Victoria 2013 Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup... It's amazing fishing out there. Fished noon - 3:30 for these and released/lost many many more the Mrs. counted 19 hook ups. Believe it or not we didn't even fish hard taking a couple 15-20 minute breaks after long scraps with feisty fish.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374074186.715672.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374074200.054642.jpg

The above pictures are the same fish.

Fishing was so good on the way in I called my dad and brother in law to see of they wanted theirs. They did - back out and again 4-7pm or so.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374074339.024168.jpg

Kept a couple smaller bleeders this time. We got less 20 pounders on the second shift but still tossed back a couple and lots of 10-16's.

Triple header with my dad and bro in law was chaos but watching and listening to the mrs. Battle those big feisty springs on her own was the highlight.

4 days in a row of easy limits for me and my revolving crew. Took different people out each day between everyone we kept 20 springs over the 4 days and released at least double that plus lost a whole pile too. Countless double headers, one triple header, no seal attacks and for the last two days flat calm water.

This is paradise.

All but one spring I saw at the boat was a hatchery fish these are washington states finest. Most are 10-20 pounds the biggest weighed was over 21 but I didn't weigh them all. I think I had one or two 25's to the boat and released but its hard to tell weight in the water.

Speaking of oak bay I haven't caught a single pink there. I actually haven't caught one pink all year... Fishing is as good as pinks in the tide lines but all springs!

Last edited by a moderator:
Heading out this Friday I hope, never fished Victoria before. After searching the forum for cattle point info I'm still a little skeptical as it seems like there's mixed reviews of the launch site. With two people, a smaller welded aluminum c/c we should be good to go?? Lol.

Sounds like fishing is amazing right now, I hope to share a report soon. The school of 50lb sooke fish should be passing Vic by then!?

With two people, a smaller welded aluminum c/c we should be good to go?? Lol.

There is no dock, but you won't have a problem. south east wind makes it difficult as does low water.
keep any eye on the low tide in the morning, you may want to wait until it comes up for an easier launch.

went out last night off breakwater from 6-8 and were skunked.

debate before between flats and breakwater... i convinced him of flats. my bad haha

based on GDW's report and that of Dfrase, it would have been nice to have the downriggers out near constance last night.

went out last night off breakwater from 6-8 and were skunked.

debate before between flats and breakwater... i convinced him of flats. my bad haha

haha this was meant to read "i convinced him of BREAKWATER" which is where we got skunked

Yup... It's amazing fishing out there. Fished noon - 3:30 for these and released/lost many many more the Mrs. counted 19 hook ups. Believe it or not we didn't even fish hard taking a couple 15-20 minute breaks after long scraps with feisty fish.

View attachment 8096
View attachment 8097

The above pictures are the same fish.

Fishing was so good on the way in I called my dad and brother in law to see of they wanted theirs. They did - back out and again 4-7pm or so.

View attachment 8098

Kept a couple smaller bleeders this time. We got less 20 pounders on the second shift but still tossed back a couple and lots of 10-16's.

Triple header with my dad and bro in law was chaos but watching and listening to the mrs. Battle those big feisty springs on her own was the highlight.

4 days in a row of easy limits for me and my revolving crew. Took different people out each day between everyone we kept 20 springs over the 4 days and released at least double that plus lost a whole pile too. Countless double headers, one triple header, no seal attacks and for the last two days flat calm water.

This is paradise.

All but one spring I saw at the boat was a hatchery fish these are washington states finest. Most are 10-20 pounds the biggest weighed was over 21 but I didn't weigh them all. I think I had one or two 25's to the boat and released but its hard to tell weight in the water.

Speaking of oak bay I haven't caught a single pink there. I actually haven't caught one pink all year... Fishing is as good as pinks in the tide lines but all springs!

I think I saw you slaying them on Mon evening on the flats, GDW. You were in that blue boat, right? We had three nice teeners too that night on the flats. Great fishing!

Im in the same boat as you dfrase. I convinced my boyfriend to go out to breakwater (first time fishing there) and we got skunked too same time. Must have seen you out there. To top it off it sucked cause we saw gdw on the way in with his fish when we were going out. Then when we were coming back we saw his dad come back and unload his fish and take that pic! lol ahhh obvious we had choose the wrong spot :(:p that sucked

Yup, Oak Bay has been on fire but the breakwall does hold some fish. I'm wondering if the OB springs came around the bottom of the island? Gulf islands was hot early June.

I've been fishing Oak Bay hard in close to the kelp for two weeks and seen absolutely no sign of salmon in there so I ventured out deep with all these fabulous reports. Tried the flats for two hours today and didn't see anything caught out of the dozen boats pounding the area.

I've been fishing Oak Bay hard in close to the kelp for two weeks and seen absolutely no sign of salmon in there so I ventured out deep with all these fabulous reports. Tried the flats for two hours today and didn't see anything caught out of the dozen boats pounding the area.

It was a short bite on Tuesday, all over in about 45 mins.
timing is everything. :)

Tried to fish Constance at 5am this morning until a rogue wave soaked me to the bone. Huge swells and white caps should have given me a clue not to be there. Went to Oak Bay flats looking for calmer water and it paid off with 2 nice hatch springs 15 and 11 lb then topped it off with 4 nice crabs home before 9 am

Attachments

• IMG_0578.jpg
    IMG_0578.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 629
I fished this morning solo on the waterfront. Lots of boats out and good to see people catching fish. I had three hits total. 2 fish to the boat. I kept the mid/upper teen hatch spring and released about an 8 pounder. The teen was caught on a large herring left over from Hali fishing in a teaser head behind a chrome nootka flasher on the peetz. 8# was on an anchovy and then lost one on a tomack #2. Good Sunday morning fun!

I can't say I've ever caught a spring quite as football like as this one so I put the head in the box and hopefully it has a tag.

Would be interested to hear how the other 50 boats did!! I'll take any tips on the hook setup for big bait like this! I'd say my stinger is too far back and too big. But it worked...

Ap

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374452019.331485.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1374452172.084926.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1374452199.605296.jpg

I was in the pack there. I had a pretty good morning. I hooked three Springs all about the same size. One came home with me, it was exactly 20 pounds on the scale. One a few minutes later broke me off, and with the last one, my net got tangled around the rod holder when it was getting time to net. While I was holding the rod with one hand and fumbling with the other to unhook the net from the that rod holder, the fish gave one sudden last pull and popped the hook. LOL Also, I released 7 unclipped Coho. No Pinkaroos for me although I talked to one fellow who had caught one.

All my fish were hooked on Coho Killers.

Nice fish Andrew, I never has a chance to get out Saturday or Sunday but its looks like there are some nice fish in the Oak Bay area still. Lack of reports is odd though. Will be in Renfrew this weekend for the Davey Derby hope to see at lot of you out there

Cheers

The fish didnt seem to mind on the Oak Bay Flats. 15 lb football and 18 lb wild long this am between 10- 1230.

anchovie. no flasher

image.jpg

JL

Right on JL as the spray bottle says that's Fantastic!

Been a great year locally arguably better then a lot of the popular west coast spots. I wonder if these fish were here last year and i missed them because i headed to sooke too often or what?

W/O flasher is the way to go if you can get them to bite that way much better fight looks like a fun morning!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back