Victoria 2014 Reports

Unbelievably slow this season...
another skunk for me today :(

seems like maybe the feeders have taken off from Victoria area? What I always liked about Vic was even if the big boys weren't around there was always 10-15lb feeders to catch on the bank or Oak Bay.

What's the story Scott, is there no bait around?

That's the crazy thing Kevin, there is bait mostly needlefish
The Puget sound hatchery fish just haven't showed up this year.
Hmmm, wonder if Charlie had anything to do with it ? ;)

Out off the breakwater and harbour mouth last night again. 3 rods out for 3 hrs and not a nibble.

Any chance the chinook are running deep away from shore to avoid that red tide water in the warmer surfacewater close to shore? Usually red tide is a short term deal but the water has been quite red for at least a month straight. Has anyone tried trolling super deep 150+ like some did last summer?

Heard of a boat fishing 175ft doing well but I never tried. That was a week ago.

The whole point of summer fishing is shallow water not much fun scraping bottom in my opinion I get enough of that in the winter but might be worth a shot if its slow. a deep fish is better then no fish.

A week ago charter boats out of Neah bay washington were fishing near swift sure and instead of fishing the usual 120 to 150 they were fishing deep from 225 to 300 and doing well. Some say the coloured water of El Niño means fish deeper for salmon in the hot summer months. I'll try again deeper and see what comes up.

Very slow off the waterfront, but there is the odd fish showing. A friend got a 31 1/4 on Tthursday, I got a 20 yesterday, and my friend got a 15 1/2 today. However, almost everyone else was getting skunked and I guess that we were just lucky. My guess is one fish for every 12 boats. Not what you'd call smoking!

Launched from Cattle point at 7:00 am today. Trolled past Clover point and picked up an small hatchery spring about 5-6 lbs. First fish bonked in the new boat. Nothing in it;s stomach.. Lots of bait around. We are hoping this was an advanced scout and his friends will follow. Green Glo Coyote spoon did the trick at 80 feet

Fished Constance first thing this am. Very lumpy but caught the tide change. Sounded lot of fish and bait but no hits. Headed to albert head where we continued to sound lots of bait and fish but failed to hook up again. Gotta beat this slump.

Heard of a 30 and 22 caught off the waterfront this am.

JL

That's the crazy thing Kevin, there is bait mostly needlefish
The Puget sound hatchery fish just haven't showed up this year.
Hmmm, wonder if Charlie had anything to do with it ? ;)

They have shown up but apparently less so off Victoria. There are lots of them off Sooke this year which has been a growing trend for the last few years. To catch them dump the bait and fish glow plastic deep and fast with a shorter than normal Chinook Hootchie leader length of about 30 inches. Try 90 to 140 feet on the rigger with a 15 or 20lb ball in 150 to 180 feet of water column. Lots of them are clipped and most are 5 to 10 lbs. We have been playing catch and release with them when it is slow for the big transients, especially in the super fast flood tides like there has been the last few afternoons.

They have shown up but apparently less so off Victoria. There are lots of them off Sooke this year which has been a growing trend for the last few years. To catch them dump the bait and fish glow plastic deep and fast with a shorter than normal Chinook Hootchie leader length of about 30 inches. Try 90 to 140 feet on the rigger with a 15 or 20lb ball in 150 to 180 feet of water column. Lots of them are clipped and most are 5 to 10 lbs. We have been playing catch and release with them when it is slow for the big transients, especially in the super fast flood tides like there has been the last few afternoons.

Now that is an A1 report. And I think you are bang on. I put my go pro down on Sunday and noted how dark the water was compared to last year. Sounding all the fish on the bottom I realized that maybe glow is the key.

JL

They have shown up but apparently less so off Victoria. Lots of them are clipped and most are 5 to 10 lbs

Those sound like winter feeders, the run I'm talking about is the 12-22lb hatch jobs
we were getting pretty well all season last year

Yup rockfish the feeders are not missing its the mature US hatchery run that has not shown in large numbers for area 19. There are a few out there though enough to keep me interested and boy are they a scrappers right now!

Was out in pedder for a few hours last night with another forum member. He hooked into a nice fish that did a few huge leaps before tossing the hook. We were into a few feeders as well landed 2 and released both. Lost one other and had a few taps. Not bad for a quick fish in pedder bay I thought. Wind and tides wouldn't have let us go anywhere else.

Wow.
Oak Bay Marina is absolutely thick with 2" herring schools

time to get out the jigging stick; maybe flip a buzz bomb off their deck as you sip martinis...:)

Fished 1-2pm around albert head. First released a smallish spring. Then a wild coho. Then I was quite surprised by what was at the side of the boat. "That's a pink!" Double take. "Yep, that's a pink. We'll take it!" I'm no salmon snob and I think smoked pink is great.
Kept working the area and hit one more small spring, so we headed towards race rocks. The wind was holding off so we wiped around the corner to Christopher Pt. Right away hit another.....PINK!?. Yep less than 5 minutes in at new spot and another pink is at the side of the boat. Another one for the smoker! One more shaker and a 5-6 spring that we took as well before the breeze came up. Pulled the crab trap up and three 7-7.5" rock hard dungies, and one 7.5" softy. Nice day to skip outta work early with a co-worker.

Anyone else catching pinks? I'm assuming they are taking the long way around to Campbell River?

Puget Sound has a few very small pink runs in even years. I think they are trying to rebuild them. So might be a good idea to leave them alone in even years.

Puget Sound has a few very small pink runs in even years. I think they are trying to rebuild them. So might be a good idea to leave them alone in even years.

Chris, I was not aware that sportiest are encouraged to release pinks in Jdf on even years. Do you have any wording suggesting this by fisheries or conservation groups. I'm all for harvesting from healthy, abundant stocks. If there were concerns with the amount of even year Jdf pinks that sport fisherman harvested, I'd think they would have a regulation to address this. No regs that I know of for pinks on even years. I can't imagine pinks being a tough species to rebuild. Some might say that 50% of the chinook runs in Pnw are needing help and that we should consider leaving them alone, but we all know that's not gonna happen based on someone's suggestion.

Anyways, thanks for the suggestion, I will consider this before I harvest another pink on an even year.

Back