Wash down pump install in Arima

Jonathan H

I have a Arima 17 Seachaser and I am contemplating installing a wash down pump. Has anyone installed one in their Arima? Any suggestions or tips I would appreciate....I don't want to drill a hole in the wrong area, if you know what I mean:)

I have a Arima 17 Seachaser and I am contemplating installing a wash down pump. Has anyone installed one in their Arima? Any suggestions or tips I would appreciate....I don't want to drill a hole in the wrong area, if you know what I mean:)
2BBFE76E-B888-479A-AE4D-D0DE75654DB3.jpeg295AE968-0780-4F59-BDA7-894F9C4D8B1A.jpegE37EF6CB-257C-4831-B215-2A592054A74B.jpegPrevious owner installed this on my 17 SC I like it tucks away nice

I had one in my Fiberform I/O boat. thru hull below the engine, using a screened bronze pick up. I screwed a shut off valve into the bronze thru hull fitting. Later, after the motor died in it I bought a replacement, and installed and wired up the same way. To my horror, when operated, it made bubbles! thought about it and turned the pump part around 180 degrees and all was good after that.

Last edited:
I wonder if installing a check valve in the suction would be a good idea? I like how you ran the hose through the splashwell.

I wonder if installing a check valve in the suction would be a good idea? I like how you ran the hose through the splashwell.
I can’t take credit for it the previous owner did that and ya i agree less holes in the hull the better. Only thing I’ve done was replace the pump . Not sure about a check valve in the suction. What’s your thoughts for why to add it? It has a strainer on the inlet of hose and inlet of pump. The thing I will do differently now is flush the pump with fresh water after use of raw water as that’s what killed the last pump it got very corroded

I put a check value on mine right at the end of the suction line. My hose goes out a hole in the transom and down, not a thru hull. I put it on because I trailer my boat and didn't like the dry starts for the pump. As a side note I also ran a little plumbers antifreeze though the system in the winter when not using the boat.

My boat came with a raw saltwater wash down system installed by the previous owner. I agree with Sea Chaser, the fewer holes in the bottom of the hull the better. We decommissioned ours by removing the bronze seacock and replacing it with a bronze screw on cap on the bronze through hull. We left everything in place so that if some future owner were to want it, it would be an easy matter to remove the cap and reinstall the seacock. We came to the conclusion that the boat does not need every bell and whistle possible, especially ones that can sink the boat if something were to fail. Furthermore, we have fresh water wash down available right at our marina slip, and I found spraying saltwater around the boat was just increasing the rate of general corrosion. Fresh water is better.

Last edited:
Back