Wasp traps recomendation

Corey_lax

Crew Member
We got a ton of wasps this year. What’s your go to technique for trapping them? Buy the bags or a DIY trap?

Attachments

• IMG_4507.jpeg
    IMG_4507.jpeg
    212 KB · Views: 58
I’ll pick up some bags tomorrow. Probably should have done this in spring before the queen gets down to business but this is our first full year at this place so didn’t know it was going to be an issue

I’ll pick up some bags tomorrow. Probably should have done this in spring before the queen gets down to business but this is our first full year at this place so didn’t know it was going to be an issue
Great time right now

We used 2 litre pop bottles to make DIY traps at our trailer on the lake. We’d cut the top off about an inch below where it reaches full diameter, fill the bottom with about a cup of beer or pop, put a rock or something in the bottom that sticks out of the liquid and put a piece of fish or meat on top of the rock. Then invert the cut off top and stick it in the bottle. You can put a piece of tape around the joint to secure it.
Some years we couldn’t even eat outside and these traps would catch hundreds of wasps. We’d have to empty and re-bait it every day.

We used 2 litre pop bottles to make DIY traps at our trailer on the lake. We’d cut the top off about an inch below where it reaches full diameter, fill the bottom with about a cup of beer or pop, put a rock or something in the bottom that sticks out of the liquid and put a piece of fish or meat on top of the rock. Then invert the cut off top and stick it in the bottle. You can put a piece of tape around the joint to secure it.
Some years we couldn’t even eat outside and these traps would catch hundreds of wasps. We’d have to empty and re-bait it every day.
I get bears passing by daily so I think I'll get even more if I put some fish out haha. But might be worth a try.

Buy the bags. With the dry spell they seem to be still in full force. I did the bags mid August and the numbers are stil crazy. Couldn't clean a salmon in the backyard with 300 wasps flying into me. Now things are more manageable.

I get bears passing by daily so I think I'll get even more if I put some fish out haha. But might be worth a try.
I’m talking about a very small piece of fish or meat but that is a consideration as are unleashed dogs. It’s best not to leave it on the ground. I had never seen the bag traps before this thread but they look easy and effective.

Put a cup of gasoline in a two litre pop bottle with a few hunks of fish and hang bottle from a branch bees go in looking for protein get dopey from gas and fall in and drown
No animals get the bottle because it’s in the tree
No bees to bother you bottle is usually half full of bees by days end
Can of tuna with holes in the top will attract them away from common area

Used to buy the bags but got sick of paying for them.... then i got this from canadian tire for the price of one "rescue" brand trap. It's reusable and works awesome. A little orange juice and a piece of fruit and it catches just as many.

Attachments

• 16935963755497297611634189100691.jpg
    16935963755497297611634189100691.jpg
    217.5 KB · Views: 90
We did one of the yellow bags at my kids bday at the park. The thing was packed full within an hour. Did a pretty good job of keeping them at bay. Especially for such a large open space. Hung it in a tree right above where I was frying chicken.

Back