Straightwatch - Who are they really?

Salted

Was fishing the other day, and heard a rather questionable use of VHF 16 throughout the day by a group known as Straightwatch. Apparently they're a non-profit with the goal of informing other vessels about whales in the immediate area. Seems reasonable.

A few days prior we'd been fishing the same area, and there were some grey whales in the pass. This was communicated professionally and succinctly by other vessels transiting the pass (not Straightwatch). Good clear information.

A few days later a humpback comes around, and Straightwatch is hailing individual vessels with nonsensical descriptions "white hulled vessle nearing active pass" ... ok, that only applies to at least half a dozen folks out here... my fishing partner and I kept scratching our heads at how they used VHF 16. Confusing and congesting VHF 16. To put it politely, they need to refine their technique.

As we packed up and headed towards the nearest point *in a direct course several hundred meters away from the humpback whales*, they followed us at high speed. I stopped to hear their concern, not a particularly friendly bunch, just interested in saying their bit about the whale and the speed/distance requirements, then suggested we alter course beyond our already adequate distance.

The law is the law, stopping a vessel underway, while in compliance, and *not even close* to an intercept vector on the whales, just so you can say your bit is not acceptable. You are overstepping.

Is Straightwatch one of those rent-a-non-profit groups just used by whale watching companies or the politics of the DFO to say "see we're making a difference"? Because when we ran into them they did make a difference, they were unprofessional and in need of some management.

Anyone here had an interaction with Straightwatch? Positive or negative - would like to hear it!

Looks like a Greenpeace ex-pat started this group using other Greenpeace ex-pats and volunteers from places such as Belgium, Toronto and academics from Vancouver and Victoria:

I am guessing they are making that claim: "see we're making a difference" to their funders:

If they are forcing a dangerous situation on the water - I would record video and contact the RCMP afterwards.

I’m fine with them giving information to vessels who may not realize the whales are in the area and not have spotted them. Usually a dead giveaway is the necklace of whale watching boats, but sometimes they haven’t arrived yet. I do get frustrated when they start pretending they are some kind of Mall Cop with authority over other boaters in an attempt to justify themselves. It’s all about raising funds and grabbing power IMO.

Was waved down by them the other day in Discovery. It was obvious that whales were in the vicinity by observing the number of boats and radio chatter. While keeping out of the path of a tug and barge, I slowed and they approached only to advise the path around the whales was in the direction i was headed. Not that I don’t think they could provide a service but these boats should have AIS identification as a black inflatable with a flag on a pole and a side marking that you can’t see from 50 meters isn’t quite as obvious as a tug pulling a loaded barge. I was more concerned about the barge.

I've had them put themselves in a near death situation off my bow in an attempt to push me off course to avoid whales (which were in transit and not an issue)
I'm not a fan of these weekend warrior non professional mariners
In my view, another organization finding a new way to shake money out of a gullible public using the "save the whales" mantra for fund raising.

Are they deliberately using vessels that closely resemble Police/RCMP, DFO boats etc. and related policing tactics to make themselves more effective at stopping vessels so they can lecture, (they would call it educating) the evil doers? I know if I observed a dark color rib racing up my stern I would think it was an actual authority and immediately drop off plane, but they are not authorities, more like impersonators.

Even if they are using standard appearing Rec. boats, what right do they have to stop a vessel that is not in breech of any legislation or even one that is. It must be thrilling to be full of adrenaline, chasing down, overtaking and pulling over or forcing off course (in their minds) the evils doers boats. At what point does it become vigilantism? The more the authorities allow this, the more likely it is to escalate into a violent or a tragic situation. So what happens then, the taxpayers have to pay for actual RCMP boats to go out, monitor the situation and keep the peace.

Can you imagine if a group decided to open a web site and solicited money for private citizens to run around using their vehicles to educate drivers and enforce traffic laws. You would need a good cause for the web site. How about; save the children on bicycles and babies in strollers. Chase down drivers you think you have clocked going 3k over the speed limit and educate them to slow down and that there is cross walk up a head. Now that would go smoothly, no conflicts at all.

In my view, another organization finding a new way to shake money out of a gullible public using the "save the whales" mantra for fund raising.

Are they deliberately using vessels that closely resemble Police/RCMP, DFO boats etc. and related policing tactics to make themselves more effective at stopping vessels so they can lecture, (they would call it educating) the evil doers? I know if I observed a dark color rib racing up my stern I would think it was an actual authority and immediately drop off plane, but they are not authorities, more like impersonators.
YA - the Sea Shepherd bunch does the exact same. Juice up a pile of young, gullible, impressionable urban kids who don't know any better on the "thrill" of "direct action" against the "evil-doers" as you said (said with a "dum-dum-dum" afterwards). Pretty much how all tyrants & predators use young men to even start wars - while we are comparing similarities. And some of the least reputable ENGOs (like SSS) also had malignant narcissists & predators at the top of the food chain inside those ENGOs.

Last edited:

Even if they are using standard appearing Rec. boats, what right do they have to stop a vessel that is not in breech of any legislation or even one that is. It must be thrilling to be full of adrenaline, chasing down, overtaking and pulling over or forcing off course (in their minds) the evils doers boats. At what point does it become vigilantism? The more the authorities allow this, the more likely it is to escalate into a violent or a tragic situation. So what happens then, the taxpayers have to pay for actual RCMP boats to go out, monitor the situation and keep the peace.

Can you imagine if a group decided to open a web site and solicited money for private citizens to run around using their vehicles to educate drivers and enforce traffic laws. You would need a good cause for the web site. How about; save the children on bicycles and babies in strollers. Chase down drivers you think you have clocked going 3k over the speed limit and educate them to slow down and that there is cross walk up a head. Now that would go smoothly, no conflicts at all.

Picture2.jpg

Completely ignore them and maybe they will go away. I will not slow down or stop for anyone not clearly marked as RCMP or DFO. We were approached by the "Whale Chicks" off of Malcolm Island years ago. My nephew stood on the back deck with Hali harpoon in hand and asked what the daily limit on Orca's was. They never approached us again.

I heard them Thursday droning on 68 while fishing the Trap (They were at Race). I turned off the VHF and listened to the Peetz reels screaming instead. Problem solved.

Back