Volvo Outdrive Maintenance

Thanks for posting a pic of an alignment tool, DT.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was thinking a used engine stand might make a good jig. Or maybe that's over kill.

I guess the question should have been 'which volvo drive do you have on your boat?

If you look at the chart provided,
The drives in the first 4 rows do not have gimbal bearings and do not get aligned with an alignment bar.
From the SX-S on for the last two lines of drives do get aligned with an alignment bar.

This is for informational purposes only! Look at the chart, find your drive, then you decide if you would like to use the information. So yes, really, an alignment bar on a Volvo.

http://s123.photobucket.com/albums/o291/DonSind/?action=view&current=VolvoDriveChart.jpg

The chart can be downloaded here if you wish - . http://www.4shared.com/office/FLuM0m...e_Chart_1.html

One problem is that I don't know if the leg takes regular oil or synthetic. Apparently the synthetic smells kinda harsh I've been told.

I just used regular oil in mine Red seems to be Ok.

The problem is that I've heard that there can be slippage if you don't use the correct oil to go with bearings. Apparently the earlier 290's came with regular oil and the later ones (and rebuilt ones) came with synthetic.

I don't know what kind is in the leg now, but what's in there now works fine so I'm hoping to put back whatever type is in there now ...if I can tell by smelling that is.

I'm told the regular oil to use is straight 30w.

I've been studying the outdrive removal and it's starting to make sense. I was surpised not to find a Sierra kit with both bellows and the s tube for my 290; you buy them separatly from what I gather and I have all the numbers to do that.

Sounds like regular oil should work either way so that's what I'll use and change every year. Thanks for that guys.

I wonder if the S Hose ought to be change every time along with the both belows?

definatlly the big bellows if you have any barnacle or mussel growth around your leg REALLY inspect it as the lifting and lowering the leg will sometime punch a pin hole into them if there is ANY rust or even water come out from the bellows replace first warning signs but hell for 35 bucks do it anyways you never know....

and while your at it replace your racor fuel filter... its that time of the year

I'll change out both bellows, but should I automatically change the S water hose too? As I mentioned before, the boat is a trailer queen so barnacles are not an issue, and changing out the bellows every other year may not be necessary.

Now for the gimble bearing. Does that puppy need to come out for greasing?

Changing all the filters and oil is yearly maintenance.

Red I changed all the hoses and gaskets and anything else just so I had a starting spot and will now have piece of mind knowing that everything is good to go.

Red there should be a fitting right at the back of the transom smack dap in the middle of it up high what I did (while the engine was out) "sorry" was to put a fitting on there attached to a hose with a grease nipple basically a extension on that so its a quick and easy access it it sits right beside the carb and yes evry year it gets a squirt along with all fittings.

As for the s water hose if it isnt broke leave it as it doesnt bend or torque at all and its a REAL ***** to get out I did it when the engine was out WAY easier then.

good luck wolf

There's a zerk fitting on the bell housing inside the boat. Does this grease the gimble bearing? The manual says to grease it, but doesn't say what for. So that's why I was wondering how do you grease the gimble? Or do you even need to grease the gimble? Maybe it's a sealed bearing? Or do you take it out and grease it? Or maybe there's a grease fitting I will see when I take the drive off? Just wondering what's called for or not regarding the gimble bearing. I know that changing the bellows regularly should avoid water ever getting inside and damaging the gimble bearing. How or when to grease it is what I need to learn because I've never owned an i/o before now.

Same with the U-joints. I would think there's a zerk fitting (like on a car) that I will see when I get the drive removed.

There's a zerk fitting on the bell housing inside the boat. Does this grease the gimble bearing? The manual says to grease it, but doesn't say what for. So that's why I was wondering how do you grease the gimble? Or do you even need to grease the gimble? Maybe it's a sealed bearing? Or do you take it out and grease it? Or maybe there's a grease fitting I will see when I take the drive off? Just wondering what's called for or not regarding the gimble bearing. I know that changing the bellows regularly should avoid water ever getting inside and damaging the gimble bearing. How or when to grease it is what I need to learn because I've never owned an i/o before now.

Same with the U-joints. I would think there's a zerk fitting (like on a car) that I will see when I get the drive removed.

Red- First off, lets be clear, what model of leg do you have? I think by what youre telling us is that its a 270? If that is the case then you dont have a gimball bearing, you have an intermediate bearing. THe grease nipple you mention above will grease these bearings but dont put too much into it as it can blow out the seal. A couple pumps should be fine. If you had to change these bearings you would have to pull your engine as they come out from inside the flywheel housing. Early models had a single bearing which if I remember correctly, could be taken out from the leg end without removing the engine, however with the later version, one comes out from the back and one comes out from the front. Its something to that effect anyway. Heres the good news: if and when they give you trouble, you will start hearing a growling noise. It is a very distinct noise and you will hear it long before it leaves you high and dry. THese bearings generally last a long time providing you check your u joint bellows from time to time for water/ moisture, and grease it once in a while. There are different variations, some with snap rings at different locations. Make sure you have the proper manual for your model. And like I said, be careful where you take advice from, Ive seen alot of really bad advice given on this forum and dont want to see anyone get burned. Dave.

It's a 290a leg.

I gave the zerk on the bell housing inside the boat just a few pumps (for the first time last week and I've had the boat a year now), not wanting to pump too much for the reason you mentioned, seals. The manual I have makes no mention of how much grease to pump in or where the grease is actually going. It just say to grease it every 100 hours.

I have not seen a manual specifically for my 290.

I have no intention of replacing any bearings. I'm just wondering what ought to be greased when the out drive is removed to replace the bellows. In other words, before I reinstall the drive, are there any other maintenance tasks to be done in there?

Thanks so much for the feedback, guys.

This is exactly what it is, a fishing forum. There are questions asked and questions answered. When you ask for advice that is exactly what you will get. What it is worth is just what you pay for it. I am not trying to put anybody down but really what do you expect on a forum?
LaughingSmiley1.gif
HS1-1.gif

Red- First off, lets be clear, what model of leg do you have? I think by what youre telling us is that its a 270? If that is the case then you dont have a gimball bearing, you have an intermediate bearing. THe grease nipple you mention above will grease these bearings but dont put too much into it as it can blow out the seal. A couple pumps should be fine. If you had to change these bearings you would have to pull your engine as they come out from inside the flywheel housing. Early models had a single bearing which if I remember correctly, could be taken out from the leg end without removing the engine, however with the later version, one comes out from the back and one comes out from the front. Its something to that effect anyway. Heres the good news: if and when they give you trouble, you will start hearing a growling noise. It is a very distinct noise and you will hear it long before it leaves you high and dry. THese bearings generally last a long time providing you check your u joint bellows from time to time for water/ moisture, and grease it once in a while. There are different variations, some with snap rings at different locations. Make sure you have the proper manual for your model. And like I said, be careful where you take advice from, Ive seen alot of really bad advice given on this forum and dont want to see anyone get burned. Dave.

Attachments

• LaughingSmiley[1].jpg
    LaughingSmiley[1].jpg
    1.5 KB · Views: 48
I wonder how a motorcycle jack would work for removing the out drive?

I'm sure the reinstall will be harder than taking it off.

Attachments

• DSCN0381.jpg
    DSCN0381.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 65
  • DSCN0373.jpg
    DSCN0373.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 69
  • DSCN0386.jpg
    DSCN0386.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 64
  • DSCN0389.jpg
    DSCN0389.jpg