Victoria Spring, and Halibut Summer 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:Originally posted by fishflyguy89

Halibutfishing029.jpg

Halibutfishing021.jpg
Love the t-shirt!! [:p]

Shoulda threw it at the sail boat that drove over the anchor line! Put a lead weight in the middle and toss it in his boat!

Thanks Justin!

-Steve

With the racing tides this weekend (29-30 May) is it better to fish Clover to Brotchie during the later afternoon slack OR is there value in getting out there just after first light. I have only fed a F*#@in seal the last time rode a huge epp. See ya out there. This site rocks!! S.T. In the Boston Whaler

Big tides, full moon could mean fishing is not so good.
I would go for the mid morning tide change, you'll get an hour
either side before the tide starts smokin' again.

got out to the flats for first time with chris73 and smiley...not hot and heavy by any means, but I pulled in a hatch around 12 and they each lost one around the same. Ended the day with Chris getting the elusive halibut bycatch - first one in his books - felt like bottom all the way up and with no gaff, got it barely in the net, I got a bath, Chris got chewed on, and then finally hogtied the sucker and got it in (came in around 25lb). Made for a great finish!

fishy001.jpg

fishy004_1024x768.jpg

Looks like half of Sooke has moved to Oakbay [:p]
We hit 3 fish 19,14,9 and lost a couple more,
squirts on the deck at 120-150'

quote:Originally posted by r.s craven

Looks like half of Sooke has moved to Oakbay [:p]
We hit 3 fish 19,14,9 and lost a couple more,
squirts on the deck at 120-150'

yeah, couple of dopey solo guys doing doughnuts did make it interesting out there for a while. Congestion wasn't too bad though, but that is probably because we are used to the Sooke gong show.

One in the boat about 12lbs on squirts. Lost a big hali earlier snapped my leader. My thanks to the boats who tried to give me room to play it.

Hit Oak Bay with The Rock and got of few salmon up to mid-teens. Watched Craven put on a clinic for a while ~ you were on fire! We were running bait but the plastic was sure working well for others. Then right before we left The Rock hooked into a 35lb BUTT which was fun to land! Always a welcomed bycatch and by the sounds of today's reports we weren't alone in that department. Great weather...glad I wasn't sailing!;)

HAD TO WORK FOR THEM BUT BOATED 5 SALMON 14 TO 20 HATCH, LOST A FEW MORE AND ONE BIG ONE BROKE THE LEADTER, MAYBE WAS A HALLY, .STILL A GREAT DAY .CRAVEN HAD A GREAT FIGHT WITH ONE SALMON IT JUMP 4 TIMES GLAD TO SEE YOU LAND THAT ONE .BOOMER

quote:Originally posted by boomer

HAD TO WORK FOR THEM BUT BOATED 5 SALMON 14 TO 20 HATCH, LOST A FEW MORE AND ONE BIG ONE BROKE THE LEADTER, MAYBE WAS A HALLY, .STILL A GREAT DAY .CRAVEN HAD A GREAT FIGHT WITH ONE SALMON IT JUMP 4 TIMES GLAD TO SEE YOU LAND THAT ONE .BOOMER

That fish had one hook buried in the back of the head, wore a 2" hole
in it. i was on the rod for almost 25 mins. :D

Did the 430am start today had excellent haly fishing 8 fish to the boat before 8am then hit cony and limited on springs 8-14lbs hatches.
SAlmon were rite on the bottom and purple haze and glow squirts were the ticket.Haly was a mack show today.

hey bannas going fishing sunday salmon in morning and hallys when it slows down were you at the chickin ranch or border spot for hallys boomer .,just need a direction 48,49,westend ,eastend 27,57, 40,46 or oakbay
thanks boomer. I see 11.00 am to 3.30pm is prime time.

ffg89 the butts were 25 to 40lbs no monsters but great fun.Boomer i was fishing west off the 27fath reef 280ft water.

quote:Originally posted by boomer

hey bannas going fishing sunday salmon in morning and hallys when it slows down were you at the chickin ranch or border spot for hallys boomer .,just need a direction 48,49,westend ,eastend 27,57, 40,46 or oakbay
thanks boomer. I see 11.00 am to 3.30pm is prime time.

Ya gunna do a couple combo trips this weekend myself.

If the weather cooperates should be some fine fishing indeed!

was another great day on the water anchored up by 5am and fish on rite away had our limits by 730 then off to cony for salmon.
The largest haly was 75lbs and mackeral was king again.salmon was slower today managed 2 nice hatches largest around 12lbs and let go a beauty wild pushin 20lbs.The salmon were hooked on pink haze squirts and white glow squirts.

Also managed to miss any of the wind this aft.

Hey Trev, How long were you able to anchor for? I want to get out there, just wondering if the current chart is correct. Somtimes it seems way off to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back