Victoria Reports - Spring and Summer 2012

Saw 3 outfitters boats there Wednesday evening and they posted 1 picture of a long line release. Its slow as always.

Oh ya look at that they added some more pics. I checked Thursday am and they just had the picture of the long line release so I thought they were skunked. what outfitters doesn't tell you is the 1 spring they got wed pm was between 3 boats. I wonder if some if their other multi fish pictures are also multi boat efforts? Not that it matters they do well out there I like their Facebook page. I stand by my comment that it's slow though. There are some fish but you need to work hard for them.

PS there are some real nice wild coho hanging around the wall just released a 12lbr. Watch out for them I was surprised to see them there. There is not many but if you fish the waterfront you might get one.

Last edited by a moderator:
I could use a couple nice coho for dinners, hopefully there's still some around for the next two weeks!

Well, I had my biggest fish of my life this morning! I went out for a solo fish just before dark of the breakwall. I'd loaded up the fly reel that I had won at the Esquimalt Anglers derby a few weeks back with 20lb mono for some fun coho fishing. I had it down as my second rod and got a whole lot more than a coho!

51' glow flasher and glow chovie head. 645am.

I didn't have a scale so weighed it at the Esquimalt Anglers club house. Weighed in just under 33lb!! I did a double check with my neighbours scale and his had it a hair heavier at 33.4. It was certainly a battle getting it in the net but on the third try got it in!

This was the most marbled white I have caught and really a cross between red and white when looking at the flesh. It was a male and really chrome.

Here's the pics!

:D:D:D

Ap

Attachments

• tyee3.jpg
    tyee3.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 215
  • tyee2.jpg
    tyee2.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 182
  • tyee1.jpg
    tyee1.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 162
Great fish AP, congrats. That must have been fun on light gear, did he take a few good runs on you?

Congrats!

Where the heck did you get that flasher?.........I've never seen a Glow Yellow. Is it really Yellow or is that a color shift with the camera?

Fished the waterfront Friday evening, from 4 pm thru 730 pm Released a small spring 5pm and a nice 10 lb wild coho at the breakwater. What a beauty of a nite 2 criuse ships arrived while trolling the breakwater

Where the heck did all the fish go? Out last weekend, to a banner morning -- limited on Coho plus a pair of springs.

Yesterday -- a small local fishing derby and I figure I've got this thing locked up (given my fishing genius of last weekend). Worked it hard -- Border Bank (nada), deep water tidelines for Coho (nada), Constance on the ledge (nada), finally took the kids over to Spencer Ledge by the Gap so they could get something. My daughter won 3rd place in the derby with a 6lb Ling and only missed first place by a half pound. Only 3 salmon weighed in all day, 6.5lbs, 6 and 4!!!

Beauty day however -- guess we need some rain to get things stirred up again?

Hey Seafever, It is quite a cool flasher and snapped it up as soon as I saw it at a second hand store, but haven't come across this one in any of the fishing stores around Vic. The camera is probably playing tricks a bit with the colour. It is like a stereotypical glow color(white/green). The plastic itself is glow material with a silver reflective tape on one side and gold/yellow on the other. I think that the glow probably played a pretty big part for me saturday morning since it was still pretty dark out. I put the flasher in front of my LED flashlight on the way over from Flemming to give it a bit of charge. I think these pics are better. I'm not sure of the brand of flasher but I can check.

Attachments

• flasher.jpg
    flasher.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 102
  • flasher1.jpg
    flasher1.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 110
Hey Tenmile,
I was out Sturday afternoon and decided to go out to the 3 or 4th tidelines and found dozens of seals and porpoises out there by border bank. No bait, no salmon on the radar. that's weird, I figured there would be some food source. Then I headed with the tide towards discovery light. again no fish...then just as I was leaving the tide rips I noticed the fleet of whale watching boats behind me on thwe flats/beside discovery... the orca pods are back in force. Those seals looked a little scared and they were obviously treading water past the shipping lanes for a reason.

Pro-D day at school today so did a few hours with the kid off and around the breakwater. Two unclipped coho to show for our efforts.
Lots of bait around, I saw no sign of Springs.

Speaking of Coho.. we just returned from a walk along the Gorge, spotted a couple of jumpers on the incomming tide between Tillicum and Craigflower bridge

Speaking of Coho.. we just returned from a walk along the Gorge, spotted a couple of jumpers on the incomming tide between Tillicum and Craigflower bridge

They are also jumping inside Sooke Basin and people are fly fishing for them off the little sandbar spit at the mouth of the Sooke River.

Back