Victoria 2013 Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fished in front of Esquimalt this morning again. Lots of action from three species.

One small Spring to hand, released it. Another about 12ish pounds to the boat and a seal took it. No bigger fish for me today.

Caught a beauty unclipped Coho of about 10 pounds. Watched it finning along the surface then about 45 seconds later my line popped free of the rigger. A classic Coho battle ensued with crazy jumping and surface action. Awesome fish, released unscathed.

Bonked four Pinks for the smoker.

A great day on the water.

Out 10 till 130 and got blanked. i think the bite was early. not as much on the sonar as yesterday. saw a couple of jigggers pull some fish in. The birds were going crazy everywhere. Sometimes the water got a bit nasty. the tide was sure ripping today. If you got off your tack it sure took some time to get back. My go pro was a bust. the new screen to clear up the green doesnt work under 65 feet. too dark.

JL

heading out in the morning just contemplating wether I should
Try oak bay or go to the waterfront any suggestions?

Jf

Fished the waterfront this morning. No springs for us. Brining up three pinks that we picked up around noon in fairly shallow water.

Fished waterfront Monday, picked up a spring just shy of 14 lbs at 5:45. Fished same place this morning and lost a spring to a seal; maybe 10 - 12 lbs from what the head looked like, and that's all I got to the boat. Other boats were pulling fish. OTOH, saw two or three guide boats flying to the OB flats around 6. I was off the water both days before 7; still doing the work thing.

anyone have some local advice they are willing to share to a mid island guy coming down this weekend fishing with the family? pinks springs doesn't matter
cheers

Ventured out on the waterfront today for the first time for salmon this year, went from 7-11, and not a sniff! Saw a few caught around us, but our lures/bait wasn't doing the trick today. Think it's back to Sooke for me! HookNSlice, that would be my advice to you.

Come on man! 4 hours out of season that is already a few months old. LOL throw in the towel and go elsewhere!? My advice to you...get out and try for a second day. Unless the fish just jump into your boat, I think its worth a second pass.

But you are right, Sooke has been a bloody mess of fish and worth a stop for sure!

Come on man! 4 hours out of season that is already a few months old. LOL throw in the towel and go elsewhere!? My advice to you...get out and try for a second day. Unless the fish just jump into your boat, I think its worth a second pass.

Dont worry Adler I did the second pass, not worth it. Weve tried twice at the waterfront. I had one small hit out of 2 4-5 hour shifts. I have a feeling if you have to fish the waterfront do it very early or very late.

Hey Finished Bus, I live in between the two and find that deciding where to fish, first based on launch and then again on the water when deciding where exactly to drop the lines, is the hardest decision. Trying to understand currents, fish etc, but when I head to Sooke, the chances of getting a bite on seem to be much greater. Usually choose to launch out of Vic when targeting hali, and head to Sooke for salmon. The two Springs I caught out there last Saturday seem to make that decision worth while. But I'm still a beginner in the area, just getting out as often as possible to try different things in different places. I'll be back on the waterfront one day, but when my nieces and nephews are visiting, I"m taking them to Sooke for pinks!

Fished Oak Bay Flats from 9 till noonish. Was a grind out there. Managed one 11.25 lb hatch spring and I think we were lucky with that. Anchovy on the bottom 120' ish. Fish caught on the other rod that didnt have the go pro. quick review of footage showed no fish, not even interest. Wasnt sounding a whole bunch either.

JL

Fished Oak Bay Flats from 9 till noonish. Was a grind out there. Managed one 11.25 lb hatch spring and I think we were lucky with that. Anchovy on the bottom 120' ish. Fish caught on the other rod that didnt have the go pro. quick review of footage showed no fish, not even interest. Wasnt sounding a whole bunch either.

JL

hmmm...perhaps the recent wave over the last couple weeks has moved through. Anyone know where they might be holding around the corner between Ten Mile Point and Sidney? Or reports around fairfax, Coal, etc??!! Thinking of going out this evening and that side looks a whole lot calmer for wind.

There were some pinks at Pender bluffs on Saturday afternoon and Sunday. Not real thick like at Constance a weekl or so ago, but they were jumping and biting for those trolling and jigging.

Went to Constance this morning. Couple hours with 1 pink to show for it. It was getting nasty out, so we packed up and headed for the waterfront. Picked up a 16#, 12# and 3 more pinks. We also lost a freight train, fought for a couple minutes, then spat the hook. Felt heavy with lots of power.....too bad. We never got a look.

hmmm...perhaps the recent wave over the last couple weeks has moved through. Anyone know where they might be holding around the corner between Ten Mile Point and Sidney? Or reports around fairfax, Coal, etc??!! Thinking of going out this evening and that side looks a whole lot calmer for wind.

ten mile was dead last night. no bites but lots of bait around. sidney is supposedly hot tho

Fished flats 1130-230 today. Jiggers were on fire. I saw 6 nice fish hauled in over slack. I was trolling and got skunked. Tried everything from chovies to spoons to no flashers, to dummies to regular setup. Tons of bait and lots of obvious arches on the sounder. All fish caught in close 50ft of water. Frustrating week with fog wind big tides and spotty fishing. To Sidney perhaps?

Fished flats 1130-230 today. Jiggers were on fire. I saw 6 nice fish hauled in over slack. I was trolling and got skunked. Tried everything from chovies to spoons to no flashers, to dummies to regular setup. Tons of bait and lots of obvious arches on the sounder. All fish caught in close 50ft of water. Frustrating week with fog wind big tides and spotty fishing. To Sidney perhaps?

If those jigging were hooking fish, why didn't you try that too?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back