West Coast Fishing Guide Association Meeting

Hey Craven l respect what you are trying to say but the people I take out are just like you, they work all week just like you , they want to go catch some fish on there days off just like you, the only difference is you have a boat and they don't. So they get me to take them out . No difference at all .

I hear you Trev, just pointing out it would be pretty dissapointing to a lot of guys who get their first shot at a big fish
and have to release it because of a slot size restriction.
I don't know what the answer is, i think i'll go fishing on the weekend !;)

Matt, You are my friend so don't take any of this personally as its not meant to be...

No Worries Buddy! The entire matter associated with halibut is one of extreme controversy at this point! No-one is happy with the current situation whatsoever, and that is bound to get our hackles up.

Apologies it took me so long to respond. Believe it or not I actually do have a life outside of these matters, and was preoccupied pretty much all day yest grinding through another batch of yummy sausages.

Now we've had another one of these "private meetings" between guides and lodges, and your recommendations are to give in to the current TAC and make it work with slot limits and a lowerd catch rate which is unacceptable IMO and is trying to pose BS limitations to extend the season a bit so guides and lodges can book more trips.

Again, nothing nefarious about the meeting. It was simply one of several regularly scheduled meetings for the Association over the course of the year. Business as usual as it were. The matter of halibut was simply timely as the recent announcement came just prior to the already scheduled gathering.

You should have been in the room if you perceive anyone was "giving in to the current TAC". Far from it my Friend, most were as incensed over this BS as you, and many even more so!

And I am sorry if I left anyone with the wrong impression here. The discussions were not about how to book more trips by any means. In reality, they focused on the potential of somehow spreading the season out for as long as possible, for EVERYONE!

I wonder if you succeed in changing the halibut limit to 1-1 if you will see LESS business with a longer season then you would see if it was 1-2 and a shorter season?

The 1 & 1 suggestion was clearly noted as a "worse case fallback" scenario. And yes, were it to be adopted, the guides would be taking a very solid hit. Many folks that charter do so for 2 days. In all likelihood were the 1 & 1 to be adopted, all the guides could expect a serious and negative setback to bookings. Everyone there recognized that, but were willing to take that risk in order for Everyone Else to have legal access through the best fishing times in August. Again, as a worse case scenario.

The thought behind the one of any size and one falling under a certain size wasn't put forward for the sole benefit of the guides. It was rather perceived to be amongst the least painful of options for All in order to realize a longer season. Definitely not seeking an extension into September "as that's when guide operations shut down", but rather that even with any of the potential options discussed, with the amount of poundage we have been afforded this year, there is simply NO way to extend it beyond that.

The 1 & 2 plus slot size would very much effect guides and their operations. Many clients will simply not wish to wander offshore for a smaller halibut, especially when during the madhouse fishery on larger springs is occurring. And while it may effect a handful of those who travel from afar with their own rigs, it would have rather little effect on resident local anglers. It would of course directly effect those amongst us who prefer to fish in August's great weather, regardless of whether we are local, afar, run our own boats, or engage a guide.

... the truth of the matter is all of us ( rec boys) will go fill our freezers in before august with the current allocation.

aYup. In all likelihood there is every possibility of the "Gold Rush" mentality setting in amongst many under the current situation. Many will probably venture out under questionable conditions that they otherwise wouldn't, risking life and limb to collect "their share" before it closes. As an aside, it was these exact same conditions that lead to the original assignment of the ITQ's, as many then involved were willing to risk their and their crew's lives to get in on it before it was over.

Hate to say it, but the "fill our freezers" line line does little to sway me. It smacks a little too much of "as long as I can get MY share, to hell with anyone else involved". Not meant as a personal shot Lorne, just that particular mentality doesn't sit all that well with me. There are a great many players amongst our Sector, and I tend to believe we can and should share what we have evenly amongst us.

it might get us to september, maybe, but maybe not as there is no real accountability for our catch so the dfo can say whatever they want and shut us down whenever they want because we dont have a leg to stand on. What if they shut us down in June hypothetically? how can we prove them wrong that we havent fished our quota? we cant. And they like it that way. If it stays open till sept its because they wanted it too. It would have zero to do with a slot or anything.

We all agree that the catch monitoring for our Sector leaves something to be desired, and that statistical models aren't likely the best method to determine that. Recommendations from us have been largely ignored, as DFO has repeatedly stated they are happy with the way things are. Many guides and several lodges have been working on very specific accountability, and that is being carried forward. Perhaps one day we see a system in place all of us can live with, but that will take time...

So, for now, we are stuck with the system they employ for at least this season. And, that system follows a very specific pattern. By applying the estimated catch rate over the past five or so years, it is reasonably easy to determine just when they believe a given amount of poundage will be caught. Based on this year's poundage, the saw-off clearly appears to be ~ mid-August. And while their system may be subject to some fiddling, it is not nearly as much so as we'd tend to believe. The only way we will see it extended is by doing something regarding our own catch rates. Do I like that? NOT ONE DAMN BIT! But that said, I do understand there are ways to "work it" towards a season extending beyond August...

If they want to extend the season, starting later as I mentioned earlier would be a better solution then this. Say May 1 for example. Although i would not support that as it is still making concessions, at least it make a bit of sense of EVERYONES best interest, as the amount of sporties fishing hali before May 1 is minimal

For the very reason you note: "the amount of sporties fishing hali before May 1 is minimal" a later opening is not a viable option. Insufficient poundage is caught previous to that to make any real difference in the overall picture. What it would do of course is penalize those who fish out of Victoria and area, as theirs pretty much is an early season show. Largely Regular Joe Anglers by the way...

I honestly believe that the reasons for discussing the options presented was not at all for selfish means, but rather as a way to provide the maximum access (time wise) for Everyone. And yes, that means the Regular Joe Anglers, but also includes the guides. They, and the various businesses that support that occupation are very much part of "us".

Are the suggestions perfect? Hell NO!
We shouldn't even have to be investigating any such direction! Rather obvious just who you have to thank for that.

Should the guides be taken to task for attempting to do something they perceive as beneficial to All? Again, Hell NO!
They were honestly and diligently working towards something close to a viable solution for the benefit of Everyone.

I apologize if I presented this in the wrong way. Seems to have raised the hackles of more than a few. Certainly wasn't the intent, and I can honestly say that the discussions were held with the benefit for ALL in foremost consideration. I am sorry if that came across otherwise, but this was truely the nature of why the options were even being discussed in the first place. Moreso I am even sorrier we have been pushed so far into the corner that any such consideration was even neccessary. :(

What a friggin mess.
I think the guys from our sector that have to make a recommendation to DFO are in a bad place.
The guys that have to make this recommendation are not the bad guys.
They are just like you and me,they have to weigh all Canadians needs and use there best judgement.
Another point that needs to be made is the final decision is up to DFO.

What a friggin mess

TOTAL Agreement here GLG! No-one has all the answers. FAR from it. And those that work at trying to do something, anything with the numbers we have been force-fed are publicly accused of being selfish and self-serving. Sad situation all round.

You can bet your bottom dollar though that the Fish Brokers are rubbing their hand with glee over the dissention this is creating. Something else to thank The Dino for...

There is NO perfect solution. There are NO easy answers. Screwed if we do, screwed if we don't. Pretty much EXACTLY where they want us. "What a Friggin Mess" sums it up right nicely... unfortunately... :(

Bottom Line Lorne, rest assured your final comment WILL be adhered to!!

Then we can protest fish, keep writing letters and flipping out. it got us 15% lets keep the ball rolling!

Abso-Effing-Lutely!!
Nog

This is a hard situation for all of us either sporties or guides. I can see both sides and I get it too. I just think that if it goes to 1-1 it won't come back to 1-2 ever. Also the fact that the rec sector brings so much more added value to the resource it shouldn't even be a question who comes first.

We used to be 2/3
Now 1/2

Proposed 1/1?

The fact that there is ANY consideration given by guides or whoever to go to 1/1 just disgusts me.

I personally would rather see it closed aug 01 and be given the opportunity to bring home 2 fish. IMHO

Since you pick and chose a sentence here and a sentance there through my many posts here it is easy to make things look like a rainbow. I will try not to do the same. Cause thats not fair. Again matt nothing personal. We need to get together for a few beers and another walk on the river soon so i can clear my head. hahaha

Again, nothing nefarious about the meeting. It was simply one of several regularly scheduled meetings for the Association over the course of the year. Business as usual as it were. The matter of halibut was simply timely as the recent announcement came just prior to the already scheduled gathering.!

Lets be real. The DFO wanted recemmendations in by today. Its far too much of a coinsidence for me to buy that you guys had a "regular scheduled meeting" at such a timely time.But hey weirder things have happened.

You should have been in the room if you perceive anyone was "giving in to the current TAC". Far from it my Friend, most were as incensed over this BS as you, and many even more so!

I wish i was, as do many of us. However we arent guides and lodges so we werent invited.It probably had nothing to do with any rec fisherman with a brain would have flipped a table if someone suggested that reduce our possesion limt and have a slot.,

The 1 & 1 suggestion was clearly noted as a "worse case fallback" scenario. And yes, were it to be adopted, the guides would be taking a very solid hit. Many folks that charter do so for 2 days. In all likelihood were the 1 & 1 to be adopted, all the guides could expect a serious and negative setback to bookings. Everyone there recognized that, but were willing to take that risk in order for Everyone Else to have legal access through the best fishing times in August. Again, as a worse case scenario.

So if it was noted as a worst case, why was it being recommmended? What were all the other options presented that would have been better? They must exist as this was the worst one. What are those? The negative effects of going to a 1 to 1 at this time of the year are much less to a guides pocket then not being able to fish in august. Most guides are already booked up in august. To a sportie fishing 1 to 1 vs not being able to fish in august is a no brainer. 9 out 10 would take the no august over 1 to 1.

The thought behind the one of any size and one falling under a certain size wasn't put forward for the sole benefit of the guides. It was rather perceived to be amongst the least painful of options for All in order to realize a longer season. Definitely not seeking an extension into September "as that's when guide operations shut down", but rather that even with any of the potential options discussed, with the amount of poundage we have been afforded this year, there is simply NO way to extend it beyond that.

Well which one is it. THe worst case fall back, or the least painful?

aYup. In all likelihood there is every possibility of the "Gold Rush" mentality setting in amongst many under the current situation. Many will probably venture out under questionable conditions that they otherwise wouldn't, risking life and limb to collect "their share" before it closes. As an aside, it was these exact same conditions that lead to the original assignment of the ITQ's, as many then involved were willing to risk their and their crew's lives to get in on it before it was over

Having a season that end august 1st, is not going to give a gold rush mentality to rec fisherman. Holy fack man, march 1 or august is 6 months! and even may to august is 4 months! That is a poor argument IMO.

Hate to say it, but the "fill our freezers" line line does little to sway me. It smacks a little too much of "as long as I can get MY share, to hell with anyone else involved". Not meant as a personal shot Lorne, just that particular mentality doesn't sit all that well with me. There are a great many players amongst our Sector, and I tend to believe we can and should share what we have evenly amongst us.

Agreed. Instead the line is "fill your wallets" that doesnt sit well with me.. Lets do the super unpopular thing. Have a rec quota and outffiters quota and a commie quota. THat would be good hey? then you guys can do whatever you want with yours? Cause im not seeing alot of sharing going on lately.

We all agree that the catch monitoring for our Sector leaves something to be desired, and that statistical models aren't likely the best method to determine that. Recommendations from us have been largely ignored, as DFO has repeatedly stated they are happy with the way things are. Many guides and several lodges have been working on very specific accountability, and that is being carried forward. Perhaps one day we see a system in place all of us can live with, but that will take time...

So, for now, we are stuck with the system they employ for at least this season. And, that system follows a very specific pattern. By applying the estimated catch rate over the past five or so years, it is reasonably easy to determine just when they believe a given amount of poundage will be caught. Based on this year's poundage, the saw-off clearly appears to be ~ mid-August. And while their system may be subject to some fiddling, it is not nearly as much so as we'd tend to believe. The only way we will see it extended is by doing something regarding our own catch rates. Do I like that? NOT ONE DAMN BIT! But that said, I do understand there are ways to "work it" towards a season extending beyond August...

I agree the saw off will be mid august. However trying to work within thier ******** isnt sending the right message. I feel like i am saying the same thing over and over...

I honestly believe that the reasons for discussing the options presented was not at all for selfish means, but rather as a way to provide the maximum access (time wise) for Everyone. And yes, that means the Regular Joe Anglers, but also includes the guides. They, and the various businesses that support that occupation are very much part of "us".

Are the suggestions perfect? Hell NO!
We shouldn't even have to be investigating any such direction! Rather obvious just who you have to thank for that.

Should the guides be taken to task for attempting to do something they perceive as beneficial to All? Again, Hell NO!
They were honestly and diligently working towards something close to a viable solution for the benefit of Everyone.

I will ask a few questions for the last time then i am done with this totally i think(hopefully). I think i have said everything i can and it seems like everyone just avoids the root of my concerns. I have said everything i have wanted to say and it is now becoming for circular and frustrating.

Why werent the rec guys asked about our thoughts on this? Its funny how the G/O is doing whats right for everyone, yet nobody was consulted. This was 100% a blind side.
How is a 1 and 1 and a slot thinking long term and the best thing for ALL of us.

To me this isnt gray at all. its very black and white. And not hard to answer, yet getting a real answer is like pulling teeth.

quotes-effort3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
$$$$$$$$$$$$ and JOB"S and for Lodge's Quota its not Lodge's Quota its THE PEOPLE OF CANADA AND FUTURE GENERATIONS FISH.. This has to stop us thinking of NOW how about the Future Generations and the Canadian's just about to retire from working all their lifes looking forward to moving to BC to fish. NOT ALL CANADIAN'S WANT TO GOLF...Future Generation's the kid's that have not be BORN YET, How about them they have the same right's as me or any of you to have the same opportunities to go fishing.. This is the Responsibility of GOVERNMENT to protect these rights, they are NOT at this time Protecting Fishing OR Our Rights.. Sorry alwaysfishn not screaming at you just Raving Im pissed.
I look at the Guides as a taxi driver he drives people out to the fishing grounds to fish. These people have a right to fish they just don't have the boat to get it done. The halibut belong to all Canadians.

We used to be 2/3
Now 1/2

Proposed 1/1?

The fact that there is ANY consideration given by guides or whoever to go to 1/1 just disgusts me.

I personally would rather see it closed aug 01 and be given the opportunity to bring home 2 fish. IMHO
X2 totally agree

Since you pick and chose a sentence here and a sentance there through my many posts here it is easy to make things look like a rainbow. I will try not to do the same. Cause thats not fair.

Lets be real. The DFO wanted recemmendations in by today. Its far too much of a coinsidence for me to buy that you guys had a "regular scheduled meeting" at such a timely time.But hey weirder things have happened.

I wish i was, as do many of us. However we arent guides and lodges so we werent invited.It probably had nothing to do with any rec fisherman with a brain would have flipped a table if someone suggested that reduce our possesion limt and have a slot.,

So if it was noted as a worst case, why was it being recommmended? What were all the other options presented that would have been better? They must exist as this was the worst one. What are those? The negative effects of going to a 1 to 1 at this time of the year are much less to a guides pocket then not being able to fish in august. Most guides are already booked up in august. To a sportie fishing 1 to 1 vs not being able to fish in august is a no brainer. 9 out 10 would take the no august over 1 to 1.

Well which one is it. THe worst case fall back, or the least painful?

Having a season that end august 1st, is not going to give a gold rush mentality to rec fisherman. Holy fack man, march 1 or august is 6 months! and even may to august is 4 months! That is a poor argument IMO.

Agreed. Instead the line is "fill your wallets" that doesnt sit well with me.. Lets do the super unpopular thing. Have a rec quota and outffiters quota and a commie quota. THat would be good hey? then you guys can do whatever you want with yours? Cause im not seeing alot of sharing going on lately.

I agree the saw off will be mid august. However trying to work within thier ******** isnt sending the right message. I feel like i am saying the same thing over and over...

I will ask a few questions for the last time then i am done with this totally i think(hopefully). I think i have said everything i can and it seems like everyone just avoids the root of my concerns. I have said everything i have wanted to say and it is now becoming for circular and frustrating.

Why werent the rec guys asked about our thoughts on this?
How is a 1 and 1 and a slot thinking long term and the best thing for ALL of us.

To me this isnt gray at all. its very black and white. And not hard to answer, yet getting a real answer is like pulling teeth.

quotes-effort3.jpg
Not ganging up on Matt but I am with you Lorne we as Rec fisherman are getting screwed.

I don't know which line of BS is more pathetic:

1) The Guides got together not out of self interest, but to work out what was good for all rec anglers - Wow, guess the rest of us are just imbecilic children and we sure are lucky that the Guides saved us the trouble of having an open and inclusive forum to discuss what's good for all. Thanks guys!

or

2) Guides are just taxi drivers - it's just shameful that folks would insult themselves and their profession like that. I may disagree with what the Guides are proposing but I have a great deal of respect for the skill and professionalism they bring to their job and to their clients. You are far more than a taxi driver, don't sell yourself short just to try to sell a line that nobody's buying!

I didn't want to get to here but with the on going BS over this issue and a select few deciding what's good for the majority (yep, sounds familiar!) I have to say I think I agree with Lorne - maybe it is time to entertain a three way split and let the Guides/Outfitters do what they want with their own quota!

popcorn.gif

You guys are hilarious......

1/1 doesn't effect me at all (in the worst case).... 'cept maybe making the season a little longer..

It's open in 3 hours and 30 minutes... Good luck

I don't advocate to stop all exports but I do think that it is wrong to export our Canadian resource when not all Canadians needs have been meet. After all we have 70 to 75 % of the total Canadian TAC leaving the country to feed the restaurant trade outside of our country. Wrong on so many levels.
GLG

X2 - Exactly.

And of that 70-75% leaving the country, a very few individuals benefit financially.

I don't know which line of BS is more pathetic:

1) The Guides got together not out of self interest, but to work out what was good for all rec anglers - Wow, guess the rest of us are just imbecilic children and we sure are lucky that the Guides saved us the trouble of having an open and inclusive forum to discuss what's good for all. Thanks guys!

or

2) Guides are just taxi drivers - it's just shameful that folks would insult themselves and their profession like that. I may disagree with what the Guides are proposing but I have a great deal of respect for the skill and professionalism they bring to their job and to their clients. You are far more than a taxi driver, don't sell yourself short just to try to sell a line that nobody's buying!

I didn't want to get to here but with the on going BS over this issue and a select few deciding what's good for the majority (yep, sounds familiar!) I have to say I think I agree with Lorne - maybe it is time to entertain a three way split and let the Guides/Outfitters do what they want with their own quota!
Sorry I meant no disrespect by that. All I meant was that they take people out fishing. I have lots of friends that are guides and I know what they do and have to go though. It was just a comment that and the Rec fisherman and guides are all on the same side as far as halibut are concerned. Again I apologize to all guides.

Maybe the point some of you are overlooking is the fact its not just about guides or rec anglers getting there fish,maybe its about the hotel,tackle store or all the small businesses that need that extended season too break even. These are tough times in all our coastal communities. This is what we need to think about, not your getting more than me bs. Guides/lodges/rec fisherman drive these small towns. Lets look at the bigger picture. United We Stand, Divided We Dont Fish!

Its all about choices lads. We can choose to leave it at 1 and 2 with the net result ending the season in August. That would have the effect of closing down some good fishing opportunities for all anglers in August when most guys take their vacations.

The other choice is to look for regulatory options that spread out the daily catch of halibut so we can stay within our quota and extend our season to fit when most of us are on the water. The best choice is a 1 and 2 with slot limit on the second. The benefit is for an angler who can only fish for one day, they can keep any size fish they catch. If they are out for a longer trip at least they can keep another fish. When you look at the actual average size of fish caught on the Island from Area 25 south they are quite small, and likely under any slot limit we would need to put in place to reduce the effective poundage caught to stay within our TAC while keeping the season open long enough for most of us to enjoy the full season.

As Nog points out, the fall back is to go from the 1 and 2 and drop down to a 1 and 1 as the catch starts to add up to a total poundage that shuts us down early. This is a last choice, but it is a choice that at least retains some form of fishery through most of our regular season and has the least impact for all anglers.

This isn't about guides v tin boaters. It is about looking at choices that benefit us all. We have to find a way to have a somewhat normal season with the least amount of pain for us all. And as has been said before, we are all tin boaters. A guy who flys out from Edmonton and rents a ride is still a Canadian. He still has a right to those fish, just like any of us. Why are we treating that angler any differently because he can't afford the time or expense of buying a boat and dragging it out here.

Lorne this isn't a circular argument at all. We have a situation that needs to be dealt with now, not a month from now - and we need to find a way to work within the existing framework we have today. Simple, we have just over 1 million pounds to spread out over the season. If we continue to fish the 1 and 2 unrestricted, we will catch that and be off the water in August. We need to make choices that hopefully extend that time frame, or accept we are closed in August some time. As Holmes is coming to realize this is a hard cap number and the impacts of fishing it out early are significant not just for our economy, but for regular guys who want to come and fish in August/September. If we do nothing, we accept restricted opportunity. That simple.

It's easy to sit back and cast stones...what do you got? What's your suggestion for how we can get some form of fishery that lasts through our usual season (May to Sept)? And, be real...not some mubo jumbo about attacking the ITQ - that's not something we can solve in time for this season.

I'm not sure how a 1-1 would effect the season too much considering the way the DFO does their voodoo math with fly overs and such.

I think I'd lose more guests to Alaska if it was 1-1 than guests who I've explained to that halibut may be closed Aug 15th due to DFO BS...they have been fairly understanding, and haven't had anyone pull out of a trip. Just going to target Ling and Snapper more this time around as most guests like them almost as much as halibut.

Its all about choices lads. We can choose to leave it at 1 and 2 with the net result ending the season in August. That would have the effect of closing down some good fishing opportunities for all anglers in August when most guys take their vacations.

Its not about choice. Rec anglers werent given a choice or a voice in this. Where do you get "most guys take vacations in august"? I take my vacations as do most when i want and if the season is going to be shut down in mid august i will take it before. Granted thats not everyone, but thats most.

The other choice is to look for regulatory options that spread out the daily catch of halibut so we can stay within our quota and extend our season to fit when most of us are on the water. The best choice is a 1 and 2 with slot limit on the second. The benefit is for an angler who can only fish for one day, they can keep any size fish they catch. If they are out for a longer trip at least they can keep another fish. When you look at the actual average size of fish caught on the Island from Area 25 south they are quite small, and likely under any slot limit we would need to put in place to reduce the effective poundage caught to stay within our TAC while keeping the season open long enough for most of us to enjoy the full season.

Granted i dont know the numbers, but im sure we can reduce the poundage by the same if we started in may. And honestly to me thats not even good enough. I am not reducing sweet **** all. I thought we were trying to get more? not try to figure out what to do with less.

As Nog points out, the fall back is to go from the 1 and 2 and drop down to a 1 and 1 as the catch starts to add up to a total poundage that shuts us down early. This is a last choice, but it is a choice that at least retains some form of fishery through most of our regular season and has the least impact for all anglers.

I cant even respond to this anymore.

This isn't about guides v tin boaters. It is about looking at choices that benefit us all. We have to find a way to have a somewhat normal season with the least amount of pain for us all. And as has been said before, we are all tin boaters. A guy who flys out from Edmonton and rents a ride is still a Canadian. He still has a right to those fish, just like any of us. Why are we treating that angler any differently because he can't afford the time or expense of buying a boat and dragging it out here.

It wasnt meant to be until you guys decided not to include us in the discussion, and make recommendations behind our backs on behalf of us and try to pull the wool over eyes like this was the best thing for us.

Lorne this isn't a circular argument at all. We have a situation that needs to be dealt with now, not a month from now - and we need to find a way to work within the existing framework we have today. Simple, we have just over 1 million pounds to spread out over the season. If we continue to fish the 1 and 2 unrestricted, we will catch that and be off the water in August. We need to make choices that hopefully extend that time frame, or accept we are closed in August some time. As Holmes is coming to realize this is a hard cap number and the impacts of fishing it out early are significant not just for our economy, but for regular guys who want to come and fish in August/September. If we do nothing, we accept restricted opportunity. That simple.

THis is very circular i am saying the same thing on 3 different threads and am not getting any answers. In one statement you plead the "this is a long war" and 2 seconds later its a " we have to do it now" which one is it? We dont know forsure we will be done by august. That is specualtion. It will probably, however that can be debated. THe problem is this is so short sighted. You are willing to "possibly" extend the season 1 month, to basically throw away everything we have fought for over the last 2 years (and had a small win this year) by secumbing to the DFO scam of ITQ and basically saying " ok dfo we will make this work" without actually coming out and saying it. You say you are in it for everyone and in it for the long term yet your actions are the opposite. Setting a 1 and 1 and a slot is saying we are going to make this BS work. So if we can make it work why should we give them anything more? that will be thier thought process i think. And that will set a precedent that will be irreverisble IMO.

It's easy to sit back and cast stones...what do you got? What's your suggestion for how we can get some form of fishery that lasts through our usual season (May to Sept)? And, be real...not some mubo jumbo about attacking the ITQ - that's not something we can solve in time for this season.

You answered your own question. Start the season in may and go to september. But why do you care what i think now? You didnt care last week what we thought, why does it matter now? And i thought this was a long term fight? why is "this season" so important? Man, all i want is everyone to be happy. I want us to win so bad and i felt up until recently we were fighting the good fight. We were the lybia of the fisheries. Standing together and up rising making substantial change at a level that was good for all of us. We wrote 1000's of letters and emails. 1000's attended meetings everywhere to show support. We voted out an mp in the south island and almost got out a north island mp out. We had the facking PRIME MINSTER in campbell river to try and simmer things down. And now we are going to give up and give in. And you can tell me all you want that we are going to keep fighting. But by recommending these things proves otherwise. We might keep fighting, but they sure arent going to listen. And honestly i am not very motivated to fight anymore.

Please answer these questions as I am close to putting my head through drywall. I have asked them over 5 times and they have yet to be answered.

Why werent the rec guys asked about our thoughts on this? Its funny how the G/O is doing whats right for everyone, yet not everyone(actually no one, other then G/o's) were consulted. This was 100% a blind side IMO

Thanks for your time Searun.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Lorne, everyone's got their own ways to get involved and consult with their constituents. There are lots of clubs. They don't consult the public on their proposals. Get involved in the process, have a say within it. Democracy's are decided by those who show up and vote.

Not a lot of vodoo math there. Just look at the 2011 catch data DFO has. It is broken down by area, month, total number of fish sampled and catch estimates based on sampled landed fish. The DFO model is actually fairly good - yes it has flaws - what doesn't. The math is simply based on a projection of how many pounds of fish we caught each month, and what the average size of each fish caught was. Biggest fish caught are from north island to mid QCI. A slot limit reduces the average size of all fish caught and reduces the total fish caught (pounds) and therefore gets our overall catch reduced to the point we can avoid fishing out the current quota before the end of summer. Biggest hit for a slot limit would not be on south coast anglers, rather the north island and QCI lodges. This option has the least impact to overall rec anglers...unless you go to a 1 and 1 limit for the entire season - not a good option.

Back