Victoria 2013 Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anything doing off the waterfront today?

I was lazy and slept in.

I picked up a 20 and a couple of Coho the other day around Brotchie.

Pleased to report that finally, after 10 or so attempts (in different formats, some drifting), and after picking up an anchor set-up (thanks Wise-buys), we finally caught our first hali today. Out at Constance, only 16lbs or so, but we got 4 beauty fillets. Were out from 6:30-noon, several dogs, and had another hali on at one point but about 3/4 the way up, it snuck off the hook (or something). Currents were odd, early on it was flooding, switched to ebb but not for long, maybe an hour and a half, then back to a flood, where we were anyway. Odd. Caught the hali around the first change, at 9:30.

Oh, and yes it's a little small to be using a harpoon, but we weren't about to lose this one after losing one last year at the boat! A little overkill for sure. Made for tasty tempura tonight!

Attachments

• IMG_20130713_131449.jpg
    IMG_20130713_131449.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 303
Pleased to report that finally, after 10 or so attempts (in different formats, some drifting), and after picking up an anchor set-up (thanks Wise-buys), we finally caught our first hali today. Out at Constance, only 16lbs or so, but we got 4 beauty fillets. Were out from 6:30-noon, several dogs, and had another hali on at one point but about 3/4 the way up, it snuck off the hook (or something). Currents were odd, early on it was flooding, switched to ebb but not for long, maybe an hour and a half, then back to a flood, where we were anyway. Odd. Caught the hali around the first change, at 9:30.

Oh, and yes it's a little small to be using a harpoon, but we weren't about to lose this one after losing one last year at the boat! A little overkill for sure. Made for tasty tempura tonight!

If you don't practice on the small ones what will you do when you get a big one? Nice fish! Halibut have avoided me this year, or maybe I have avoided them?

-KK

Well did anyone stay at home this weekend waiting for reports?

I was going to make my first Sooke trip Sunday but got word springs were off the waterfront and all through oak bay. Wanted to give it a crack so I went out Saturday from dawn - 9:30. Lost a 10lbr right away at the boat (gaffe fail!) then it went slow for awhile. A wave of cohos came through and then the chinooks showed up in a big way. We hooked 11 springs, landing 9 and keeping these (plus 1 hatch ho). Shook off 4-5 wild ho's and lost a few more.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373837308.869458.jpg

Springs were 10-18lbs of course the biggest came after our limit so it was released.

SO.... Sooke wasn't looking so hot after Saturday. Back out from esquimalt anglers this morning with fellow member Chero but we couldn't possibly beat my day yesterday... Right?

Dropped our gear and BANG fish on. With a seal watching I played and boated my personal best hatchery fish at 21 pounds and change.

There was a good bite early with a feeder released and a couple lost then it slowed for a bit. They turned back on at the tide change though and indeed we did best my day yesterday.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373837400.871762.jpg

We had at least 12 springs hooked with about 8 making the boat. Most were 10-16 pounds but we did get the 21 and a couple feeders.

We also got two wild coho and as you can see the 15 and 20 pound halibut while targeting salmon! My gear was dialled in this weekend but I saw bent rods all over the place. At the dock report is the fish are in and they are everywhere! Guys had fish from albert head in tight through the breakwall, offshore and throughout oak bay.

Best fishing I've ever experienced. Hope they stick around for some others to enjoy!

Forgot to post this pic. Taken from the guts of Saturdays hatch coho.

The Cannibal!
I'm thinking that's a smolt anyone think they know what species?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373842498.131973.jpg

Im guessing with the big eye perhaps Sockeye smolt...

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

I posted a pic of a little guy that looked just like that a while back. I was told it was a pink, so I'm guessing hats what you have. Someone will be more certain

GDW

What was the magic lure/bait and depths? whatever it was i didnt have it today. fished all around and nadda. go pro down again and NO Fish in view after sifting through 150 mins of footage.

JL

Well did anyone stay at home this weekend waiting for reports?

I was going to make my first Sooke trip Sunday but got word springs were off the waterfront and all through oak bay. Wanted to give it a crack so I went out Saturday from dawn - 9:30. Lost a 10lbr right away at the boat (gaffe fail!) then it went slow for awhile. A wave of cohos came through and then the chinooks showed up in a big way. We hooked 11 springs, landing 9 and keeping these (plus 1 hatch ho). Shook off 4-5 wild ho's and lost a few more.

View attachment 8047

Springs were 10-18lbs of course the biggest came after our limit so it was released.

SO.... Sooke wasn't looking so hot after Saturday. Back out from esquimalt anglers this morning with fellow member Chero but we couldn't possibly beat my day yesterday... Right?

Dropped our gear and BANG fish on. With a seal watching I played and boated my personal best hatchery fish at 21 pounds and change.

There was a good bite early with a feeder released and a couple lost then it slowed for a bit. They turned back on at the tide change though and indeed we did best my day yesterday.

View attachment 8048

We had at least 12 springs hooked with about 8 making the boat. Most were 10-16 pounds but we did get the 21 and a couple feeders.

We also got two wild coho and as you can see the 15 and 20 pound halibut while targeting salmon! My gear was dialled in this weekend but I saw bent rods all over the place. At the dock report is the fish are in and they are everywhere! Guys had fish from albert head in tight through the breakwall, offshore and throughout oak bay.

Best fishing I've ever experienced. Hope they stick around for some others to enjoy!

Wow, you fellers did good!

Out at Constance today 7 - 11am. Pinks were everywhere and hitting anything even down to 180'. Quit at 6 then moved to waterfront in search of spring but to no avail.

JL like any magic it's no good if you let the secret out! We matched the hatch as a fly fishermen would say.

On the weekend fish were being caught all around us next time if your not having action, marking fish or seeing fish caught try moving to another spot. It sounds like they are all over the place though there is some insanely good fishing out there right now. Almost hooking springs at will when the bites on. These are days I'm not used I feel like I've gone back in time.

GDW

Fair Enough I get It.:) Just was looking for some confidence in the spring department as I was there too and didn't catch anything. Marked fish and bait all day and couldn't get to bite. That why I was curious.

Out yesterday. Tried Border for a quick halibut for an hour. I was jigging for salmon and was having salmon follow the lure to the boat. So trolled border and picked up on small spring. Then off to constance where I got some amazing go pro video. Finally got to confirm that my fish finder was bang on. Was sounding dozens of fish (pinks) below me and confirmed with the video. Learning tons from watching the fish and lure. I also learned how important it is to stay on the fish. Video located on my go pro thread.

JL

Nice work Adler! Feels good to break the streak huh? Nice fish! Btw, I would have harpooned it too! Why chance it.

Out this morning by the breakwater for about 2.5 hrs.

Picked up a 8-9 lb spring and two fat pinks.
Spring caught near bottom w/hootchie.

JF

Went out to Albert Head this evening for about an hour with nothing so moved to Constance from 6-8:30. Nonstop action again there. Yesterday it was pinks but today the Springs were biting. Limited with 4 springs 7-10lbs and 1 pink. Lots of bites and a few lost. Hot combo was skunk squirt and purple onion flasher right on bottom 100 - 120 ft. Bait seemed to encourage those little lings. There so many of those baby lings around Constance. Would be great if they stay around and grow a foot for next year.

fished east of constance tonight for a few hrs til dark. pink salmon bellies got the hali tonight. coho jumping on the surface and many massive schools of something pinks/coho/chinook running deep around the tidelines from 125ft to 175 ft in 180-200 ft of water, and a few stragglers in the top 35 ft. tried casting and deep jigging, but no luck on the salmon while hali fishing. it was dead calm, warm and very few boats out to enjoy it.

Took my wife out for a quick fish last night , flat calm conditions and the Springs were biting.
In about an hour we had 4 fish on, lost a screamer and boated a single and a double header.
20,13,12 lbs :D

july 16 oak bay 003.jpg

Attachments

• july 16 oak bay 001.jpg
    july 16 oak bay 001.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 483
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back