Victoria Fall Salmon Shore Fishing

Griff

Hey everybody,

Im moving from mainland BC to Victoria in the fall and am excited to check out some of the shore fishing available here. I'm aware fall tends to be very productive for salmon cause of the salmon runs but am not really sure were to start location wise. So I just wanted to ask if any of you guys have any suggestions on where to start for shore casting fall salmon? I was thinking of trying ten mile point, cormorant point, and maybe the ogden breakwater as well but not sure if those are good spots for the fall.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

By the fall, most migratory salmon are either in estuaries or already up rivers. The best bet would be to focus on those types of places (Sooke, Port Renfrew, beaches on the ECVI) or fish the rivers after a decent rain. Lots of regs to wade through in both of these types of places, though.

Hey everybody,

Im moving from mainland BC to Victoria in the fall and am excited to check out some of the shore fishing available here. I'm aware fall tends to be very productive for salmon cause of the salmon runs but am not really sure were to start location wise. So I just wanted to ask if any of you guys have any suggestions on where to start for shore casting fall salmon? I was thinking of trying ten mile point, cormorant point, and maybe the ogden breakwater as well but not sure if those are good spots for the fall.

Any advice would be much appreciated!
Hi Griff.
Welcome to Victoria. You can fish here most of the year but salmon from the shore are rare during the month between October and April.
I do most of my shore fishing in August and Sept now that there is only catch and release May through July.
If one has a small boat and willing to get out on the calm days in the fall and winter months the smaller winter springs are available.
Bottom fishing can be done year round but larger Ling cods are getting VERY rare from shore. I'm not a fresh water fisherman and don't fish the rivers so can't speak about catching fish at the mouth of the rivers when they are spawning.
Best shore locations in and around Victoria are listed below:

East Sooke Park (Beachy Head)
Otter Point
Ogden Point Breakwater
Gonzales Point
Ten Mile Point

Hi Griff.
Welcome to Victoria. You can fish here most of the year but salmon from the shore are rare during the month between October and April.
I do most of my shore fishing in August and Sept now that there is only catch and release May through July.
If one has a small boat and willing to get out on the calm days in the fall and winter months the smaller winter springs are available.
Bottom fishing can be done year round but larger Ling cods are getting VERY rare from shore. I'm not a fresh water fisherman and don't fish the rivers so can't speak about catching fish at the mouth of the rivers when they are spawning.
Best shore locations in and around Victoria are listed below:

East Sooke Park (Beachy Head)
Otter Point
Ogden Point Breakwater
Gonzales Point
Ten Mile Point
Most bottom fish are closed for retention Oct through end of April. Very few species are open, check the regs. You might want to try Billing spit near Sooke for coho and chum in October I think it is, again check the regs.

Thanks so much for the replies guys!

Makes sense about the salmon being scarce from shore after September cause of them already being spawning, so I'll try and focus my efforts during September for shore fishing and then probably try billings spit area in October.

Thanks again everyone for the help, can't wait to get a line in the water.

Hi guys, I am looking for some good places that I could catch winter chinooks of any size and good spots I could go off my kayak? Thanks!

Back