VHF receiving but not sending

I understand it is possible to burn out your transmitter. I have been told to never key your mike without an antenna.

Most have a low power transmit setting for close range as well as full power. If you are trying to talk to a station at distance make sure you are on full power. If you are receiving well from distance I would think that most likely your antenna is OK

Last edited by a moderator:
try another mic if you can

I think if it is receiving well it is unlikely to be a ground or an antennae. I assume the lights in the radio work-what happens to the lights when you key the Mike-do they dim or change-if they do it could be a ground. When you key the mike does it say TX on the display-if no try another Mike-if yes take the radio in with the Mike and get it checked. Pull all your plug-ins-ie. mic and antenna clean all leads and spray with contact cleaner. That's about all I can think of to check yourself. May not be in order

Thanks for posting this ... having same problem, reminds me to get on it. Weird thing, is it works sometimes. I have a handheld too, which is handy for testing (can hear if it is sending or not). And also nice for back-up....though a good back-up may reduce incentive to fix the problem! ;-)

My 2 year old icom started doing the same thing off renfrew this summer, weird common occurance it seems.
Im ripping the whole system out antennta to mic this summer and replacing with all new stuff. Dont want to mess around with safety out there especially with future tuna runs in the plans, juandesooka ;)
Standard horizon i saw has vhf's with gps built right in for emergencies, as well as built in AIS systems, so you can call other boats with ais and talk to only them, and see their positions.

Riptide (and any others on forum).... In my former life I was a navigation/communication tech (marine). I am in courtenay, but if you are close, 5 mins with my bird wattmeter will tell you if it has any Tx output.

Back