Virgin Boat Launch

What did you think of it? How'd it handle/what you think of the size etc?
So far it’s great , hit some good size swells On the other side of Gabriola and handled them great at 1/2 throttle, really easy boat to maneuver when docking it too, mind you I went real slow as there was other boats leaving the dock
Happy we went with the 622 over the 542 as in most cases size makes a difference lol
if I had the $$ and more experience I would have gone with the EX24 for the extra Cuddy room, but also a lot more boat to trailer too.
My wife really likes the walk around to gain access to the bow, and I love the ability to see everything around you the sight lines are great.
Having all the controls for the main and kicker tied together up front is a great option, as well and loading the boat during low tide was a simple task
All in all , Very Happy, wish it was summer
Just finished waxing it, Now I need a shelter to store it in

So far it’s great , hit some good size swells On the other side of Gabriola and handled them great at 1/2 throttle, really easy boat to maneuver when docking it too, mind you I went real slow as there was other boats leaving the dock
Happy we went with the 622 over the 542 as in most cases size makes a difference lol
if I had the $$ and more experience I would have gone with the EX24 for the extra Cuddy room, but also a lot more boat to trailer too.
My wife really likes the walk around to gain access to the bow, and I love the ability to see everything around you the sight lines are great.
Having all the controls for the main and kicker tied together up front is a great option, as well and loading the boat during low tide was a simple task
All in all , Very Happy, wish it was summer
Just finished waxing it, Now I need a shelter to store it in
Glad to hear!

STERN PLUG!!!!

There, I capitalized it for you. (Spoken like a guy who’s left his out a time or two)
As a newb I still hate to admit it, but I have done this twice now out of about 8-10 total launches.

First time I noticed while the boat was still on the trailer, so easy fix. Second time I noticed when I was walking down the launch after parking the truck. Saw water shooting out the side the boat. Dropped a good *F* bomb, Had to go waste deep to put the plug in and then wait for the pump to get out the rest of the water. (thankfully it was a nice warm day and I didn't mind getting wet).

I will never forget again, ever. Until I forget again.

installed the plug already and have 5 spares in the boat, just in case
Gonna do Brechin, then head out around the outside of Gabriola to Galiano, then if all looks good, head back over to Ballenas, nervous about the “whisky gulf “area, don’t want to get shot out of the water.
I figured if I go to the outside of five finger island , keep close to Lantzville then go between Ada & Winchelsea and head towards Ballenas, putt around there on the kicker for awhile , I need to put some hours on both motors
Thoughts ? Thanks again for all the help here
I was putting the plug in the boat at the launch, now I do it at home as part of my "pre-trip". Load the down riggers, hook up the sounder, put in the plug, etc.

Something that makes things much easier is to put your tail gate down, way easier to see what’s going on behind you. Just make sure the trailer post won’t contact on real tight turns, but it shouldn’t and you shouldn’t have to be cranking super sharp turns any how. This is a huge help.

Unless you have a backup camera :)

Looks great! As an aside, have you thought about raising the winch? It looks like you have to bend down a bit to turn the crank.

Looks great! As an aside, have you thought about raising the winch? It looks like you have to bend down a bit to turn the crank.
Your actually correct, it should be raised up, never gave it much thought till you mentioned it, and wouldn’t be hard to do, thanks
Gonna put that on my list to, along with battery maintainers, inverter, 2nd gps/chart plotter, and then I need rods, reels weights and tackle.
This boating is more expensive then my years of drag racing lol

Any thoughts on reels and rods , way too confusing, got the Scotty 6102s down riggers, thinking of Luhr Jensen legacy, or Islander MR2 reels, but have no idea on rods or other gear to get started.
Last time I fished it was a Pete’s wooded reel and a green hoochie, lol

Any thoughts on reels and rods , way too confusing, got the Scotty 6102s down riggers, thinking of Luhr Jensen legacy, or Islander MR2 reels, but have no idea on rods or other gear to get started.
Last time I fished it was a Pete’s wooded reel and a green hoochie, lol

My recommendation is to start off with a couple simple reels such as a Shimano 4000 gt and pair it with a shimano Technium 10’6” rod and run that for a couple of years.that combo will cost you less than a single Islander and it will more than accomplish the same purpose. down the road when you feel like upgrading, upgrade the reels, keep them on board as backups for when your new islanders crap out on your annual west coast trip....three different trips now actually...but i digress...but keep the technium rods. they are bullet proof

Your actually correct, it should be raised up, never gave it much thought till you mentioned it, and wouldn’t be hard to do, thanks
Gonna put that on my list to, along with battery maintainers, inverter, 2nd gps/chart plotter, and then I need rods, reels weights and tackle.
This boating is more expensive then my years of drag racing lol
Haven't seen the car cruising around lately. Stored for winter? Will also check what rods and reels are laying around. might be able to help you get set up quickly.

D

Haven't seen the car cruising around lately. Stored for winter? Will also check what rods and reels are laying around. might be able to help you get set up quickly.

D
Yea she’s away for winter , need a new tranny, took out high gear , definitely appreciate your help, no problem paying for it too

Attachments

• 8E683E72-C7A4-4888-BDF6-52823392FF3A.jpeg
    8E683E72-C7A4-4888-BDF6-52823392FF3A.jpeg
    172.9 KB · Views: 60
Back