West Coast Fishing Guide Association Meeting

Shut down the entire rec fishery for halibut effective imediatly. We will again realize we are all on the same playing field. No more squabling, butting heads No buying Quota etc. carry the unused/entire TAC over to next year, and monitor the numbers closer in the future to ensure we dont go into the overdraft for another straight year in a row. Similar to the reset button that was hit in the big problem mackeral years for Chinnok, complete closure. Then monitor our new 15% of the Total annual alowable catch a little better, rather than going into future numbers. When the rec sector can handle thier alotted piece of the pie without going over, it will be good to go. In the meantime, as a undived unified voice, continue to write letters and raise awareness regarding the whole issue of where the other %85 of the tac is and how it got there in the first place. That, to me is the issue here that people/we have gotten away from, and in turn have become divided in our stand. People buy canadian saltwater fishing licences, that entitles them to harvest all legal species that it says in the synopsis. I think it is un fair for the loads of people who cant get here to catch a halibut before it closes. If people think that the guides are for them selves and money only. SHUT IT DOWN! this is stupid how everyone is babling on arguing back and forth, **** give it a break. Put even an eighth of the energy back into what we did last year with all the letters and meetings, do you think that did not work at all ? We got to fish into Sept! after the long weekend for F-sakes allowing all of us to end the long weeken despite the rec sector had gone over our tac again. There is NO single answer that can have everybody be happy. Lets shut it down and be all on the same page. You want a halibut ? poach it in a complet closure ! see how many people stand behind you, see how loud your voice would be.

My 2 bits

Im in

Lorne

Perhaps it would be best if we sat down over a few beers to review the history of this fishery and how the catch limits have been set, fish counted etc. This ain't getting us any closer.

Name the place and time. I wont say another word till we meet :)

Lorne

[COLOR=#333333[COLOR=#333333]
[/COLOR]

And for the record, everything Nog posted about the Association is true. He accurately captured the sentiments in the room and our motivation for finding a reasonable way to try to get a fishery that ran most of the summer. NO ONE in that room is happy with the current situation. There isn't a person I know that supports the ITQ. We simply tried to find a short term solution for this season, while we work on longer term solutions for the future.
[/COLOR]We think our first choice is the way to go. Our members voted unanimously to support this.

We have been open and honest about what we are doing and why - I guess in retrospect we should have just clammed up and gone underground - it would be a lot less painful.

Let me see if I have this right.
A small group of guides, called west coast guides association got togther and have tried to figure out a way that they can continue to take their clients out fishing after the regular recreational quota allotement is used up.

I order to do this they want to place size restrictions and or 1/1 fish limits on ALL recreational anglers.

I will let the readers of this board decide if this is Self- Serving to a small group of guides that were at this meeting.

If I was paying for a charter in the future, I would definately pay attention to where I was throwing my cash.

"hence the term divide and concur"
Please tell me that that is a miss type, seeing as Concur means to agree, which wouldn't fit this at all.
Conquer, though is what I believe you were going for.

1 an 1 and lease the remainder to fishing commercials for just less then market price.
Use the money to buy quota from the slipper skippers.
Do this until the slippers skippers are gone then we share the harvest with the real commercials.
Much long term pain to us but the long term benefit would be we could control the resource.
Just throwing it out there for comment.
GLG

Its all about choices lads. We can choose to leave it at 1 and 2 with the net result ending the season in August. That would have the effect of closing down some good fishing opportunities for all anglers in August when most guys take their vacations.

The other choice is to look for regulatory options that spread out the daily catch of halibut so we can stay within our quota and extend our season to fit when most of us are on the water. The best choice is a 1 and 2 with slot limit on the second. The benefit is for an angler who can only fish for one day, they can keep any size fish they catch. If they are out for a longer trip at least they can keep another fish. When you look at the actual average size of fish caught on the Island from Area 25 south they are quite small, and likely under any slot limit we would need to put in place to reduce the effective poundage caught to stay within our TAC while keeping the season open long enough for most of us to enjoy the full season.

As Nog points out, the fall back is to go from the 1 and 2 and drop down to a 1 and 1 as the catch starts to add up to a total poundage that shuts us down early. This is a last choice, but it is a choice that at least retains some form of fishery through most of our regular season and has the least impact for all anglers.

This isn't about guides v tin boaters. It is about looking at choices that benefit us all. We have to find a way to have a somewhat normal season with the least amount of pain for us all. And as has been said before, we are all tin boaters. A guy who flys out from Edmonton and rents a ride is still a Canadian. He still has a right to those fish, just like any of us. Why are we treating that angler any differently because he can't afford the time or expense of buying a boat and dragging it out here.

Lorne this isn't a circular argument at all. We have a situation that needs to be dealt with now, not a month from now - and we need to find a way to work within the existing framework we have today. Simple, we have just over 1 million pounds to spread out over the season. If we continue to fish the 1 and 2 unrestricted, we will catch that and be off the water in August. We need to make choices that hopefully extend that time frame, or accept we are closed in August some time. As Holmes is coming to realize this is a hard cap number and the impacts of fishing it out early are significant not just for our economy, but for regular guys who want to come and fish in August/September. If we do nothing, we accept restricted opportunity. That simple.

It's easy to sit back and cast stones...what do you got? What's your suggestion for how we can get some form of fishery that lasts through our usual season (May to Sept)? And, be real...not some mubo jumbo about attacking the ITQ - that's not something we can solve in time for this season.

March 5, 2012
Ms. Susan Farlinger
Regional Director General
Fisheries and Oceans Canada – Pacific Region
The SFAB Executive Committee is pleased to endorse the recommendation of its Halibut Working Group that effective April 1 the Department of Fisheries and Oceans implement by condition of licence a “normal and under” possession policy in which recreational anglers for the remainder of the 2012 fishing will be allowed to retain one halibut a day, and two in total possession away from their place of residence, but with one of these fish being subject to a maximum size restriction of 83 cm. which translates to 15 lbs in round weight and 11.25 lbs in dressed weight.
The Executive Committee notes that this recommendation came forward following a series of electronic meetings with DFO staff in which productive dialogue was greatly assisted by an analysis of Draft Regulatory Tools for Recreational Halibut Management prepared by Pacific Region of the Department of Fisheries and Oceans. This document provided the basis upon which the SFAB members of the working group reached the conclusion that the “normal and under” approach provided the best chance for a full season in which predictable opportunity was available to all participants in the fishery on a coast-wide basis, although at a reduced level.

FROM THE SFAB EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE

Anyone Happy..?
I know I am not.

So, I'm going to fly out from Alberta, rent accomedations, buy meals, a licence and rent a ride for 2 Hali's, one that can only weigh 15lbs!
If I am stupid enough to fork out all that cash, and my first fish happens to be 40lbs say, I just keep releasing fish until I get one small enough?
$18.00 a lb. at the local Patterson group grocery store indeed looks like a much better deal.

I wonder if fish4 all does or has done any hunting. If so lets put a price of $5.50 a pound on his next deer, elk or moose and send it off to JP just so he can better grasp the feeling.

Is this for real? If so this is total bullshyte in my opinion, for many of the reasons stated on other related posts :mad:.

Where was the discussion of this at local SFAB meetings where the general public/sport fisherman can attend and provide their input? There has been no such meeting on the Victoria area on this. How did this decision get made with out public consultation with the sportfishing community???

March 5, 2012
Ms. Susan Farlinger
Regional Director General
Fisheries and Oceans Canada – Pacific Region
The SFAB Executive Committee is pleased to endorse the recommendation of its Halibut Working Group that effective April 1 the Department of Fisheries and Oceans implement by condition of licence a “normal and under” possession policy in which recreational anglers for the remainder of the 2012 fishing will be allowed to retain one halibut a day, and two in total possession away from their place of residence, but with one of these fish being subject to a maximum size restriction of 83 cm. which translates to 15 lbs in round weight and 11.25 lbs in dressed weight.
The Executive Committee notes that this recommendation came forward following a series of electronic meetings with DFO staff in which productive dialogue was greatly assisted by an analysis of Draft Regulatory Tools for Recreational Halibut Management prepared by Pacific Region of the Department of Fisheries and Oceans. This document provided the basis upon which the SFAB members of the working group reached the conclusion that the “normal and under” approach provided the best chance for a full season in which predictable opportunity was available to all participants in the fishery on a coast-wide basis, although at a reduced level.

FROM THE SFAB EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE

Anyone Happy..?
I know I am not.

Relax everybody. Don't get your panties in a knot.

It won't happen. They can't enforce the rules that they already have in place, nevermind bringing in new ones.

If they had just left it closed til May the quota would have benifitted everyone coastwide instead of just the Victoria fleet but c'esta vie.

there will be no ping pong paddles in my boat....

Shawn, the vast majority of sport caught halibut in BC is caught along WCVI and the north coast. The halibut taken on southern VI in March and April is but a drop in the bucket...DFO has the figures...it is nothing. However with all the restrictions in place down here on area 19/20 the March and April halibut fishery is very important for both the average guy and local charter operators.

Fishtofino .........
contrary to what you say ....... they CAN , DO and MAY change rules, bag limits, restrictions and regulations any time ........

Unfortunately it is up to the angler to check up to date regulation changes.

HT

Shawn, the vast majority of sport caught halibut in BC is caught along WCVI and the north coast. The halibut taken on southern VI in March and April is but a drop in the bucket...DFO has the figures...it is nothing. However with all the restrictions in place down here on area 19/20 the March and April halibut fishery is very important for both the average guy and local charter operators.

Yes Rollie I understand and agree with you. I'm just glad to be able to fish now and hopefully in September.

Yes, I know they may impose in season changes to the regs, which are posted at our post office BUT my point is, that the DFO us so gutted they can't enforce the rules properly as it us
Fishtofino .........
contrary to what you say ....... they CAN , DO and MAY change rules, bag limits, restrictions and regulations any time ........

Unfortunately it is up to the angler to check up to date regulation changes.

HT

WCGA has kinda screwed the pooch two years in a row in my opinion. Read threw this and a lot of what those involved said "wouldn't happen" happened this year.

Back