What's for dinner tonight ?

Managed to get it right this time around...

Cleaned & Trimmed:

PGWSiaU.jpg

Gently steamed for 4 or 5 minutes in white wine & lightly salted water.
Then quickly tossed through a hot frying pan of butter, a smidge of white wine & lemon garlic:

3G1Npwi.jpg

Same time that was working, right beside it was a pan of prawns in the same kind of butter base:

zldC0tC.jpg

And the air fryer was working on breaded Calamari,while the stove looked after cheesy garlic toast:

0xvkBHi.jpg

The fiddleheads certainly looked a heck of a lot better:

6VwWhCr.jpg

Served up with Tzatziki sauce and a fine Merlot:

VQ9GLD2.jpg

The fiddleheads were excellent in flavor with nice subtle crunch.
MUCH Better!!

Cheers,
Nog

I had fiddleheads at a restaurant once that were amazing. Can't recall how they were prepared. I have never been able to track them down to try on my own.

I had fiddleheads at a restaurant once that were amazing. Can't recall how they were prepared. I have never been able to track them down to try on my own.

Sporadic find. Quality foods brings them in around every 2 or 3 years.

They sourced this last lot from West Coast Wild Food in Burnaby: https://wcwf.ca/
A quick check of their site suggests they currently have them in stock.
If they aren't within striking range, it may be worthwhile to give them a call to see if they supply any of your local grocers.

We absolutely love them When done right, they are truly something special.

Cheers,
Nog

It’s getting to be the time of year where a good portion of the food on your plate is home grown and/or caught. I’m having a poke bowl tonight with asparagus, purple sprouting broccoli, and cauliflower from the garden, along with Dungeness caught this morning. Full disclosure: the rice, ginger and cuke is not from our garden. An IPA to wash it down while watching the last Canuck game of the season. Cheers!
T2F5CC7F20-8F67-42A2-9F3F-796BF851E961.jpeg

Had some moose short ribs burning a hole in my freezer and with the drizzly weather this morning I was in the mood for some comfort food. Browned them up then sauteed garlic onions carrots before mixing in some red wine, tomatoe paste, and moose stock broth to reduce for 20 mins. Placed in a crock pot and to bake/braise in the oven for three hours while I played catch up on life chores. Finished with mashing up some garden potatoes and it turned out quite delicious! Pic of the moose who donated the ribs IMG_20211011_200551_676.jpgPXL_20220501_003126270.jpg

In honor of the ling opening, I'm eating the last of my freezer ling. This was from June last year and still fresh tasting and juicy as can be. Time to fill her back up. If only I had a boat that liked working lol.
20220501_173334.jpg

Last edited:
Dropped by Quality Foods hoping there were some more Fiddleheads to go with tonight's Lamb. Yep.
Manager was there (we know each other fairly well) and I jokingly said: Let me know when you need to get rid of all of them.
He laughed, and said Today is your day. They are not moving as folks simply do not know how to deal with them.
All was 13 boxes.
OK. Charged me for ONE box!!
There is surely a reason I shop there!!

Guess I'll be freezing and pickling tomorrow...

Cheers,
Nog

If one pound of AAA Alberta Prime is good, then two pounds must be better!!

QJaxzVS.jpg

Seasoned & on the BarBee:

Bpeiylz.jpg

While that was charring, I cut our second harvest of Spare Gooses and tossed them in the air fryer (a mist of oil, salt & pepper):

9HPt14o.jpg

A quick cut - yep done just right:

cX0WTis.jpg

Then served up with Cheddar Chipotle Pasta & a fine Shiraz:

XbGycfi.jpg

Dinner is served...

JFC4jLO.jpg

Thank You Alberta!!
Nog

Last edited:
Sometimes simply is good.
BarBee smoked a couple pork loin steaks last night, then combined them with Mexican Dirty Rice with Beans (fortified with a little extra chili powder & chilis) with fresh uber sweet corn on the cob:

xKpYq54.jpg

Bonus is the leftover rice will form the basis of the air fried stuffed peppers I make tonight.

Cheers,
Nog

Bonus is the leftover rice will form the basis of the air fried stuffed peppers I make tonight.

Added some chopped Spanish (red) onions, diced smoked pork, a handful of sweet cheery tomatoes to the rice then stuffed a couple peppers. Tossed them in the air fryer, and walla, the base for yesterday's dinner:

Bhs9gbb.jpg

Turned out very well. The sweetness of the peppers & tomatoes actually complimented the spicy rice beyond expectations!

Cheers,
Nog

No less than five different seafoods went into this chowder: prawns, shrimp, halibut, crab and scallops.
Nice creamy base and the taste was outstanding!!
Great way to use up the leftovers...

N5Yiq2d.jpg

Cheers,
Nog
What‘s your secret for the creamy base in your chowders

Back