JetSki Gulf Islands/West Coast

kaelc

So a buddy with more brains than me is thinking a JetSki might be a good solution for him to get back and forth to Sidney Island? I've watched lots of YBS youtube series on his JetSki fishing videos but haven't seen them used much in the salt in BC. Is there anywhere to rent one in Victoria and how do you think they would perform in the current/choppy waters of the gulf islands.

He lives in Oak bay I believe so has to have a smaller boat, so we have chatted over the last couple years about inflatables and some folding boat..... He's mostly a flatwater boy but has some time on the ocean. I'm think a 15 foot horston or double eagle with dual power that is a little beat up and has a top is the best thing to buy or a cheap aluminum but considering guys are asking 40k for used 16 footers I'm not so sure.

If you aren’t afraid of getting wet, the three-seater machines are very seaworthy. The impellers can be easily fouled by floating debris or small rocks when breaching them. We toured ours from Squamish to the north end of the island, and up into the central coast. Rode Howe Sound in the afternoon inflow chop often. Wet ride, but do able. Put on some kayaking gear, buckle your chin strap and off ya go!

If you aren’t afraid of getting wet, the three-seater machines are very seaworthy. The impellers can be easily fouled by floating debris or small rocks when breaching them. We toured ours from Squamish to the north end of the island, and up into the central coast. Rode Howe Sound in the afternoon inflow chop often. Wet ride, but do able. Put on some kayaking gear, buckle your chin strap and off ya go!
Thanks! I let him know your feedback.

just be aware that jet skis are not allowed in the US gulf islands waters , and they take enforcement seriously in merica.

I use to have a Polaris SL900 when I lived on the Island. I lived in Ladysmith and ran it to Vesuvius on Salt Spring many times to meet my parents for lunch and pretty much all over that area with no isuuse. The new ones are even bigger and more stable than my was. If there is any sort of wind and chop you are definitely getting wet...lol They have decent storage so packing a dry set of gear isn't an issue. I also ran them in Northern rivers and you can buy a screen for the intake that doesn't allow larger rocks tp ding your impellor. Makes me want another one now.....thanks! lol

Back