Victoria, Oak Bay, Pedder Bay, Sooke......?

floored

Which area would be easiest to fish without local knowledge?
With the fishing around Salt Spring being more of a lottery, I'm thinking of traveling for the weekend to help fill the freezer, but I'm trying to figure out if it'll be worth it. So any input/advice would be appreciated.
Thks

Last weekend the area between Aldridge Point and Otter Point had plenty of coho and a good enough number of springs present to make it very interesting. You have easy access at both ends of that area with Cheanuh Marina being close to the east end and several marinas in Sooke servicing the western end. From that point just look for boats, join them and put an anchovy or spoon at 55 ft and another one at 75 ft and hope for a lack of adipose fins. The rips and tide lines between Secretary (Donaldson) Is and Beechy Head would be a really good place to start. Chinook fishermen will be following specific tacks closer to shore. Same depths and gear work for both. Good luck!

CP

Last weekend the area between Aldridge Point and Otter Point had plenty of coho and a good enough number of springs present to make it very interesting. You have easy access at both ends of that area with Cheanuh Marina being close to the east end and several marinas in Sooke servicing the western end. From that point just look for boats, join them and put an anchovy or spoon at 55 ft and another one at 75 ft and hope for a lack of adipose fins. The rips and tide lines between Secretary (Donaldson) Is and Beechy Head would be a really good place to start. Chinook fishermen will be following specific tacks closer to shore. Same depths and gear work for both. Good luck!

CP

Personally that is where I would go right now..

Victoria, Oak bay pretty much the same. :(
There have been a few nice fish over the last couple weeks off the waterfront.

I agree Scott you guys have had a really tough year. People have a freakout when they see a few fish off waterfront. I know several anglers fishing that area and it has been tough. Lot of bragging and crap going on social media saying it is hot. But that is not to say there are no fish there. That 36 was taken over there few days ago. Yes it is a lottery. I think for someone starting out I would focus on the coho and the potentially to hit the occasional spring. I think Victoria would be frustrating myself if you dont know area.

Thanks everyone, I'll try to get out there this weekend. Hopefully the winds don't come up too bad, so it's doable in my little Campy 165. I was kind of hoping that Vic/Oak had come on enough so I wouldn't have had to trailer on the ferries, but it is what it is. So far we've been pretty lucky with a 10#, 12#, 15#, & 22.5#, plus 2 mid teen Lings, but that's a long way from our year's freezer supply. Time for a grind. Thanks again.

Back