Victoria Reports 2015

Victoria Reports 2015

Fished the late afternoon with Dave S out on Constance yesterday and we had some great action; 7 spring on in 2.5 hours, lost a good size to a seal and took home some nice 8-10lb clipped springs, and a double header to finish the day with a 25lb Hali! My first of the season.

I took my toddlers out for a Hali fish this morning off the waterfront and think my season is done! 15 minutes after dropping I was into a big one. An hour later it was harpooned beside the boat. I spent about half an hour trying to measure it beside the boat and in the end it was 132cm. It was a challenge harpooning it and a missed jab sent it to the bottom. Luckily the circle hook was well set. Unfortunately I don't know the true weight but it maxed out the two scales at esquimalt anglers which was 66lb(and 62 is max on the scale in pic) so it's a hair above that. It took some fresh salmon belly from the day before and the salmon roe jammed in the hoochie. Peetz Hali jig no spreader bar. I also tied the salmon skeletons to the dr ball and sent it down.

And since I'd only been out a couple hours I dropped a line to ride the current from trial back to esquimalt and within five minutes had a nice 9lb hatch and called it a day/morning. 160' on bottom.

Pretty epic couple days in my books.
51d9d77676b8113812d83a76152fb4db.jpg

ae67b378a3caba66284f9a1c99b88474.jpg
102b6051916eb27ae770fedc29d6891f.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Went out early today for some halis. Got into a few at the border. All on white hootchies, with octopus.....and 6 types of scents...yup 6. Anyways...my boat stinks. That stink bait stuff from trotac is disgusting. Thanks alot Chris. I guess it works though.
ef6d5853c3bcdba4793770fa149862d1.jpg

Saw you coming back to Anglers as we were kayaking across the entrance, Andrew-- nice fish.
T2

That was a great fish Andrew. But you told me you were by yourself, clearly you had some veteren help on board. Your kids get out more then most of us! Must have been exciting (and tiring) for the whole crew.

Donovan, wow action! That must have weighed the boat down for the ride home!

T2 - Was that you with the sails on the kayaks? Those were some skookum looking rigs!

GDW - you are totally right. Full team effort. The boys were great help....especially considering I had only just put a second rod down and was completely unprepared to be landing anything let alone the slab you saw. Jasper grabbed and past all the needed gear. Also the rod holder was key for lending some help while harpooning. And thankfully a couple buddies were not too far away and came to help haul it aboard...and try the spot for an anchor swap.

The local fishery has been as great as the weather this weekend! We got a halibut yesterday out of pedder and salmon fishing was great at the tide change this morning in Oak Bay. The Sitka sandlance looked exactly like the competition in the salmon bellies. Andrew thanks again for doing the r&d and making your spoon for us. Five salmon hit it in 3 hrs this morning. Green back and glow belly stickers were the ticket.

Fished Oak Bay with the wifey for an hour this morning nice calm day and lots of boats out, did see a double header happening but could not locate bait today. Left for Constance, fished there for a hour and half picking up a nice 10 lb hatch. Wife was happy to go home with one. Beautiful day out there nice calm water and got pretty warm out there with the sun out.

Tried for hali on Wednesday. Currents were much stronger than forecast. Got skunked for the first time ever in oak bay. Put in about 4-5 hours

Went out with Chero yesterday [friday] , launched at Cattle Point at 9am , fished the regular haunts around the flats, Brodie, the Gap. Counted 16 boats out around Brodie but did not see anything caught or much bait. Came in at 2:30 with one crab for Chero's better half. Crappy south wind was annoying!

At one time I counted 24 boats on the flats, never saw a net out all morning.

It has certainly been busy with boats on the flats over the last week! Was out Tuesday and Friday before work and Saturday mid day. I also didn't see enough nets to justify the crowd, although a few fish around. Managed to land 4 over he week, three of them on cutplugs from herring jigged at Fanny Bay this spring. I had always figured that herring jigged during the spawn would blow out if you tried to cutplug them (unlike the starved commercially available herring) but they worked pretty well. Also hooked a couple on the Sitka spoon

I was around Esquimalt and Brotchie this morn. I have nothing positive to report from a fish in the coffin perspective but some time on the water is always good for the soul.

At one time I counted 24 boats on the flats, never saw a net out all morning.

Well, I guess you missed my net! I picked up a 9# hatch this morning on the flats. I also counted that many boats out there. I was thinking there would be more action considering how many boats were out. I saw one other fish landed.....

Well, I guess you missed my net! I picked up a 9# hatch this morning on the flats. I also counted that many boats out there. I was thinking there would be more action considering how many boats were out. I saw one other fish landed.....

Fished Constance this morning for a couple of hours and at the tide change around 11 got 2 hatchery 10 to 12 pounds. squirts for both.
Feeding on sandlance. (needlefish) Lost another to the seals.

You *****!

An unusual fish from Chinook Stomach at Oak Bay last week. I think this is a Barracudina (Arctozenus rissoi), rare around here and usually very deep. I thought it was a big sandlance at first but sandlance have no teeth. You never know what you'll pull up!

Attachments

• DSCN5215.jpg
    DSCN5215.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 584
  • DSCN5211.jpg
    DSCN5211.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 584
Back