Powell River to Saltery Bay Launch and Parking

triplenickel

So we're going to join some family on their big boat in Hotham Sound for a week at the end of the month. I don't want to get trapped by weather in my little boat on the return trip to Campbell River, gotta leave for work the day after returning. So I'm thinking catch the ferry from Comox to Powell River then launch from somewhere on that side and motor the rest of the way. What I'm looking for is some advice regarding a launch and secure parking for the time we'll be away. It's just a 19' boat so launch spot isn't too critical, mostly curious about security and convenience. Of course if any locals had any tips regarding fishing or anything else I'd be all ears. Thanks

Saltery Bay Provincial picnic site has a okay launch but the parking is not secure with that being said it is Powell River and it's a pretty safe place. Don't leave anything in your truck and I'm sure it would be fine. I see lots of vehicles parking over night in that lot. It's free to launch and park. I camp next door all the time.
You can launch in town and use our main marina It's $5 a day parking but again it's not secure parking but it's safe well lite and across from the ferry so lots of people around.
I know your concerned on the weather and we have had some winds lately but it's not a bad run from CR come through bakers passage then follow the shore passed Powell River to Scotch Fir and buzz into Hotham. I don't fish up that way much so I'm not good for tips. I know I see local boats out at Scotch Fir Point a lot when I'm camping.

Those are your only 2 options for launching.

Awesome, thanks for the info. When you say "You can launch in town and use our main marina", I assume that means Powell River? Sorry pretty ignorant to the are and size of communities on the map.

Yep he's referring to Westview Marina. You are unlikely to have any issues leaving you vehicle and trailer there. There is one more option which is Hummingbird Cove has a launch. Though private it is located just north of the Saltery Bay ferry and would be closer to Hotham Sound than Westview would.

So we're going to join some family on their big boat in Hotham Sound for a week at the end of the month.
The head of Hotham Sound above Elephant Point & Harmony Islands is an RCA. There have been fish caught recently around Killam Bay & Vancouver Bay.

Back