What upgrade to make?

buccaneer

Hi guys, looking for a little advice here. I have 2 upgrades that I want to do to my boat but can't do both this year. What would be your choice?
It's either upgrade steering to seastar hydraulic or new hds combo.

The current sounder is a 20 yr old lowrance unit that loses bottom at 300 or so ft and when on plane.

With the cable steering when working the riggers, the motor flops to the side I'm on. It's a real pain working the gear when fishing alone.

What would you do first?

I would go with the steering first. It is a basic, important part of your boat that needs to work well, especially if you fish alone. Electronics are always changing and if you wait another year you'll have even more bells and whistle's to play with. My 2 bits.

I would go with the steering first. It is a basic, important part of your boat that needs to work well, especially if you fish alone. Electronics are always changing and if you wait another year you'll have even more bells and whistle's to play with. My 2 bits.
X2 on the steering.

yes don't be crazy ---do the steering -----did mine last year ---it's a dream ---- fishing alone just leave the wheel and it stays on the tack you left it --it will wander due to waves and wind but the motor does not do the flop over to one side it stays where you left it . Wasn't that hard to do once you dig into it.

I would go with the steering also as it is more of a safety thing and as Whole in the water said electronics are always being upgraded.

Dont mean to hijack but if any has some good articles or websites on steering and how works to wire them up etc it would be appreciated. :)

Thanks guys, guess it's pretty obvious to do the steering. Must have been blinded by the bright screen of the sounder;)

Gonna be nice to have the motor stay where I leave it.

Hi guys, looking for a little advice here. I have 2 upgrades that I want to do to my boat but can't do both this year. What would be your choice?
It's either upgrade steering to seastar hydraulic or new hds combo.

The current sounder is a 20 yr old lowrance unit that loses bottom at 300 or so ft and when on plane.

With the cable steering when working the riggers, the motor flops to the side I'm on. It's a real pain working the gear when fishing alone.

What would you do first?

Steering would be first priority imo.

There might be an easy fix for your sounder as well. I was having issues with my sounder on plane and sometimes even while trolling, rerouted the transducer cable to run on the port side away from power and motor control cables. Fixed it for me.

Back