Victoria 2013 Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
I made the call to go to the waterfront and the weather was amazing, the catching, not so much. I was expecting slop and it was a beautiful glassy evening.

We didn't hook into any fish though. Rolling chovies and small and large herring. 27-60'. Talked to a guy that got some hits at 70'. Perhaps we were too shallow.

No fish but great fishing.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374816163.551350.jpg

Wow!! I'm still buzzing! Went out off the waterfront this morning. Hit my honey hole, and it was hot! Like fishing for coho, but with 20 pound springs. Lost 4 in the 20 pound range, and landed a 25, 22, and a 17. My son actually landed the 25, and he's 7, but an experienced 7 now. All the action was from 7-930, then nothing.
Amazing morning!!

Wasn't gonna fish today, but a buddy got me psyched to jig so we went out 1145-130. Tons of bait on the sounder as low slack came on. Jigged 60-70ft on the flats and got a nice 20-25lb Hali and a hatch 15 spring. Lost a bigger spring at the boat and pulled up 3 dogs. Needlefish was so thick it was getting stuck on our treble hooks! Am gonna send the head in of the spring- curious where all these hatch jig friendly springs are coming from.

Lots 'o Pinks around Esquimalt this morning. Couldn't scrape up a Spring though, didn't see any caught either. Also a few Coho long line released.

Another beauty day on the water (except for the wee bit of fog) ;)

got out this morning from cattle point at 530 before the rush, missed the fog on the way out. big slimy pink salmon bellies landed a 60lb hali for my newbie guest from England. High fives all around. Lots of boats working the flats to avoid the fog on the strait and I saw some salmon coming in off the flats when we came in at 930.

Fished the waterfront 6:30 to 11:30. After a couple hours without springs in close, we popped out into the 200-15 foot range directly off Brotchie to pick up some pinks for my new-to-fishing-friend (same place they were Friday morning when I took out another non-fisherman and his son - lots of fun). Came back in close for a while before the fog settled in but still no springs for us. Saw one picked up before we came in. A couple springs plus some halibut showed up at EA from the bank.

Fog lifted around 1:30and it turned out real nice.
It really lit up around 3:00pm for the jiggers, caught the tail end of it and
ended up with a 12lb'er
2 boats had fish on consistently for almost 40 mins.
Troller's did not fare as well from what we saw....

left the downriggers off the boat today to try our hand at jigging the flats from 7-1. No luck except for some cod. Haven't done jigging in years. boy are the arms tired tonight after 6 hours of that. Saw only a couple springs caught and the Creel guy at Cattle Point said it was slow today for springs.

out on the flats from 8am -12.
saw 5 fish netted.
Got 1- 8# off the bottom

Good job. It's great when things come together like that. Was there a seal show as well? I find that when I'm the only boat out, that the seals sometimes don't bother getting off the rocks, but lots of boats gets them fired up like stupid dogs chasing cars.

What do you guys use when "jigging" the flats?buzz bombs?and also never fished that area, I know you launch of cattle what area I'm I looking for on the charts. Thanks!

What do you guys use when "jigging" the flats?buzz bombs?and also never fished that area, I know you launch of cattle what area I'm I looking for on the charts. Thanks!

The "Flats" is generally the area outside the Chain Islets / Discovery out to the US Border. For the most part, its a flat sandy bottom that gradually gets deeper as you move out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back