What?......

just got this from the omega hatchery today
Hi Gary,

Here is an attached update to June 24th.

Since that date, the ITC Committee asked for a more definitive release location, we asked DFO what site they would approve of, DFO has not yet replied, so

earlier we put down a release location anywhere in Somas River and Alberni Inlet, to be determined”. Bob Cole suggested Arden Creek site (where DFO has identified this as a net pen release site for next year)

and Jake Leyenar suggest Great Central lake (where we have had a permit in 1996 for release of chin smolts).

We entered Arden Creek on the Permit.

To move the fish will take a large semi transport truck, we checked and our regular transporter is available.

So, just waiting for the go ahead.(and if not, a meeting to discuss why and what else is required).

Thanks for your interest, lets hope for a positive answer soon.

Sincerely,

Carol

Good news - have to think that the news broadcasts as well as the letter writing campaign to the Minister and local MP's had some impact.

They, like many others in the industry, are also passionate about the wellbeing of wild stocks and have utilised their facility for enhancement whenever they've had a chance.
I am in support of this because I too am passionate about the wellbeing of wild stocks and see it as an excellent way to boost some of the very small Chinook runs on WCVI.
You may not be able to reconcile the idea that farmers care about wild stocks with your preconceived notions - but it doesn't mean that there aren't a whole bunch of us out there working towards the same goal.

Can you tell us or find out what the results of their past "chances" have been.
Since we are all concerned this would be a step in the right direction.

Can you tell us or find out what the results of their past "chances" have been.
Since we are all concerned this would be a step in the right direction.

They have been working on the Sarita, Nahmint and Phillips Rivier systems since about 2009-2010.
I think the Sarita and Phillips have had 40,000-50,000 S1's released annually, but the Nahmint had less as far as I remember - could have been 20,000.

"We are currently rearing smolts for re-building three rivers on BC’s lower coast. These are the Phillips River, Nahmint River and Sarita River. We have also proposed a seven year project to compare results between DFO’s standard enhancement methods to our natural yearling smolt. We have additional proposals for low level stocks such as Bedwell River, in Clayoquot Sound."
http://www.omegapacific.ca/

The Phillips River project has the most monitoring on it and is looking very positive: http://www.crsalmonfoundation.org/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Spawning-times-2013-bklt.pdf

Thanks CK ... very interesting results. Even spotted a few faces in that newsletter i knew

updates???

This just in: "That said, after careful review and consideration by DFO and the Introductions and Transfers Committee (ITC), we have approved your application for the release of Chinook smolts on a one-time basis. Please find the I&T licence, attached."

More to come from Carol soon.

:D

I was talking to someone that works at another hatchery and was asking what they thought of this. They were saying part of the reason fish arnt kept as long at this as they want the smolts to live in the river systems and bays there put in so they can pick up there scent and thats how they return to that watersystem. Its all about water flow in the rivers, chinooks move quickly out of freshwater but still need time to adapt to the saltwater. Bigger fish arnt going to stay in slow running summer streams. Hatcherys use water from there nearby natural source. So fish that old have picked up quite a scent from it so if they are sent to other systems it can be confusing for the fish where they should come back.

Sounded very interesting and I want to read more on it but my computer is so full I cant even open a pdf to read anything right now.

Looks like things are moving along...excerpt from an email from Carol:

Again thanks to all of your efforts and much support from local residents, TV & Newspaper media coverage, BC Wildlife Federation, James Lunney we will be able to Release the Robertson Chinook Smolts..

Release Particulars:

Check out Location for Release – Friday, July 5th, (...) do some water temp and Salinity & Oxygen's and make sure the truck can easily access the site for discharge.

Monday, July 8th - Barge in transport truck to Omega Pacific. Check the system, disinfect and fill up tanks with water and put truck in place for early morning loading.

Tuesday, July 9th – Boat in extra employees (6;30 am) for loading fish into transport tanks. (...)
Should be at the release site between 1 and 2 pm.

(...)

Thanks,

Carol

Thankfully, some sanity has prevailed and these fish won't go to waste! Good on ya for all the folks who made some noise to get the decision makers to do the right thing in this case.

JUST GOT THE EMAIL BELOW FROM BOB COLE WHO FORWARDED ON CAROL'S BEHALF. THEY NEED SOME VOLUNTEERS:

Hello Everyone,

Again thanks to all of your efforts and much support from local residents, TV & Newspaper media coverage, BC Wildlife Federation, James Lunney we will be able to Release the Robertson Chinook Smolts..

Release Particulars:
Check out Location for Release – Friday, July 5th, Bob and I and Rune etc. will be driving to the site in the afternoon, I plan to do some water temp and Salinity & Oxygen's and
make sure the truck can easily access the site for discharge.

Truck Transport Particulars
Monday, July 8th - Barge in transport truck to Omega Pacific. Check the system, disinfect and fill up tanks with water and put truck in place for early morning loading.

Tuesday, July 9th – Boat in extra employees (6;30 am) for loading fish into transport tanks. Start loading by 7 am and should be loaded by 10 or 11 am and ready to depart.
Should be at the release site between 1 and 2 pm.
Those who would like to participate I can phone and we can meet up on route.
If there is interest to be at the hatchery for the loading, we will be doing a 6;30 am boat pick-up for our crew, or one could drive to the Browns Bay site on Great Central and we can pick you up there, that way
once we are on route, you can get in your vehicle and follow us to the release site.

Let me know and it would be great to have your participation.

Thanks,
Carol

Back