Victoria 2013 Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fished 9 - 1:30 today. Thin pickings I found. One bite was all, bonked it, about a 7 pound hatch. Out front of the flagpole.

Saw some fish finning on the surface at one point, did a few laps through there and nadda.

Tried hoochies of various sizes,
colours and leader lengths, no go. The one fish came on a blue/silver coyote. Beauty day out there though and was way better than spending the day working. ;)

I fished this morning solo on the waterfront. Lots of boats out and good to see people catching fish. I had three hits total. 2 fish to the boat. I kept the mid/upper teen hatch spring and released about an 8 pounder. The teen was caught on a large herring left over from Hali fishing in a teaser head behind a chrome nootka flasher on the peetz. 8# was on an anchovy and then lost one on a tomack #2. Good Sunday morning fun!

I can't say I've ever caught a spring quite as football like as this one so I put the head in the box and hopefully it has a tag.

Would be interested to hear how the other 50 boats did!! I'll take any tips on the hook setup for big bait like this! I'd say my stinger is too far back and too big. But it worked...

Ap

View attachment 8175View attachment 8176View attachment 8177

Follow up to my post from back in July....I put the head in the box because I was interested if this was a classic Columbian football like legend would have it and.....it wasn't. I got the notification today that this is a Shushwap Chinook.

Thanks for passing that on. I think the myth that those big fat springs are Columbians has long been dispelled. They are ET Fraser fish and there used to be loads of em. Now its slim pickings and they are the reason we have the slot.

I haven't gotten any tags returned yet but I'm looking forward to it I sent almost every head I could in. I'm
Expecting I caught nothing but American fish but we'll see.

Untitled.jpg
Interestingly enough...it was a 2010 brood year. Must have been a good eater for a mid-upper teen at 3 years old.

I just got the information back for a fish of about 12 lbs from the flats on 17 July. It was from the Big Qualicum which was a bit of a surprise. Also brood 2010. The other heads I have returned around Victoria have all been Washington fish.

If Andrew's fish was a Shushwap Chinook that is not part of the Early Fraser stock that is resulting in the slot limit. The early Fraser five year olds are River type Chinook that have spent at least a year in fresh water. Shushwap forms part of the South Thompson Chinook aggregate, these are ocean type Chinook that go to sea in their first year. They have also been doing very well in recent years and form a major portion of the coastwide catch.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quick fish this afternoon. Stuck close to home and fished Albert Head - there were lots of birds working bait out there. We picked up a wild coho pretty quickly at 85' on a coho killer - it had two undigested 4 inch herring in her stomach. Couldn't find any others after that, just a couple tiny shakers. Bounced the bottom with one rod for a while to see if there were any winters around but not a sniff.

made a quick trip up to Bamfield by boat yesterday . Appears to be still lots for coho and dogs coming our way. I have had some good success out by the VG bouy in the last few days. green coho killer on a green/silver flasher . short leaders 24 inch and short clip down , 10 to 15 feet from the rigger. good luck.

beemer

192 Race Rocks East Cautionary light buoy VG
Traffic Lane Separator.
48 16 04.4
123 27 49.7
Fl Y 4s ..... ..... Yellow, marked "VG". Year round.

Chart:3461

<tbody>
</tbody>

Didn't go that far out to VG buoy yesterday but found some action off Race Rocks. Got a 10lb coho, had to keel haul and net it with a seal in chase while being tossed around in rip tide.

Out from 130-5 lookin for hali on the bank yesterday. Lotsa dogs, but no love from the hali with bellies, herring, and octi

Out in the fog today 9ish to 4. On the pick for hali off Albert Head. One well hooked fish that broke off the 65# braid at the reel cause I was to ham fisted to let it run sooner. So out there is a fish with 230 feet of line, a spreader bar, a 2# dink weight and mini flasher hangin off it's yap..... Rest of the day was dogfish and soles. Salmon belly was the bait that hooked the biggie. Sun came out around 3 and there was one other boat out there with us.

Tip

Hey Bent, too bad on the catch and release.
I'll be out there tomorrow trying again. I'll see if I can find your gear and return it to you.LOL

fished the edge of 27 fathom reef with 3 other boats from 9-2 yesterday. no hali and only 2 dogs but 3 humpbacks were circling around us gulping up the bait balls for about 2 hours. No one else appeared to catch anything, which was obvious as the "googans" all anchored so close to us after we arrived that we could see their rods tips.

Hali

No Hali today off the 27. Pulled the pick and tried the prison. Nothing there either except the whales.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back