Victoria 2014 Reports

First run with the new boat

I have followed the forum and learned lot over the last couple years. My buddy sold his Boston Whaler fishing rig about 6 month ago. After reality hit I had to find another boat. 16.5 double eagle out of Nanaimo saved my sanity. First trip out last weekend, flat waters, beauty day, I picked up a 8-10lb coho on the morning slack. It was mine for 5 seconds and then it was the battle of the mammals. Yep I got sealed. Smart seal, he had the fish by the head and play me for about 5 minutes. Then it dove down about 75-100' and let the fish go. I thought I had won, but wrong. It then grabbed it by the other side of the head and came back to the surface to play me again. In the end I had a half a head with a piece of gill and some guts. Darwin and evolution continues to struggle. Great day out and happy to be back on the water. To all thanks for the tips and stories.

Same for me yesterday..got to the can at1:30,into ogden,back out to 200' and trolled to trial averaging 4.5mph.nutin..as we are getting close to home and nodding off with the sun at our backs my lady tells me shes got ****** fish voodoo..as i am working on some bs about water temp,tides,VICTORIA having a wee bit of a slow year;)i turn to see her chompin on a banana!
Eeww gross! i say, wtf is that? She knows the deal but didnt think it applied to coho "season"
Haha ah well,another skunkin for the books..

Like my new jughead shaker?gunna give it a go in sooke this thursday,so stay away from me if ya wanna catch sumptin
View attachment 14271

This is great! Now just got to pinch those barbs LOL

This is great! Now just got to pinch those barbs LOL

This was the xxx hali setup.only bad charter boys run barbs.
Side note: spiny fish in black garbage bags seem to be the norm around oak bay lately..i thought poaching was closed as of oct 1st?

Voodoo is right bananas are bad luck on boats ,not sure why.colored garbage bags are sentted and have anti bactiria cemicals that leach into you catch best to use clear plastic,to keep your catch fresh and shinny.

Two for 3 this morning on the flood off the flagpole

Anchovy in green , 4' lead. green glow flash
60-80

coho are plentiful near victor hotel(yellow can) and east of constance. fast troll , lots of dummy flashers , 15 feet from clip to gear. bait is the ticket. when you find them , work it hard.

beemer

Not so plentiful today. Me and a buddy picked up two. One near Brotchie, one near the yellow can. Maybe others did better.
One was 8, one 6, both wild. One on a coho killer, one on a glow white hootchie.

Beauty day though, my gawd, it could not be more beautiful. The fish are a bonus on a day like this.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412546370.113252.jpg

Went out just before slack from fleming beach. Picked up one ho at 55ft on an anchovie about 8 lbs. Was close to the bank NW side. Did not show on the fish finder. Nothing else for the next 2 hours. Fished hard and changed flasher and bait. Flat calm and nice out there

My buddy called last night at about 9pm to bail on our planned Sunday coho fishing...at least it was for the only excusable reason; it was game time and by 00:55 this am he had a healthy baby girl! New Dad!

Well, the show must go on and I headed out with my 3 year old(less 10 days). I got a license for him this summer knowing 'that day' would no doubt come either this fall for coho or through the winter on a winter spring. Well, 'that day' happened today and he battled 5 coho bringing 2 all the way to the boat on his own after the hook was set. I would get the fish on then put the engine in neutral, slip the rod in a holder attached to a milk crate and it was game on for Jasper. He did great. It was one of those hot days on the water without a breathe of wind.

We started at slack at the yellow can and fished from 10am to 1pm doing donuts to Trial Island. At least 15 hits, 12 to the boat, 2 hatchery retained, 2 wild retained and 8 wild released. We found the fish between 80-120' on rigger and most between Clover Point and Trial Island. All on sandlance spoon. On one released wild, there was 2 nice hatchery swimming just out of net reach. Empty stomachs and all 4 were female. We release some sure males.

Half the catch is processed for the new parents and the other half is brining for the smoker.

[bv587NrciKc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bv587NrciKc
IMG_3806.jpgIMG_3822.jpg

Creepy submarine cruising through...IMG_3807.jpg

Nicely done Andrew good coaching. I forgot to post the depths that I am finding them at. 80 -110. Same thing Andrew?

Attachments

• !cid_884.jpg
    !cid_884.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 888
My buddy called last night at about 9pm to bail on our planned Sunday coho fishing...at least it was for the only excusable reason; it was game time and by 00:55 this am he had a healthy baby girl! New Dad!

Well, the show must go on and I headed out with my 3 year old(less 10 days). I got a license for him this summer knowing 'that day' would no doubt come either this fall for coho or through the winter on a winter spring. Well, 'that day' happened today and he battled 5 coho bringing 2 all the way to the boat on his own after the hook was set. I would get the fish on then put the engine in neutral, slip the rod in a holder attached to a milk crate and it was game on for Jasper. He did great. It was one of those hot days on the water without a breathe of wind.

We started at slack at the yellow can and fished from 10am to 1pm doing donuts to Trial Island. At least 15 hits, 12 to the boat, 2 hatchery retained, 2 wild retained and 8 wild released. We found the fish between 80-120' on rigger and most between Clover Point and Trial Island. All on sandlance spoon. On one released wild, there was 2 nice hatchery swimming just out of net reach. Empty stomachs and all 4 were female. We release some sure males.

Half the catch is processed for the new parents and the other half is brining for the smoker.
Nice work! So awesome to see the next generation in training.

Back