WCVI fishing and camping recommendations

Fish Mojo

Hi there, new member from Oregon, USA. I’m looking for some ideas to come up to West Coast Vancouver Island summer of 2022 for the best opportunities for big chinooks. Am wanting to tow my 19’ Lund with my 24’ class C rv. So, looking for full hook up camping for the rv with moorage that is reasonably close to the fishing grounds. Would also like to book a guide 1st day of fishing to get dialed in.
Any thoughts to share? Thanks!

Hi there, new member from Oregon, USA. I’m looking for some ideas to come up to West Coast Vancouver Island summer of 2022 for the best opportunities for big chinooks. Am wanting to tow my 19’ Lund with my 24’ class C rv. So, looking for full hook up camping for the rv with moorage that is reasonably close to the fishing grounds. Would also like to book a guide 1st day of fishing to get dialed in.
Poett Nook, on the way to Bamfield. Go in August, don't have to go far to fish then.

I'm not sure if they have full hookups, but they have a boat launch and you'd be right in Barkley sound with lots of fishing opportunities. Off the highway it's about 12 km (+/-) on a decently maintained gravel road. Someone knows better than me but I think late July and through August is the best time for Chinook. Plenty of guides out of Ucluelet that can help you out too. I love it out there...the Broken Group is pretty fun to explore.

Thanks everyone for the contributions so far. Poet looks promising, but concerns about the road in and sardine camping.

Secret Beach, a bit too primitive.

Keep them coming.

your going to have to make a few compromises given your boat size and desire for amenities. I’d look at what nootka marine adventures has to offer around the Last 2 weeks of July first 2 weeks of august.

Thanks everyone for the contributions so far. Poet looks promising, but concerns about the road in and sardine camping.

Secret Beach, a bit too primitive.

Keep them coming.

We camped at Winter Harbour the first week of August this year for 4 days and pretty much limited out on Ling & Salmon, staying to the inside in an enclosed 17' aluminum with a 30hp 2-stroke. Guys were bringing back their limits of hali as long as they could get 2km outside of Quatsino. Great facilities, friendly walkable/kid-friendly town, "decent" road conditions, amazing nearby hikes and world-class beaches. Only drawback was the relentless and vicious mosquitoes.

Attachments

• PXL_20210802_182620030.jpg
    PXL_20210802_182620030.jpg
    717.8 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_0964[1].jpg
    IMG_0964[1].jpg
    206.9 KB · Views: 113
We camped at Winter Harbour the first week of August this year for 4 days and pretty much limited out on Ling & Salmon, staying to the inside in an enclosed 17' aluminum with a 30hp 2-stroke. Guys were bringing back their limits of hali as long as they could get 2km outside of Quatsino. Great facilities, friendly walkable/kid-friendly town, "decent" road conditions, amazing nearby hikes and world-class beaches. Only drawback was the relentless and vicious mosquitoes.
Port Renfrew might be a good bet in August. You can fish for big Springs in close just outside the bay

Right now, I'm leaning towards Moutcha Bay Resort on Nootka. They gave me a quote for 6 nights rv with moorage, second week of August. Seemed reasonable. Also have a quote for a guided boat for the first day to get dialed in.

Anyone have direct experience staying there? Is this good timing for the fishing?

Right now, I'm leaning towards Moutcha Bay Resort on Nootka. They gave me a quote for 6 nights rv with moorage, second week of August. Seemed reasonable. Also have a quote for a guided boat for the first day to get dialed in.

Anyone have direct experience staying there? Is this good timing for the fishing?
Great place to stay and to fish! Good people and amenities there. Fishing can be great but crowded on the inside at peak times. Also if there is warm water in the inlet you can get some serious algae and jellyfish problems.

Moucha bay is a great choice. Great facility, reasonably good road, fish will be on the inside, you can still run to the outside if you want bottom fish.
You wont be lonely. Good luck.

You'll be hard pressed to find anything with better amenities and service than Moutcha Bay. The run up the Sound from Moutcha is anywhere from 15-30 minutes to get to prime fishing grounds on the inside. Maybe 45 plus if you want to go offshore. Inside the Sound the second week of Aug is starting to slow a bit, but, it's fishing, you never know. You've got great protected fishing on the inside that can be lake like, and of course plenty of options offshore to explore. Not sure what the regs are gonna be next year, but, I suspect most of the area will be open. Moutcha has gas, a great restaurant/bar, fish preparation facilities and lots more. Its a little further than most resorts from to the fishing grounds, but, you can drive in to it which makes it one of the most accessible in some ways. Just be mindful that you do have to travel on some gravel, so, be prepared with extra trailer parts and tools/equipment/spare tires/compressor etc in case of a breakdown. It's pretty isolated up there and getting help can take time. Virtually no cell phone access on the road from Campbell River to Gold River then again from Gold River till you get to Moutcha who does have connectivity. You will want to make sure you protect the boat somehow from the dust too. A cover on the boat and a trailer rock guard screen are good investments. I'm picky with my boat so others might not agree, but, a dusty/dirty boat ain't the way to start a trip. You won't be disappointed.

You will want to make sure you protect the boat somehow from the dust too. A cover on the boat and a trailer rock guard screen are good investments. I'm picky with my boat so others might not agree, but, a dusty/dirty boat ain't the way to start a trip. You won't be disappointed.
And in mid August we are usually well into the summer drought. A lot of the tiny coastal communities have very finite storage capacity in their water systems. Restrictions will likely be in place, so don't show up expecting to hose off road dust. Boat cover as per the above is a sensible plan. And the gravel guards.

Ya, launching in Gold River and running the boat via Muchalat Inlet is the safest way to get the boat to Moutcha. That’s about an hour run depending on speed. You can park your trailer at the Gold River launch too for their daily fee. It’s safe and fenced. But you’ve still gotta drive the RV down the gravel road to Moutcha and you need an extra body to do that. Some logistics to work thru. You can PM me if you have any questions.

There a couple crazy hills, on the way to Moutcha. If I recall they’re 18%. They’re paved, because they’re so steep. When I go up and down, with my large camper on, I use 4LO and use engine compression braking and save my brakes. So you rig has to be on point. Or this is a very hazardous part of this road. Launch in Gold River is best, and drive to Moutcha unloaded.

One more thing. There are large off road logging trucks on this road. I carry a scanner and monitor. My last trip that way, this October. I heard a load coming up the hill. So I pulled out and waited. A really big load came up hill. Glad I did, because some sections of these hills are narrow and cliff on one side. I’d hate to back up, uphill, if I encountered this load.

Last edited:
Back