Victoria 2013 Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Out today in a buddy’s boat for a few hours. Fished out in front of Pedder Bay and got a shaker then over to Albert Head where we got a few small Chinook all 5 lbs or less. Released all but one for dinner. Also not much currant so put down a couple of Prawn Traps and got a good feed of large Prawns. Guess they are not all out at Saanich Inlet. Another boat had a double header and got a 9 lber and lost the other one to a seal.

There was also a lot of RCMP boats that looked like they were training/travelling together. One huge blue cruiser, 5 go fast smaller boats (RIBs I think) and a Tin boat. Looked like they rafted up at Albert Head for lunch.

Hey Rockfish,

How deep did you put the traps? I heard they are out there, but you need lots of rope and it's good to throw and anchor down with them. That sounds like my haibut anchor set up. Were they the striped prawns? I heard they are spottd in he inlet, but striped in JDF.

Very little current today, He put them down about 200 feet and we pulled them once and reset them with his puller. The first one had nothing in it and the 2nd trap had a lot of very large prawns. He was using that pellet bait from Trotac. We reset the two traps near where we got the prawns but mostly got shrimp from large to small and a few prawns. The Prawns were striped. They seem to be very location specific so if you find them in numbers, mark it on your GPS Chart Plotter and guard it like you would a great Hali spot.

They only have a few white strips on the head and 4 white spots on the tail. Have not done a lot of prawning myself. They are Spot Prawns

Last edited by a moderator:
There are spotted prawns out there. A few of the halibut I caught last year told me about them. Some real nice sized ones too.

I thought prawns were closed but might be confused the regs are a little bit all over the map for area 19.

Last edited by a moderator:
They are closed in the inlet until March 15, but no mention of other sub area's of 19.
DFO must figure they will not be fished on the outside.

No craven is correct pulse fishing in the inlet and area 19 isn't listed with the other areas that close jan1-mar31 so it must be open. I was under the incorrect impression everywhere closed except the pulse fishing.

"The harvest of prawns and shrimp by trap, ring net, or spear while diving"

i want to know who the F spears prawns? and how does one go about "spearing" a prawn? Cant say i have heard anyone doing it lol

Out today at Constance. 3 nice keeper Springs, 2 let go and 1 halibut a week too early. All on anchovy, purple haze. Lots of boats off the waterfront today in the gorgeous weather. Lets see some more reports. We couldn't have been the only one's to catch something.

Attachments

• Winter Springs 2013.jpg
    Winter Springs 2013.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 974
Closer to shore we had 6 fish on spoons in a few hours.
Unfortunately they were all small and we released all but one around 6lbs

Out from 11 to 2 on the bank today,

got one, 8 lbs . Lost another similar in size by the boat. Also one nice hali. All fish caught on squirts.

Hope the weather is good next weekend.

JF

correction to my last,

forgot to mention that i did release the hali. Must play by the rules and wait until next saturday :)

us too. catch and release for a nice halibut on the flats this afternoon.

Got out yesterday afternoon between Clover point and the harbour in calm weather with rain off and on. Stuck it out only to have a nice fish grabbed by a seal off the flagpole. They always look bigger when they're not in the boat, but it had to be over ten pounds. Tried to run on top of it as suggested once by Craven, I think, but it was too far away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back