Walters Cove enough Boat?

Bogiedog

Thinking of a visit in the next couple of years. Wondering if my boat is enough to handle the water in that area. I have a 18' aluminum topless with a Yamaha 115 and a 9.9 trolling motor. She is extra wide with tall freeboard. Mostly flat bottom with a slight V. Fished Nootka and Barklay several times without issue. I don't want to get up there and wonder what the hell am I doing here??

Thanks!

Salmon fishing is close at Spring Isl. Youll have to poke outside Lookout Isl for bottom fish though. Youll be fine as long as you pick your days. Have you been outside with you boat at Nootka or Barkley ?

We took a trip there in our previous boat - an open 16' Skookum Sealer [like the old Oak Bay rental boats], which we camped aboard. We fished around Spring Island, explored up thru the Bunsby's to Acous Peninsula and the south [protected] side of the Brooks. Some amazing fishing - schools of 10-14 lb coho 6 ft under the boat, a couple of 20+ lb spring, a 75 lb halibut. And 9 bears in 8 days.

Only issue was last night of the trip was the first major southeaster of the late summer - anchored in a tiny cove near Surprise Island with 50-60 knot gusts blowing smoke off the top of the whitecaps inside this little cove 100 m across. We lost most of a day waiting out the aftermath. All good if you pick your weather. If you're comfortable with deciding when to go outside at Nootka and Barkley, you should be fine.

Back