Victoria 2014 Reports

Took the boat out of the water on Sunday night to clean off the bottom. Back in the water last night. Looked at the tides and decided to have a quick fish at constance for the tide change. Man it was cold and windy out there compared to hot, muggy and still at the dock.

One hit that didn't stick, my fault could get the zipper on the door open fast enough lol. At least I was sounding a few fish out there as opposed to Saturday out front. The fish were on the bottom. Didn't sound any bait.

I sure love the color and how clear the water is compared to a month ago. This super moon also brought some big tides with it. The tide change at constance was quick and violent.

JL

After a couple weekends in a row of weddings and short work weeks in between it was nice to get done fishing time in today. I took my eldest toddler out this am from 530-8 from Macauley point to clover point without a bite. Then, after work grabbed the toddler again and went out for the evening bite, fished 530-8 and was rewarded with a thick, 18lb spring. It went on a crazy run off the clip and I had to chase it down a bit. Caught in 60' of water 45' on the downrigger, green and gold Sandlance and flasher about 60' from clip.

I know there has been some dismal reports lately but I couldn't believe that there was not a single trailer in the lot at esquimalt anglers when we pulled out at 8:30pm. Can't catch a fish without a line in the water! image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Every morning when I drive past Esq Anglers there are lots of people out there.......where are the reports guys?!

I imagine a good portion of them are getting skunked and not many enjoy reporting a skunk. Let's face it, reports can also be considered bragging, and I've never met a fisherman who didn't enjoy bragging about their success.

Yerp,went out in the fog off oak bay last eve,zigged around the flats just to get my skunk wet.
Enjoyable nun the less.so much so i might just do it tonight:)

One thing I forgot about from last night was a super unfortunate by-catch. One rod started bouncing and popped the clip but as soon as I started reeling could tell it was something different. It was a poor little auklet. It was still barely breathing but was freaked. The hook was right in the beak and came out easy. Hopefully it survived...

That's the first time that has happened to me. Others had this happen? It was on a sandlance spoon.

Way back, about 20 years ago, when I used to shore cast off of otter point, I caught 1 of those diving birds. I was using a buzz bomb, and the bird took it. Definately not a good thing .

Got this lil guy on a pink tko in pedder a couple days ago..came in the boat lifeless,after a couple squeezes it opened its eyes,then a micro-fiber snuggie and some sun was all it needed.
Was not bothered with me holding it.image.jpg

I used to get them quite a bit cut plugging mid coast.it can get messy.
Was nice this one was also hooked at the end of its beak.

Constance produced a few smaller (7-10#) springs for us today A few as deep as 140 and a few shallow as we found a herring ball at the surface. No cohos, no sox again.

Caught 2 diving birds over the years; one hit the bait 120' deep. Go figure.

I had a couple of distressing diving bird incidents with clients while guiding, best forgotten (once an auklet and once a murre). Have also caught a nighthawk in the wing while fly fishing... and a cat while trying to unhook a shiner perch as a kid. Have not actually caught a bat but beaned one with the fly rod and had to watch the poor thing swim to shore. Overall warm blooded by-catch is best avoided.

Had a bird grab a lure and bring it to the surface while reeling up the other week. Thankfully it wasnt hooked and just let go.

Birds must be hungry that's a lot of recent incidents perhaps they are more aggressive with the minimal bait?

Picked up a 17 lb. spring in front of Esquimalt Anglers at 7:30 this morning. Purple haze flasher and teaser. 40 ft. down in 70 ft. of water. Stayed out until noon but nothing after that. Lots of boats. Hopefully others were also having success for a change.

The Clover Point Anglers' Association two day 20th Annual Salmon Derby wrapped up this Sunday afternoon. We are the little tinnes you see on the waterfront. Eight salmon in total were caught between the 35 entrants. One was a wild coho which was released and one was a 4 lb sockeye. The other 6 were springs. The largest spring was caught by Tom Vaida and it weighed 15 lb 15 ounces and came from the harbour. Tom Celuzak caugth a 15 lb 4 oz spring on Sunday near Holland Point. On Saturday Tom C and his daugher got a double header on indentical wieght 15 lb 1 oz springs from near the Flag pole. Gerry Vervoort caught two springs, 8 lbs 7 oz and 7 lbs, as well as the coho he released on Satuday and Bill hallum landed a 9 lb spring near Clover. A couple of large fish were short line releases and many anglers reported getting strikes. I'm guessing around 12 springs were caught on Saturday by all the boats in total. So, I guess it's starting to pick up. On Sunday, someone was on the VHF claiming that there was a huge bite near Albert head. thay said they had a 40, a 30 a couple of 20's and some teeners in a short while. I cannot verify the accuracy of those claims on the radio. If true, I wish I had been there!

Back