ISO North Island boat rental

Toyofan_68

Does anyone know of a place to get a multi day rental boat set up for ocean fishing? For many years we have rented out of Port Alberni but the option no longer exists (out of the rental business). I am looking for the following:
- 20-22’ with offshore platform
- aluminum welded (like North River)
- fully enclosed Bimini top and pass through cabin
- 115-130hp
- 9.9-15hp kicker (throttle and steering control from captains chair)
- 2 electric downriggers (nice to have a 3rd for spare)
- downrigger repair kits, rod holders, release clips, etc
- at least five 20lb cannon balks
- all required safety gear, dock bumpers, tie up ropes
- electronics (radar not required)
- wash down hose
- trailer (we will trailer boat to Coal Harbour to fish Quatsino Sound)
- anchor system for bottom fishing a bonus but not required

We bring extra downrigger gear as well - clips, snubbers, cannon ball, etc as well as all fishing gear.
Thanks

I'm curious what you paid in Port Alberni to rent a boat as you described

Only one I know that far north of is outta Nootka Sound, through Nootka Marine Adventures. Check their website. I don’t know of any boat rentals in Quatsino. Just hire a charter. You’ll get a bigger boat and they’ll know the area well.

Only one I know that far north of is outta Nootka Sound, through Nootka Marine Adventures. Check their website. I don’t know of any boat rentals in Quatsino. Just hire a charter. You’ll get a bigger boat and they’ll know the area well.
We like to fish 4 am to 10 pm and do our own guiding. No charter allows for that much fishing time.

Hardcore.
I was like that in my younger days. Come in at dusk eat drink get up at dawn out again.
Good times but always needed a rest after my week of holidays.
I believe liability and insurance/ cost issues has closed up quite a few of these. Some lodges in the north coast still offer u-drive tinnies but that will be a lot more than you are a custom to. Maybe still some more affordable lodge u-drive options north of Campbell to Hardy area on the islands? There use to be years ago.

I believe liability and insurance/ cost issues has closed up quite a few of these. Some lodges in the north coast still offer u-drive tinnies but that will be a lot more than you are a custom to. Maybe still some more affordable lodge u-drive options north of Campbell to Hardy area on the islands? There use to be years ago.
Agreed. Bareboat charter/rental insurance is almost impossible to get. I looked into it last year and looked at one of the AIRBNB boat rental sites a friend sent me this morning and couldn't find anything for Canada. Best to post a wanted advertisement online and find someone crazy enough to rent to you without insurance.

Agreed. Bareboat charter/rental insurance is almost impossible to get. I looked into it last year and looked at one of the AIRBNB boat rental sites a friend sent me this morning and couldn't find anything for Canada. Best to post a wanted advertisement online and find someone crazy enough to rent to you without insurance.
Sad times we live in. No wonder the younger group is not there. They get squeezed out by cost and or regulations. Lot more fun when I was young. Too bad, soon it will be like England only the wealthy will be able to fish.

We like to fish 4 am to 10 pm and do our own guiding. No charter allows for that much fishing time.
Ewww. Fortunately If you’re fishing Quatsino, you don’t need to put in a 18hr day to get your fish. Best bet is call around to some lodges and ask but I think you may need to go guided or change locale if you wanna DIY. The guides are great up there and they have bigger boats which will make more productive areas more accessible.

Does anyone know of a place to get a multi day rental boat set up for ocean fishing? For many years we have rented out of Port Alberni but the option no longer exists (out of the rental business). I am looking for the following:
- 20-22’ with offshore platform
- aluminum welded (like North River)
- fully enclosed Bimini top and pass through cabin
- 115-130hp
- 9.9-15hp kicker (throttle and steering control from captains chair)
- 2 electric downriggers (nice to have a 3rd for spare)
- downrigger repair kits, rod holders, release clips, etc
- at least five 20lb cannon balks
- all required safety gear, dock bumpers, tie up ropes
- electronics (radar not required)
- wash down hose
- trailer (we will trailer boat to Coal Harbour to fish Quatsino Sound)
- anchor system for bottom fishing a bonus but not required

We bring extra downrigger gear as well - clips, snubbers, cannon ball, etc as well as all fishing gear.
Thanks
Gotta ask.
After all these prerequisites, why do you not need/care about radar?

Back