Victoria Spring, and Halibut Summer 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey RiverKing , welcome to the forum! I think you might have some difficulty getting exact lat and longs for anyones favourite fishing holes. Do a forum search and I think you will get some great info that will point you in the right direction. Good Luck!

Ha ha, thanks beemer! im not looking for anyones favorite spot i was just looking for a website that displays gps locations so i can input the details into my handheld. i found a free chart site- earthnc.com, but no gps.thanks for the reply
cheers

quote:Originally posted by RiverKing

Ha ha, thanks beemer! im not looking for anyones favorite spot i was just looking for a website that displays gps locations so i can input the details into my handheld. i found a free chart site- earthnc.com, but no gps.thanks for the reply
cheers
You won't find a website posting lat-long for any "salmon" or "halibut" fishing areas? There are probably more posted on here than anywhere else. And, after "many" discussions on here with individuals that have spent their "life" finding these spots and trying to make living at it - I repect their position and will not publicly post any more exact lat-long's. :)

But what you are asking is usually freely provided in PM's? Plus, if you are given the area (eg "Whirl Bay") what more do you want? You don't have to go any farther than "google earth" to get any lat-long? Just put the curser over the location and look on the bottom of the page!

Ya was out there in it this morn fricken ugly but fishing was good before we got kicked off the water.

quote:Originally posted by RiverKing

cheers

Google Maps or Google Earth will do what you want. Google Earth is a little easier to use as you can save the long/lat onto a SD card and upload it directly to your device.

TenMile
<'((((><

There we go! Thats what im looking for! thanks a million guys, these sites are great. I owe ya one. once i get on em' i'll let ya know!
cheers

Been out to Constance twice this week, no luck. Using large herring and octopus.

Can anyone help me out and give me a general area to get a few crabs when my folks come across, I've given Pedder Bay a try but someone told me the area is not clean? Don't crab that much but would like to get a few for dear ole dad. Thx

PS: I'm the one with the white Thunderjet if you see me out there, I need all the help I can get :D

quote:Originally posted by Falcon

Been out to Constance twice this week, no luck. Using large herring and octopus.

Can anyone help me out and give me a general area to get a few crabs when my folks come across, I've given Pedder Bay a try but someone told me the area is not clean? Don't crab that much but would like to get a few for dear ole dad. Thx

PS: I'm the one with the white Thunderjet if you see me out there, I need all the help I can get :D

Hi - dont worry keep trying with the hali. I have not caught any in the last 4 trips but the 5 trips ago I got two. It is a steep learning curve I reckon.

The far end near the outlet of Sooke Basin has always been good to me for crab but perhaps that is because of all the septic tanks and runoff [8D] look for the other crab pots.

LC is right...the crab meat is fine. Almost all PCBs are concentrated in the crab hepatopancreas (aka liver). It's essentially a contaminant filter. There have been a number of studies on this. In fish, as PCB levels increase we do see elevations in the liver as well as the muscle.

Tough to be at work ~ wish I had an actual fishing report instead of this tidbit of info. :)

Transport Canada initiated a study on fish, crabs etc from Portage Inlet to approx. the breakwater in 2006 and the results showed clearly that the crabs (fish too) - even though you can detect a slightly higher contamination level - are absolutely fine for human consumption - even from places like right under the West Bay Marina floats, Inner Harbour, upper Gorge etc

quote:Originally posted by beemer

Hey RiverKing , Sorry misunderstood ya! Here is another good one
http://marine.geogarage.com/routes be sure to select Noaa charts on the right.

Beemer, that is an excellent site, makes it a lot easier to get an idea about the locations that are mentioned in reports from areas that I don't usually fish.
Thank you for sharing the link!

www.cobbcanada.ca

Wow very snarley out there today border line shouldn't have been out there but we tuffed it out got a 70 and 52lbr and missed 4 more might have something to do with the boat moving 10ft at a go lol.
Hope this sheet dies soon or it's going to make for a long week.

quote:Originally posted by bananas

Wow very snarley out there today border line shouldn't have been out there but we tuffed it out got a 70 and 52lbr and missed 4 more might have something to do with the boat moving 10ft at a go lol.
Hope this sheet dies soon or it's going to make for a long week.

Out at Constance for a couple of hours this afternoon. One spring in the boat within the slot. Got probably 15 cod one right after another in about 100-120ft of water on a blue/silver squirt. Was a little lumpy out there. Wind died down at about 2pm for about 45 minutes and then started to blow harder after that.

TenMile
<'((((><

We got for about 2 hours on the tide change this afternoon
and the green/glo squirt/flasher combo worked well...
21 and 18lbs.
released a wild about 15lbs

May052010006.jpg

May052010008.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back