What's for dinner tonight ?

Had a huge free range buzzard the other night.
Way too much for us, so the leftovers went into a great chicken stew.
Six quarts thereof that is:

e6Wg1KS.jpg

Wonderful grits on a cold, wet & windy eve.

And a decent stash for more of the same down the road...

4gamL6i.jpg

Cheers,
Nog
Hey Nog,
How did you seal those jars? Did you acutally pressure can them? And are they shelf stable?

Hey Nog,
How did you seal those jars? Did you acutally pressure can them? And are they shelf stable?

Yep. Pressure canned for 90 minutes at 11 lbs.
Shelf stable for one hell of a long time.
Used to freeze that stuff, but it takes too much room up.
This is much better in that regard as I have a large pantry, and can be served up much quicker as well.

Cheers,
Nog

Buddy brought us some local oysters he picked... deep fried some for oyster burgers, water bath froze the rest, then the wife made Guinness steak n kidney smoked ham pie for St Paddys Day ~ green salad & fried brussels n carrots Best Regards (been down for a while but not totally out broke my wrist distal radius, another 40 days to go in the cast)IMG-20220319-WA0006.jpgIMG-20220319-WA0005.jpgIMG-20220319-WA0004.jpgIMG-20220319-WA0003.jpgIMG-20220319-WA0001.jpg20220319_204636.jpg20220321_134336.jpg

Night before last I took out too much Ling Cod for our Panko Ling dinner.
So yesterday I was thinking of ways to use up the leftovers.
Chowder...

No less than seven kinds of seafood: Prawns, Scallops, Crab, Clams, Ling Cod, Halibut & Maple Smoked Salmon.
Mixed in with chicken stock, taters, onions, carrots, celery, corn, heavy cream and that wonderful Bow River Blend from the Silk Road Shop.
Forgot to mention a good splash of 2020 Sauvignon Blanc.

Four quarts & change:

ar3DffS.jpg

First time I have ever tried this with Smoked Salmon.
From here on it will be a required ingredient!

Served up with cheesy garlic toast:

tYHymRC.jpg

The perfect answer on yet another wet & windy eve.

Pressure canning the balance today in anticipation of eventual more wet weather down the road.

Cheers,
Nog

Last edited:
Night before last I took out too much Ling Cod for our Panko Ling dinner.
So yesterday I was thinking of ways to use up the leftovers.
Chowder...

No less than seven kinds of seafood: Prawns, Scallops, Crab, Clams, Ling Cod, Halibut & Maple Smoked Salmon.
Mixed in with chicken stock, taters, onions, carrots, celery, corn, heavy cream and that wonderful Bow River Blend from the Silk Road Shop.
Forgot to mention a good splash of 2020 Sauvignon Blanc.

Four quarts & change:

ar3DffS.jpg

First time I have ever tried this with Smoked Salmon.
From here on it will be a required ingredient!

Served up with cheesy garlic toast:

tYHymRC.jpg

The perfect answer on yet another wet & windy eve.

Pressure canning the balance today in anticipation of eventual more wet weather down the road.

Cheers,
Nog
That looks amazing

55021B6E-B929-41D0-BC7A-0C7BAE8A07AC.jpegB7EFA281-118D-4518-9E3A-766BBD616858.jpegC3749997-357D-4956-8F82-073093E76855.jpeg
Pulled out the last pack of B.C. Spot prawns from the freezer.

Used this special bag of lemon pasta to make this meal.

Lemon pasta with roasted prawns and roasted asparagus with some freshly grated Parmesan to finish… plus freshly squeezed lemon juice drizzled over the serving.

Who needs to go out to eat, amazing food at home.

Last edited:
Back