West Coast vs East Coast Vancouver Island Springer Fishing

knucklebustah

I've been fishing up on Vancouver Island for the last 20 years (man, I don't feel that old yet....), but just the West Side. Kyoquot and more recently Bamfield once they changed the regs for the inside up in Kyoquot.

My question is - how does the fishing at a place like Port McNeill compared to the West Coast? I've been thinking about varying it up a bit. I've been looking around on the forum for the last hour, and I've had some luck on info between the two, but nothing big. Please excuse my ignorance if I missed some big post that already covers this.

Thanks!

T wo totally different experiences in my opinion. I usually do both every year except this last yr I only went to Bamfield. I love Alder Bay it is fishable in any wind there is usually a place to hide. Ive never been to Bamfield when the fishing is red hot on the inside but would like to experience that one day. Same as Alder Bay though. I have picked up nice salmon in both locations. Offshore Bamfield has definately seen more good days then bad. The scenery is great in both places also. The last few years I have done better overall size and numbers locally for salmon than the trips i made to Bamfield but that again could be just timing. We limited on Springs last yr at Bamfield offshore but the biggest was only around 20 lbs. Good Luck with what ever you do, its always nice to check out new areas. Atleast this yr you have the Dollar going good for you. Make your trip a little cheaper.

That's a really tough call. Like Duffer, I like Alder Bay - in fact I'm going to be up there for 5 weeks again this summer. Last summer, the fishing was very spotty and several of the AB regulars towed their boats over to Port Alice and Coal Harbour and had great success. The summer before, fishing at AB was great. I limited out and made one run home so I could keep on fishing. The fishing on either side is going to depend on the various runs and which side of the Island they go down.

I would say telegraph cove fishing is not as consistent as the west coast. That being its a beautiful place paved rods and easy to bring in rv. Also at least when I was there is was really calm not very busy and beautiful scenery and you could get into the broughtons. I don't know if you re able to catch and keep sockeye up that far north but if you can that maybe a added bonus.

Thanks everyone for the info! Given all this I think I will definitely check it out up there. Alder Bay sounds like a winner; does anyone have any opinions on Sund's Lodge on Malcom Island up there?

T wo totally different experiences in my opinion. I usually do both every year except this last yr I only went to Bamfield. I love Alder Bay it is fishable in any wind there is usually a place to hide. Ive never been to Bamfield when the fishing is red hot on the inside but would like to experience that one day. Same as Alder Bay though. I have picked up nice salmon in both locations. Offshore Bamfield has definately seen more good days then bad. The scenery is great in both places also. The last few years I have done better overall size and numbers locally for salmon than the trips i made to Bamfield but that again could be just timing. We limited on Springs last yr at Bamfield offshore but the biggest was only around 20 lbs. Good Luck with what ever you do, its always nice to check out new areas. Atleast this yr you have the Dollar going good for you. Make your trip a little cheaper.

You're looking at very different operations. Alder Bay is an RV Park with a boat launch and slips. They do have a couple of trailers available for rental purposes but no boats. Sunds is an all inclusive Fishing Lodge that provides meals, accommodation, and guided fishing trips. I've seen their boats but can't comment on the quality of the Lodge experience.

If your going to spend money like that book a trip to qcl or Hippa . The fishing is way better for not much more than Lunds. Alder Bay has a big camper for rent with everything like Big Bruce said. It has all the bedding, dishes,BBQ u just bring food. They have a guide up there also get him to take ya out the first day and show ya the ropes? Anyway good luck and Go Seahawks!

Thanks everyone!

And man, I don't know about the rest of the world, but if you were a Seahawks fan, that was one GREAT Superbowl.

GO HAWKS!

What a game almost like the Grey Cup game only one team came to play lol! In my opinion east side fishing to west side fishing is totally different when it comes to salmon runs. I have sport fished my whole life and spent a couple years commercial fishing from Sooke to Hardy both east and west. The east side of the island no doubt can have great fishing but if the runs are spotty and don't hold in areas to feed you will be dragging gear all day long picking weeds off time to time. The west side of the island say Bamfield north you get to tap into many runs, Barkley Sound you can always find protected water but again you will most likely be targeting local runs. Offshore some local fish hang round but also many other runs of fish heading south or further down the island. There always seems to be many fish, you can tell when the runs have changed by the shape of the fish generally ( Columbia River Run tend to be short and fat and head shapes slightly different ) not to mention the coho fishing goes crazy mid August forward on the west coast. Coho hate warm water and will stay offshore in the cold water even just a couple of degrees make a huge difference. I have caught my share of 40 plus pound Springs over the years and I would way rather have busy lines catching 15 - 30lbers anyday than dragging all day long for sometimes days to get one lunker. If you happen to be on the east when the run shows up it will be great calm water fun but if your between runs talk about boring and if your taking kids they will never want to fish again. If your looking for a consistent fishery you will find it on the west side of the island, areas north of Estevan Point tend to be a little more miserable in the spring I would stick between Bamfield and Tofino in the late spring early summer and then mid to late these same areas are great but further north has a great summer fishery as well with less pressure from the sporties. This is only my opinion based on thousands of hours on the sea everyone seems to have a great fishing tale about every area but how many days did they spend on the water to get those 1 or 2 good stories probably many. I grew up on the eastside of the island on the waterfront and mastered the area, there is just no comparison to the West Coast for consistent everyday fishing performance if you know even just a little bit about fishing. Good luck where ever you go! Below is how west coast fishing is in Ucluelet everyday all July and August long. ( Guest Pics from 2013 )

photo (56).jpgphoto (57).jpgphoto (55).jpgphoto (54).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back