020E3.jpeg
    245.5 KB · Views: 28
  • 536B9178-E71E-4781-B1D5-026FAC2096FF.jpeg
    536B9178-E71E-4781-B1D5-026FAC2096FF.jpeg
    261.6 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Was left to my own devices so I did an experiment and accidentally made my favourite meal ever. Decided to freestyle some tomatillo salsa and it was great. Steaks turned out perfect. I did not sit down or use a plate, it was amazing.View attachment 98233View attachment 98234View attachment 98235View attachment 98236View attachment 98237
That looks deadly. I grew a single tomatillo plant for the first time this year, and got over 15 lbs of fruit off it. They’re the best! I really like them smoked, blitzed up with lime, cilantro, hot peppers, garlic and a bit of sugar.

That looks deadly. I grew a single tomatillo plant for the first time this year, and got over 15 lbs of fruit off it. They’re the best! I really like them smoked, blitzed up with lime, cilantro, hot peppers, garlic and a bit of sugar.
Yeah man good work! Will definitely be doing some more things with them now, I like ‘em a lot

Last night we had company so I smoked some prime rib bones with a homemade bbq sauce. Served with panzanella salad, seared zucchini, cauliflower puree, and not pictured, the usual green salad made from our garden veg

Attachments

• AB8EAE48-E134-409F-8019-ACE5BE27A275.jpeg
    AB8EAE48-E134-409F-8019-ACE5BE27A275.jpeg
    301.9 KB · Views: 42
CHOBS5Z.jpg

Spaghetti Squash Lasagna

Ingredients

1 medium spaghetti squash
1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons olive oil divided
2 teaspoons kosher salt divided
3/4 teaspoon black pepper divided
1.5 pounds ground venison
2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
2 cloves garlic minced
1 (24-ounce) jar good-quality tomato pasta sauce (I used spinach & cheese flavor)
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1 bunch fresh spinach drained and pressed as dry as possible
1 cup 2% cottage cheese
1 cup shredded mozzarella
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Chopped fresh parsley

Instructions

Place a rack in the center of your oven and preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Roast the spaghetti squash.

While the squash is baking, heat the remaining tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium high. Add the burger, 1 teaspoon salt, remaining 1/2 teaspoon pepper, Italian seasoning, and red pepper flakes. Stir and cook, breaking apart the meat into small pieces, until it is fully cooked through and browned on all sides, about 4 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute more. Reduce the heat to low. Stir in the pasta sauce and red wine vinegar. Let simmer 1 minute. Taste and adjust the seasoning as desired.

Place the spinach in a large mixing bowl. Use a fork to separate any large clumps. Add the ricotta, 1/2 cup fontina, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt. Stir with the fork to combine. When the squash is cool enough to handle, use a fork to fluff the insides into strands and add the strands to the bowl. With the same fork, stir to combine, evenly distributing the ingredients as best you can. Return the squash halves to the baking sheet, cut sides up.

Fill the squash: Pile the ricotta/squash filling evenly into each of the halves. Top with tomato sauce, remaining shredded cheese, and Parmesan. Return to the oven and bake until the filling is fully heated through and the cheese is melty, about 10 to 15 minutes.

Brown the top (optional): Turn the oven to broil. Broil the squash until the cheese is extra bubbly and lightly browned, about 2 minutes. Watch it carefully, and do not walk away so that it doesn't burn. Sprinkle with parsley and enjoy!

Little pork butt that had some fat in the majors went really low and slow, probly too low @225 on the smoker. Went down with some southwesterly mexican style carnitas seasoning. Went for 12 hour smoke to hit 170, then wrapped, then hit the warm up for another couple hours. Never took the end goal temp. Just ran out of time after a day and a half. Super juicy and that southwestern smoke flavor. Street tacos with a little white onion and cilantro, little green salsa, the heat was in the pork. Epic balance of flavors. Think the first pic was at about 160 internal.

20230927_090215.jpg20230927_193436.jpg

Back