Noobie buying a boat

plunk

Hi all,

New here, so forgive my naievity. I'm very seriously considering buying a brand new boat, for use around Victoria and Barkley sound. I'd like to fish, explore, take the family out. I'll stick to fair weather for now, sticking inshore and among the islands and inlets. Like I said I'm new...so I'll be learning a lot about boating, and boat ownership. I'm pretty committed to it one way or another. I've been scouring all the regular spots for used boats...and they seem expensive and I really don't want a project or anyone else's problems. This has lead me to consider buying new. Which is REALLY expensive. I'm looking at a Kingfisher Falcon 18, in top spot. Faves on the forum in the same size seem to be SS and Weldcraft...but I think I have to draw the dollar line somewhere. I also looked at Katanacraft 18 (storm...I think)....opinion of Katanacraft seems low in the forum.

What I want to know is any tips on purchasing through a dealership? Is negotiating price a thing that should be done? I can afford it but SHOULD I afford it?

Got the quote today and its a good $10k over what I was feeling comfortable with (went for the better kicker...the downriggers...the better seats and on and on). Any advice for a keen noobie is appreciated.

Cheers

New boats, especially new aluminium boats, are very expensive and they will only get more expensive the longer you wait. Theyll last you a lifetime if you look after them, so an extra 10k or whatever may seem like a lot but in reality its worth paying that extra amount if its a boat you can be happy with for a long time. 10k doesnt go as far as you might think in the aluminum boat world btw.

If youre brand new to boating Id say you should get a cheap piece of **** fiberglass, but something with reliable power, to learn your lessons with. You may find that you want something different than you thought you wanted after operating a boat for a season. At the very least hire a guide or go out on a buddys boat and get a feel for things in terms of operating the boat, running the fishing gear, docking, etc.

If youre purchasing through a dealership/broker, shop around, and definitely see if theres any wiggle room on price. Most places would probably rather move inventory at a bit cheaper pricepoint than have it sit in the lot waiting for someone to pay full sticker price.

If youre dead set on buying a new tinny right off the bat with no boating experience, thats a pretty ballsy move. I hope you really know what you want. A lot of guys get "2footitis" shortly after running their boat for a while. Of course there are tradeoffs with going bigger as well, you need a bigger mooring slip, or a bigger truck and trailer, and a thicker wallet at the gas station.

If you have a budget and an idea of what you want, Im sure some of the guys here will have some input for you.

Hi all,

New here, so forgive my naievity. I'm very seriously considering buying a brand new boat, for use around Victoria and Barkley sound. I'd like to fish, explore, take the family out. I'll stick to fair weather for now, sticking inshore and among the islands and inlets. Like I said I'm new...so I'll be learning a lot about boating, and boat ownership. I'm pretty committed to it one way or another. I've been scouring all the regular spots for used boats...and they seem expensive and I really don't want a project or anyone else's problems. This has lead me to consider buying new. Which is REALLY expensive. I'm looking at a Kingfisher Falcon 18, in top spot. Faves on the forum in the same size seem to be SS and Weldcraft...but I think I have to draw the dollar line somewhere. I also looked at Katanacraft 18 (storm...I think)....opinion of Katanacraft seems low in the forum.

What I want to know is any tips on purchasing through a dealership? Is negotiating price a thing that should be done? I can afford it but SHOULD I afford it?

Got the quote today and its a good $10k over what I was feeling comfortable with (went for the better kicker...the downriggers...the better seats and on and on). Any advice for a keen noobie is appreciated.

Cheers
18 or 20 feet is a good size for fishing and day-long family outings in the areas you mention. And a good size to start with if it's the right boat, properly equipped. Definitely get some seamanship courses and on-the-water training first, though. The ocean will give you a fast and nasty education if you're unprepared.

Always negotiate with the dealers! They expect it. Buying new though, offers few advantages at a large price premium. And you just bought big depreciation.

Good, used boats show up occasionally but they are snapped up quickly, sometimes within hours. You need to do your research first so you recognize these deals when they arrive. No negotiating here, be there asap with cash in hand. Give the seller a decent deposit and sign a conditional contract to give you the time needed for your due diligence. If deficiencies are revealed, now you can negotiate. Many of the people here are very experienced and so heed their opinions and observations.

Before purchasing, develop a budget that includes any financing costs, taxes, insurance, maintenance and operating costs for the boat and the trailer. Buying a boat is the cheap part. The ongoing costs can be surprising. It's great if you learn to done some of your own maintenance and upkeep. It saves money and builds confidence.

Do it right and you will make a lifetime of great memories. Do it wrong and your boat will become a good deal for the next guy.

New boats, especially new aluminium boats, are very expensive and they will only get more expensive the longer you wait. Theyll last you a lifetime if you look after them, so an extra 10k or whatever may seem like a lot but in reality its worth paying that extra amount if its a boat you can be happy with for a long time. 10k doesnt go as far as you might think in the aluminum boat world btw.

If youre brand new to boating Id say you should get a cheap piece of **** fiberglass, but something with reliable power, to learn your lessons with. You may find that you want something different than you thought you wanted after operating a boat for a season. At the very least hire a guide or go out on a buddys boat and get a feel for things in terms of operating the boat, running the fishing gear, docking, etc.

If youre purchasing through a dealership/broker, shop around, and definitely see if theres any wiggle room on price. Most places would probably rather move inventory at a bit cheaper pricepoint than have it sit in the lot waiting for someone to pay full sticker price.

If youre dead set on buying a new tinny right off the bat with no boating experience, thats a pretty ballsy move. I hope you really know what you want. A lot of guys get "2footitis" shortly after running their boat for a while. Of course there are tradeoffs with going bigger as well, you need a bigger mooring slip, or a bigger truck and trailer, and a thicker wallet at the gas station.

If you have a budget and an idea of what you want, Im sure some of the guys here will have some input for you.
X2 on starting with a cheaper Fibreglass boat

Hi all,

New here, so forgive my naievity. I'm very seriously considering buying a brand new boat, for use around Victoria and Barkley sound. I'd like to fish, explore, take the family out. I'll stick to fair weather for now, sticking inshore and among the islands and inlets. Like I said I'm new...so I'll be learning a lot about boating, and boat ownership. I'm pretty committed to it one way or another.

Consider taking a Power Squadron course to learn some boating basics before taking your family out on the saltchuck, if you don’t have any experience.
Safety is ultra important when dealing with tides and weather conditions, especially with your family onboard.

Excellent advice all around. Thanks guys. Sometimes a guys just needs to hear someone else's perspective. Happy to be a member of the forum.

I might still do it...but the cheapy starter fiberglass is probably the sensible way to go. Also...I'm for sure going to get some courses in. I do spend a lot of time in, on and around the ocean and have a healthy respect for the dangers that exist. Plus I really don't want to be the clown that gets himself in trouble out of sheer ignorance. Can't wait to get out there!

I bought the same boat last year. Nearly new. (Had only 9 hours). I absolutely love it. Perfect boat for my needs. Plan on keeping it till I am too old to use it and at 43 I’m hoping that’s several decades.

I bought the same boat last year. Nearly new. (Had only 9 hours). I absolutely love it. Perfect boat for my needs. Plan on keeping it till I am too old to use it and at 43 I’m hoping that’s several decades.
Hey! I'm 43! I should for sure buy it then...haha. Happy to hear that positive review. Where abouts are you? What kind of water do you have it out in most often?

maybe someone more in the Know will chime in here but isn’t Katana Craft and River Hawk the same company? I might be wrong but something to look into

Hey! I'm 43! I should for sure buy it then...haha. Happy to hear that positive review. Where abouts are you? What kind of water do you have it out in most often?
I’m in Comox. So far just around here on nicer days. Have been out on a few rougher days and it handled well, but I’m really a fair weather fisherman!

I second the motion on going with a used f/glass boat (maybe late 90's era?). Newer outboard though...
Especially in the 18 foot category. More weight for more stability but not so much that you need huge power. If you're trailering it and storing in your driveway you might even consider an IO to get in even cheaper. It's just a one year cheap lesson to make you really understand what you want. Even your opinion on seating layout might be swayed after you use it. Cheap glass starter boat 100%

Used boat prices are really inflated right now. The value proposition over new is less clear. Sure they're cheaper, but is it worth it? Only you can decide.

Agree also on a used fibreglass boat for a first time buyer. Newer 4 stroke as well with the correct power to potentially reduce some of the headaches associated with being underpowered. Having confidence with the power train equals a good day on the water. Otherwise any mishaps leads to the frustration of why I bought a boat in the first place.
Don't buy a neglected trailer and if you do get it serviced correctly as the family will abandon you on the side of the highway. Lol

When I started boating I would have bought a new boat right off the bat if i could afford it. I take care of my stuff and every boat I have bought in the last 25 years ended up in better shape than I bought it. Starting off with new everything pretty much insures several years of trouble free boating as long as you keep up the maintenance and take care of it. A new aluminum boat will likely not lose much in value over the years. If you decide you want to go larger down the road, you will likely get most of your investment back. I am basing this on a couple of friends who have sold their aluminum boats for more than the purchase price. Good luck with whatever decision you make.

If you decide on aluminum have a look at the Hewes boats too, well built and priced well. My advice is if you can afford it when you buy go with the bigger power option. I bought a Hewes 20 Searunner in 2007, came with a 115, I upgraded to a 150 at the dealer when I bought, so glad I did. Example if the 18 you’re looking at comes with a 90 upgrade to the 115. Cheap boat to start for the first season is a great idea.

I started with a hewescraft aluminum sportsman 18. It was an awesome boat. Really easy to fish with. Because there is no pod it's easy to park it, easy to troll it. It was fast and foam filled. So they claim unsinkable. But so was the titanic, so who knows. I bought it for what I sold it for. It was easy to sell. So essentially all I paid was operating cost. But the sportsman 18 was very slappy. Hurt your back when crossing the straight.
So I upgraded to a 20' duckworth. I love it. But it's a nightmare to dock, the pod makes the aluminum boats less responsive for steering and its still light enough It blows the boat around. Something you get used to but for myself it gave me anxiety everytime I had to dock. It still slaps occasionally but I have Shockwave seats, that makes all the difference. When I sell it I'll get close to what I paid. Buying an aluminum is like buying a Toyota. Great resale value. I would recommend learning on something similar to the hewes sportsman 18 or the equivalent in any of the north American made brands.
In fiberglass at the 18ft mark I love the double eagles.

If you decide on aluminum have a look at the Hewes boats too, well built and priced well. My advice is if you can afford it when you buy go with the bigger power option. I bought a Hewes 20 Searunner in 2007, came with a 115, I upgraded to a 150 at the dealer when I bought, so glad I did. Example if the 18 you’re looking at comes with a 90 upgrade to the 115. Cheap boat to start for the first season is a great idea.
100% agreed I've driven a hewescraft sportsman 18 with the 90 and with the 115. The 90 feels underpowered. I have a 200 on my 20.

Many here have suggested that fiberglass makes sense for a used, starter boat. I agree. They are an inexpensive foot in the door if you choose the right ones. Many here are fans of Double Eagles, Malibu (not the ski boats) and Arima, for three. Others like their Trophys and Stripers. You can buy one, with good power and use it for a couple of years to gain valuable experience and to hone your wish list. They sell quickly with very little depreciation, if and when you decide to move on. I have spent time on friend's welded aluminum boats and I can see the attraction for some but I prefer fiberglass.

Back